2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
vorticism

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

mendis wrote:
03 Apr 2023, 11:50
Did McLaren not fed Daniel well? :lol:

Horner making full use of that couch... If a journalist wanted to interview me without providing a proper table and chair, I would fully recline across whatever living room furniture was provided as their substitute.

𓄀

chrisc90

AR3-GP wrote:
03 Apr 2023, 14:54
I’m somewhat baffled by the sudden bewilderment from some teams and drivers surrounding RB’s DRS advantage. This point has been noted since very early in 2022. In fact, RB, had an even greater straight line speed advantage compared to Mercedes in 2022 owing to the incredibly draggy W13, and even Ferrari. So Hamilton’s comments in particular are curious. He’s actually closer on straight line speed this year than last year.
I wonder if anyone has done any comparison work between Max and Checo on the DRS where both cars were doing overtakes along the curved 'straight'.

mendis
mendis

chrisc90 wrote:
03 Apr 2023, 19:23
AR3-GP wrote:
03 Apr 2023, 14:54
I’m somewhat baffled by the sudden bewilderment from some teams and drivers surrounding RB’s DRS advantage. This point has been noted since very early in 2022. In fact, RB, had an even greater straight line speed advantage compared to Mercedes in 2022 owing to the incredibly draggy W13, and even Ferrari. So Hamilton’s comments in particular are curious. He’s actually closer on straight line speed this year than last year.
I wonder if anyone has done any comparison work between Max and Checo on the DRS where both cars were doing overtakes along the curved 'straight'.
On lap 6, Lewis with DRS did 316, Max with DRS did 326 and Perez with DRS did 332.

On lap 13 when Max overtook Lewis, Max with DRS did 324 and Lewis without did 298.

Perez also hit 341 on lap 22.

*F1live timing data (replay).

I assume Perez was put on low downforce set-up after his quali problem, which meant he started from pits. That's the reason for much higher top speeds compared to Max.

lio007

Speculation:
In the beginning of the V6 era they have been forced to design very efficient cars and aero concepts for obvious reasons.
What if they kept this philosophy, and with a far better PU now the result is a remarkable top speed.

etusch

Silent Storm wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 02:10
What do you think about it ? Same gear, Max's rpm is slightly higher while no throttle and quite lower speed. perez rpm is slightly lower in spite of slight throttle input and higher speed.

chrisc90

Actually looked like Checo braked earlier than Max and the speed drops off the same,

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

If I had to guess, RB genuinely were having warmup issues. Rb said there wasn't anything wrong with the car so it could have just been cold tires. The brake signal in the telemetry doesn't have any resolution so we don't know how hard the brake pedal was being pushed.

Max was also locking up in T13 in the race as the tires were getting too cold.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 03 Apr 2023, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

avantman
avantman

So, was Perez' issue with braking confirmed as a technical issue by the team and also by the fact they changed these parts under the parc ferme?
Car 11: Clutch material
Clutch actuator
Water radiator
Front brake friction material
Parameter changes associated with the front brake friction material replacement

I thought Perez sounded on the radio after the race like there was an issue which they managed to solve finally for the race. Windsor on the contrary, said like he talked to a couple of engineers from the team, and there wasn't any issue at all. He likes to talk made up rubbish from time to time, but still, I would like to know the truth, if possible.

Sieper

Imho the telemetry on screen can be trusted. Plus Marko, when it comes to these things, talks truth.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sieper wrote:
03 Apr 2023, 23:03
Imho the telemetry on screen can be trusted. Plus Marko, when it comes to these things, talks truth.
Telemetry on screen (the FOM stuff) can often be out of sync. Nevertheless you expect the same amount of "sync" loss on both onboards so you still have some idea of the relative speed vs other driver. You just don't know where exactly on track that it occured. It's close though.

Curbstone
Curbstone

chrisc90 wrote:
03 Apr 2023, 22:15

Actually looked like Checo braked earlier than Max and the speed drops off the same,
This telemetry looks weird. If you compare the speed graphic with the throttle an brake graphic it doesn't match.
In T1 'speed' Perez slows down, and accelerates earlier than Max, though the throttle and brake graphics are a equal between Max and Perez. That isn't possible.
Also it's remarkable that Perez decelerates as quick as Max, though in reality he wasn't anywhere near to slowing down in time. Another this is that de initiation of braking at T2 doesn't coincide with the reduction of throttle.

I reckon the telemetry isn't accurate enough to conclude anything from.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

That telemetry is not accurate hence I removed it from my earlier post.
Some checo fans are using it to prove he didn't make a mistake and it was the car but the telemetry is showing something else entirely.

Shows how telemetry can be tampered with...
On this site Juzh and dialtone can be trusted with their onboard and telemetry data.
The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

chrisc90

Silent Storm wrote:
04 Apr 2023, 11:07
That telemetry is not accurate hence I removed it from my earlier post.
Some checo fans are using it to prove he didn't make a mistake and it was the car but the telemetry is showing something else entirely.

Shows how telemetry can be tampered with...
On this site Juzh and dialtone can be trusted with their onboard and telemetry data.
I wasn’t saying it was there to be trusted. I seen it on the Twitter post/thread and thought would share it here as could have been constructive.

Juzh

etusch wrote:
03 Apr 2023, 22:05
Silent Storm wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 02:10
What do you think about it ? Same gear, Max's rpm is slightly higher while no throttle and quite lower speed. perez rpm is slightly lower in spite of slight throttle input and higher speed.
A warning, f1 app telemetry can't ever be trusted when doing analysis that require such precision. It has way too low refresh rate, way too much interpolation and suffers from high amount of jitter. It's only good for stuff like minimum speed and maximum speed observation and some other more general things (speed with drs on/off..).

On top of all that, how can we trust author of said image in his skills of aligning telemetry to correct timings for both cars?

All in all pointless comparison, available data is insufficient.

Juzh

To add, telemetry graph generated from fast f1 api (pretty much all of them on the internet these days, including F1-tempo for example) are most likely also not accurate enough for these pin-point comparisons.

This is from creator of fast f1, oehrly, himself:
It is extremely important to never assume that something is correct just because it looks right on the first glance. Often it is possible to validate the data “against itself” or just validate it logically. This may not always give absolute certainty that the results are accurate. But it can show when there are errors in the calculations. Or maybe the data is simply not accurate enough for what one is trying to do.

example of inaccuracy in f1-tempo's generated graphs (managed to fool myself even):
Perez' FP2 lap in melbourne as per official f1 on screen timings is 0.37 up on alonso's lap before being blocked:

f1-tempo on the other hand thinks it's almost 0.6s up at that point:

Only teams and FOM have access to telemetry accurate enough to make these precise comparisons. We've seen palmer use it a number of times and it also includes brake pressures among other things.