2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Ah understood

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 18:08
Macklaren wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 18:04
AR3-GP wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 17:38

This reflects poorly on Seidl.
Why?
I didn't mean the Niel Oatley context. I was referring to your link which outlines all of the technical and structural changes being made to unlock Mclaren's potential, as soon as the previous guy in charge left...Almost as if to say this is what the previous guy should have done...

Seidl did good to push for new infrastructure however, so I'd say he did some good things but maybe Stella is doing the rest of what should have been done seasons ago.
Other articles suggest seidl would have been resistant to this big overhaul.

Yes it is all very positive. Giving agency and responsibility to the senior technical figures within the team is crucial and to talk about PP being underutilized under the previous regime is quite damning imo.

Stella coming from inside McLaren and the way it is being discussed makes me confident this is the right move

genarro
genarro

organic wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 20:17
AR3-GP wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 18:04

Why?
I didn't mean the Niel Oatley context. I was referring to your link which outlines all of the technical and structural changes being made to unlock Mclaren's potential, as soon as the previous guy in charge left...Almost as if to say this is what the previous guy should have done...

Seidl did good to push for new infrastructure however, so I'd say he did some good things but maybe Stella is doing the rest of what should have been done seasons ago.

Yes it is all very positive. Giving agency and responsibility to the senior technical figures within the team is crucial and to talk about PP being underutilized under the previous regime is quite damning imo.

Stella coming from inside McLaren and the way it is being discussed makes me confident this is the right move
I get the feeling that seidl leaving is a little bit of a blessing in disguise...

Stella just has a intelectual presence in everything he has said and donein the last coupke of months

Macklaren
Macklaren

Nice start to the weekend in fp1

Darth-Piekus

Albert Park is a circuit that doesnt punish drag that much while playing to the cars strength. I was expecting the car to be much better than even Jedda.

f1rules
f1rules

Offcourse the team wants to highlight whats going to happen with the new structure, trying to win some credibility back to the project. That being said. Reading between the lines and, the criticism of Key is very outspoken. Slow, conservative and micromanaging/suffocating the other senior tech heads and departments. How this was allowed i simply cannot understand, but these things happen and to some extent, this puts a bad light on Seidl.
Now Stella so far made a very very good impression i have to say. He hesitated to take on the position but man, did he take revenge and i mean that so very positively. If one didnt know better he seems to have prepared for this for a long time with a clear idea of where he wants to bring the organisation. Also he has the experience and hands on knowledge to not getting fooled in any way.
Lastly, and this is something i have been SHOUTING for, for a very long time, be pragmatic, stop following the stubborn williams route, copy if necessary, buy from others if necessary, whatever gains you an advantage, so remarks like this from Stella just makes me that more encouraged
Stella "you need to be sometimes pragmatic, utilize common sense. I don’t think we were very good at doing that previously."

f1rules
f1rules

Agree
genarro wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 20:52
organic wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 20:17
AR3-GP wrote:

I get the feeling that seidl leaving is a little bit of a blessing in disguise...

Stella just has a intelectual presence in everything he has said and donein the last coupke of months

JordanMugen

f1rules wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 08:03
Slow, conservative and micromanaging/suffocating the other senior tech heads and departments.
:wtf:

Key was supposed to be the technical director with final say after all, I suppose.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

And I was glad to hear that it was Stella who became the team leader. I remember his common sense back in those days when he was Alonso's race engineer at Ferrari. Very calm, does not give in to emotions. Let's just say, not a typical Italian 🙂 In addition, McLaren made a smart bet that they took on the leadership of someone who knows the team well and for a long time from the inside and knows where to move the team. Therefore, we now see all the permutations. As a performance engineer and the person responsible for McLaren's good pit stops last year, I'm sure the team will only get better.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

f1rules wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 08:03
Offcourse the team wants to highlight whats going to happen with the new structure, trying to win some credibility back to the project. That being said. Reading between the lines and, the criticism of Key is very outspoken. Slow, conservative and micromanaging/suffocating the other senior tech heads and departments. How this was allowed i simply cannot understand, but these things happen and to some extent, this puts a bad light on Seidl.
Now Stella so far made a very very good impression i have to say. He hesitated to take on the position but man, did he take revenge and i mean that so very positively. If one didnt know better he seems to have prepared for this for a long time with a clear idea of where he wants to bring the organisation. Also he has the experience and hands on knowledge to not getting fooled in any way.
Lastly, and this is something i have been SHOUTING for, for a very long time, be pragmatic, stop following the stubborn williams route, copy if necessary, buy from others if necessary, whatever gains you an advantage, so remarks like this from Stella just makes me that more encouraged
Stella "you need to be sometimes pragmatic, utilize common sense. I don’t think we were very good at doing that previously."
I feel the same way.

Reading through that article with Stella (https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/stel ... /10450227/) I think it is obvious that Key made all the major decisions and that he probably overruled Prodromou regarding aero direction. Once we saw that the car was a flop - decisions were made and Key was sacked.

Stella is making a decisive moves. I like that. I would rather we take more risk than take a conservative route and remain a midfield team.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Oscar's beyond the grid podcast interview was very good. An articulate young man, clam with the right amount of confidence.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

Lucky wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 16:14
mclaren111 wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 15:09
Another "advantage" of the new struture is that you now have 3 top people outside the Cost Cap as Senior Management Pay is excluded...
Only three people from the team fall under the cost cap + pilots

Ok. Thanks

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 12:24
https://i.imgur.com/AOw9Wap.jpeg
We seem to have mechanical grip and downforce.

If we can keep that and become less draggy it is a hell of a car.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Slahinki
Slahinki

BosF1 wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 15:19
LionsHeart wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 08:46
(...) Therefore, we now see all the permutations. As a performance engineer and the person responsible for McLaren's good pit stops last year, I'm sure the team will only get better.
Than you, sir, did a very good job last year! May I ask if it is possible to give a little insight to us fans about how much work goes into pit stop perfectioning? I'm not asking for detailed stuff, as I'm sure that is not meant for us to read. But all information is welcome!
Talking about Stella, not about himself.