2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NAPI10
NAPI10

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

djos wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 11:37
Some good advice here for us McLaren fans.

🤣
:lol: :lol: :lol: =D>

RS200E

ort895 wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 15:53
RS200E wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 13:48
Wow we really are terrible. Oscar is underwhelming too.
It is the third round of his rookie year in a odd session.....what is wrong with you?
Nothing, I'm perfect. Oscar on the other hand hasn't shown that he is anything special in an F1 car. He's up against one of the best so he better step up tomorrow. New F1 drivers are extremely well prepared so if they aren't showing what they have immediately they never will. Get back to me middle if next year when you and the 3 others are still making excuses for him getting destroyed by Lando.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

Seerix
Seerix

RS200E wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 19:37
ort895 wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 15:53
RS200E wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 13:48
Wow we really are terrible. Oscar is underwhelming too.
It is the third round of his rookie year in a odd session.....what is wrong with you?
Nothing, I'm perfect. Oscar on the other hand hasn't shown that he is anything special in an F1 car. He's up against one of the best so he better step up tomorrow. New F1 drivers are extremely well prepared so if they aren't showing what they have immediately they never will. Get back to me middle if next year when you and the 3 others are still making excuses for him getting destroyed by Lando.
Who would you prefer? Gasly, who got served by Max and therefore, by your definition, is up to no good?
Piastri has shown plenty enough to be where he is now. Get back to me middle of next year and we'll see how is he doing.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

I expected the Alpine to show a good delta on the back straight, but I am surprised Ocon gets a better launch out of turn 1/2.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

RS200E wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 22:47
Seerix wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 19:58
RS200E wrote:

Who would you prefer? Gasly, who got served by Max and therefore, by your definition, is up to no good?
Piastri has shown plenty enough to be where he is now. Get back to me middle of next year and we'll see how is he doing.
I never said anything about Gasly what are you rambling on about. It's not about what any of us would prefer, it's about what has happened thus far, which is that McLaren cannot attract top talent from the current grid any more. The unfounded praise from small number of people on here won't change the fact that Piastri is not as fast as Norris, just like Ricciardo was not as fast as Norris.

It's going to take a lot more than a deluded Australian groundhog day posting forum member and a few others to change all that. McLaren will be left with no top driver if they don't sort themselves out soon.
How could one conclude after 3 races that Piastri is not as fast as Norris?

After 3 races in 2021, Ocon appeared faster than Alonso.

Slahinki
Slahinki

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 23:14
RS200E wrote:
Seerix wrote:

I never said anything about Gasly what are you rambling on about. It's not about what any of us would prefer, it's about what has happened thus far, which is that McLaren cannot attract top talent from the current grid any more. The unfounded praise from small number of people on here won't change the fact that Piastri is not as fast as Norris, just like Ricciardo was not as fast as Norris.

It's going to take a lot more than a deluded Australian groundhog day posting forum member and a few others to change all that. McLaren will be left with no top driver if they don't sort themselves out soon.
How could one conclude after 3 races that Piastri is not as fast as Norris?

After 3 races in 2021, Ocon appeared faster than Alonso.
One cannot, and anyone claiming otherwise is utterly silly. To put it mildly.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Lando being a bit self-critical on his quali performance: https://www.racefans.net/2023/04/01/nor ... -q3-again/

I know this is a normal thing among elite sportspeople, and it's good that he's identified areas where he can get a better overall lap at the expense of a good corner, but I feel he's probably being a little bit too hard on himself. I did get an inkling something might be wrong on one of his last quali runs in Q2, where he put in a 31.xxx first sector after a slow lap.

Piastri's interview in the pen, post quali, was good too. To hear the driver's thought process when learning about setup in quali, especially since he did so well in free practice sessions, was really interesting.

