2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

The hard tire stint in Jeddah now reminds me of the hard tire stint in Hungary last year.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 18:10
The hard tire stint in Jeddah now reminds me of the hard tire stint in Hungary last year.
To be fair, the hard tyre was especially bad in Hungary because it was super cold, no? No one could put heat into the tyres. I don't know if the same is necessarily true for Jeddah

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SoulPancake13 wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 18:28
AR3-GP wrote:
To be fair, the hard tyre was especially bad in Hungary because it was super cold, no? No one could put heat into the tyres. I don't know if the same is necessarily true for Jeddah
It has been reported (from either Duchessa or one of the many italian journos), that you can see the tire temperature on the steering wheel in the Ferrari and that Ferrari did not generate enough tire temperature on the hard tire in Jeddah either.

the circumstances might have been different, but the general phenomena is the same. A Ferrari that is unable to generate tire temperature is very slow.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 18:29
SoulPancake13 wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 18:28
AR3-GP wrote:
It has been reported (from either Duchessa or one of the many italian journos), that you can see the tire temperature on the steering wheel in the Ferrari and that Ferrari did not generate enough tire temperature on the hard tire in Jeddah either.

the circumstances might have been different, but the general phenomena is the same. A Ferrari that is unable to generate tire temperature is very slow.
Wonder why Sainz said the tyres overheat when they try to push then, both drivers said they were pushing as hard as they could but had 0 pace. Seems clear that the tyres in this case didn't overheat. My guess would be a lack of downforce due to an unexpected stiffness in the hard that raised the ride height.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Leclerc confirmed to Sky Sport Italy that right now they are slower than last year.

He also still hopes to win this year which i don't think is possible, but who knows.

Is the SF 23 the only car that is slower than the previous one?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 13:10
Strange interview with Sainz.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/ferraris ... pt-change/
Reads like big blame shifting... From his side, it's not his fault, it's the car. From Vigna/Elkann perspective, it's not the team, it's the prior team leadership (Binotto and co). Perfect.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 15:18
AR3-GP wrote:

Reads like big blame shifting... From his side, it's not his fault, it's the car. From Vigna/Elkann perspective, it's not the team, it's the prior team leadership (Binotto and co). Perfect.
I don't know about the blame shifting. It's what he is saying about the car that is worrying. Talk about it being peaky and how Ferrari underestimated how much rivals were impacted by the new regulations. That they basically thought everyone else would be in the same boat, but that it turned out not to be the case. Furthermore, that these behaviors are correlated with what they say in the windtunnel and as i said before, they knew it and assumed others would be the same.

It doesn't sound like there is an glaring issue with the way the car was being run in Bahrain and Jeddah. Instead they know they need to just put a lot of performance on the car, to catch RB.
“Our analysis from the first few races is there’s no fundamental issue with the car,” said Sainz. “It’s just a very peaky car, a very unpredictable car in the race.
“With the change of regulations, the car becoming slower, we thought that this was normal and the car would become a bit more peaky,” said Sainz. “And we thought that with the compensations that we did, the targets were OK and we were going to be fast.

“We got to the first test and we immediately saw people haven’t suffered from the change of regulations, they are much quicker than last year and this left us thinking whether we have something that we didn’t get right.

Of course this all contradicts Vigna saying the SF23 has unprecedented speed and was 1 second faster. Confusing.

LM10
LM10

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 15:20
Vanja #66 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I don't know about the blame shifting. It's what he is saying about the car that is worrying. Talk about it being peaky and how Ferrari underestimated how much rivals were impacted by the new regulations. That they basically thought everyone else would be in the same boat, but that it turned out not to be the case. Furthermore, that these behaviors are correlated with what they say in the windtunnel and as i said before, they knew it and assumed others would be the same.
“Our analysis from the first few races is there’s no fundamental issue with the car,” said Sainz. “It’s just a very peaky car, a very unpredictable car in the race.
“With the change of regulations, the car becoming slower, we thought that this was normal and the car would become a bit more peaky,” said Sainz. “And we thought that with the compensations that we did, the targets were OK and we were going to be fast.

“We got to the first test and we immediately saw people haven’t suffered from the change of regulations, they are much quicker than last year and this left us thinking whether we have something that we didn’t get right.
The only worrying part in the long text of this article could be this sentence: "But clearly as the cars have developed the capacity of development of the Red Bull direction is a lot higher than the capacity of development of our project."

The question is how to interpret this. After all the endless comments on how Ferrari's concept has big development potential, it's hard to believe this opinion suddenly changed now. The difference to Mercedes for example is that they've had doubts about their concept already in the middle of last season. Ferrari, on the other hand, not only clearly said before the beginning of last season that they had looked at all possible concepts - including the one from RBR - and eventually decided to go for their current one because they were sure of this concept having the biggest potential for them, there also for the whole of last season was no single comment regarding concept and also this season no doubt about the concept being wrong - until now with Sainz saying it?

Whatever Ferrari decides to do, I'm sure if anything, it will be a mixture of concepts. Their car is too unique especially with their cooling arrangement to completely go the RBR route.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

LM10 wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 15:36
AR3-GP wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 15:20
Vanja #66 wrote:

The only worrying part in the long text of this article could be this sentence: "But clearly as the cars have developed the capacity of development of the Red Bull direction is a lot higher than the capacity of development of our project."
The entire article is alarming....but to me this quote in particular is probably more speculative. We can't know. I believe it's less about development potential, and more about the execution of your concept. We are still in fairly early days with these cars. No one is anywhere near their upper limit and that includes Ferrari. As I said before, it's execution that matters right now.

What there can be no ifs, buts, and cuts about is how Sainz describes the current car, and his view that Ferrari are being caught out others having been able to improve so much.

As I said, it's very contradictory to what Vigna said a month ago so who knows what the real picture is. Sainz is generally far more optimistic and willing to put a positive spin on things (as you can see he tries here), but even he comes across negatively now.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 30 Mar 2023, 15:43, edited 3 times in total.

F1NAC

I think it's safe to say that regarding car preformance we can dismiss CEO's comments.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

I think the development potential contradiction can be parsed, most likely the concept had more potential before the TD/height increase and it isn't the case anymore after the changes. The floor liked to be run down low, the TD forced it to be run higher, then the floor height increase put a cap on their floor philosophy, whatever its nuance may be.
No idea where Vigna got his numbers from though :?

jambuka
jambuka

I don’t trust Sainz nowadays either. He is even slower than Charles in the same car.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

jambuka wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 15:44
I don’t trust Sainz nowadays either. He is even slower than Charles in the same car.
The problem is that Leclerc is the far more pessimistic driver of the two. It's worrying when Sainz starts being pessimistic as he is normally the more optimistic of the two. Leclerc already sounded like someone killed his dog in Bahrain, Sainz was the opposite. Now Sainz is turning.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 15:49
jambuka wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 15:44
The problem is that Leclerc is the far more pessimistic driver of the two. It's worrying when Sainz starts being pessimistic as he is normally the more optimistic of the two. Leclerc already sounded like someone killed his dog in Bahrain, Sainz was the opposite. Now Sainz is turning.
I mean the car was almost 1s slower in Bahrain, so of course Charles wasn't very happy. The performance was even worse in Jeddah.