The other cars look too fast -- that Williams is unbelievable -- and it'll probably be DRS-train city in the race today, but ... other teams can still make mistakes. No help from the rain today, unfortunately :)

Seerix
Seerix

RS200E wrote:
Seerix wrote:
RS200E wrote:

It was a question. You understand what a question is, do you?
"Who would you prefer?"
I never said you mentioned Gasly anywhere, so please, calm down and read with understanding and stop rambling same thing over and over and over.... an over ;)
cheers

runningmanz
runningmanz

RS200E wrote:
Seerix wrote:
RS200E wrote:

I've been away for a while and I see your clownish comments haven't improved. We all know what your trying to do. Your not doing yourself any favours with your ridiculous negative bias against Australian F1 drivers. Oscar is the real deal. As for Ricciardo he has already proven more than enough over the years and deserves some respect. Who knows why he had a rough patch at McLaren but he still achieved a hell of alot before that in motor racing. Even if he never races in F1 again which is far from certain he has definitely had a fantastic career already, more than many F1 drivers over the years.
Last edited by runningmanz on 02 Apr 2023, 02:50, edited 2 times in total.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Interesting comments from Horner on Zak, Dan and his time at McLaren. Wonder what bad habits they are referring to from his McLaren stint and what they have seen in the RBR sim.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/christian ... wn-daniel-

Hopefully Oscar and Lando can get a clean run at it today and the race pace is alot better than qualli. Would be nice to get on the board with some points.

Rodak
Rodak

Slahinki wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 13:11
djos wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 13:01
Ben1980 wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 12:35
Criticism is fine. But pointless Criticism is, we'll pointless.

Just saying its slow, it's rubbish, etc is just pointless. Especially when the team have explained the plan and understood a problem.

Now, if towards the end of the season nothing has changed, that's a different matter.
Expressing one’s frustration that the car is slower, relatively speaking, than last year’s car is entirely valid. Yes we know a better car is coming, However, last year the Singapore car was supposed to be a big step forward, and yet wasn’t.
The car isn't slower than last year relatively speaking though. It's just that everybody else has improved more than what our abandoned concept has.

https://preview.redd.it/ujvddcp608ra1.p ... 6620c2180a

As you can see we're still 0.742% faster than last year.
All good and well, except that 0.742% of a 1:18.00 lap is 0.59 seconds, and the chicane was removed. They're slower than last year.

djos

runningmanz wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 02:34
Interesting comments from Horner on Zak, Dan and his time at McLaren. Wonder what bad habits they are referring to from his McLaren stint and what they have seen in the RBR sim.

Indeed, pretty damming stuff - it's little wonder Key got the boot for delivering flawed cars!
Horner shared his thoughts on where it went wrong for Ricciardo at McLaren.

“I think the problem is when you drive a car that obviously has its limitations,” he said, “you adapt and you try and adjust to extract the maximum out of that car.

“And it was clear when he came back, that he picked up some habits that were not… that we didn’t recognise as the Daniel that had left us two or three years earlier.

“But having had time off over Christmas, and so on and a chance to reset, when he’s come back and got into the 2023 work, he’s hit the ground running and I think he likes the feel of the car in the virtual world which seems to correlate well with what we’re seeing in the actual world.

“And I think he’s desperate to get a run in the car at some point to validate that, but we’re certainly seeing him getting back to being far more reminiscent of the Daniel that we knew.”
Oscar is fortunate to be in the same position of Lando was, he's very young and adaptable - Daniel had clearly fully developed his style and it wasnt compatible with the Key McLaren's.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

Yeah will be interesting to see what happens with Dan now at RBR esp if Perez spirals.

Oscar is young and has already adapted well. Some guys are better at it but also you need to take into account performance ceiling and past history with the positive results with a guy like Dan. I'm sure RBR can see that and have good data on the sim to compare to Perez too.

Who knows, alot of things can change in a short amount of time with drivers and teams.

Anyway again I hope Lando and Oscar can get in the points finally. Our race pace has usually been better than qualli so fingers crossed. Won't be easy though.
Last edited by runningmanz on 02 Apr 2023, 03:38, edited 3 times in total.

Balalu
Balalu

runningmanz wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 02:34

Hopefully Oscar and Lando can get a clean run at it today and the race pace is alot better than qualli. Would be nice to get on the board with some points.
This is nothing more than Horner being Horner, throwing dirt at rivals, including Renault. Zak was wise enough not to fall for it.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Was about time we got some luck with the Safety / Red flags… 9-10th for the restart negates the issues with qualifying… Need to keep it clean at the restart and try to get a couple more positions… Tsunoda and Hulkenberg should be targets on paper