2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
continuum16

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Big Tea wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 18:41
mclaren111 wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 09:48
trinidefender wrote:
04 Apr 2023, 16:10

[...]
Totally agree... Zak has done a great job... Hindsight being 20/20, signing Key might be his only mistake...
Was it a mistake? We do not know who else was available at the time, it may have been Hobsons Choice.
True, but there's a line of thought (popular among Canadians, probably) that anyone is available for the right price.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Big Tea

continuum16 wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 18:57
Big Tea wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 09:48

Totally agree... Zak has done a great job... Hindsight being 20/20, signing Key might be his only mistake...
Was it a mistake? We do not know who else was available at the time, it may have been Hobsons Choice.
True, but there's a line of thought (popular among Canadians, probably) that anyone is available for the right price.
That is probably true, but if you do not have the right price, they are not available :D
There are some nice cars not available to me that may well be available to you. My bank account and my wife have to be factored into 'available'.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

continuum16

Big Tea wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 19:08
continuum16 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

That is probably true, but if you do not have the right price, they are not available :D
There are some nice cars not available to me that may well be available to you. My bank account and my wife have to be factored into 'available'.
If anyone could close the deal I would think it's wheeler-dealer Zak Brown; if they can afford to pay RIC millions to masquerade as Red Bull's advertising tool then I figured they could muster up the funds for some big technical names. But I guess in 2018 they were a little more cash-strapped.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

djos

mclaren111 wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 16:11
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FsypU5gWwAE ... name=small

Didn't see this during the race on TV... :o
I did, Sky definitely covered it. I was concerned that Oscar had sustained steering damage, thankfully he didn’t.
"In downforce we trust"

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Any ideas why the team is running MC35M in Imola? Especially as it is both drivers. Lando doesn't need the experience.

mclaren111

Big Tea wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 19:08
continuum16 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Good One... :D :D

mclaren111

FittingMechanics wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 08:44
Any ideas why the team is running MC35M in Imola? Especially as it is both drivers. Lando doesn't need the experience.

Somebody previously mentioned maybe windtunnel correlation with a known entity - MCL35M....

MrGapes

saw this post... most of the time difference between these laps came from the straights.

ort895
ort895

The car really does have decent pace when they are not blowing up on lap 1. If they can get the floor working more efficiently starting in Baku, this year may not be so bad.

Venturiation
Venturiation

About the comment by zak about supercharged team are they aiming to get newey? His contract finishes soon with Redbull

trinidefender
trinidefender

Venturiation wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 18:37
About the comment by zak about supercharged team are they aiming to get newey? His contract finishes soon with Redbull
Doubt it. Supposedly one of the reasons that Newey left McLaren in the first place in the 2000's was because the management structure was changed to a more lateral one, with multiple people heading up different departments, similar to what is happening now instead of a more vertical structure.

Apparently Newey isn't a fan of that approach so considering McLaren is moving back in that direction, which I hope and pray isn't anything like the matrix system that they got rid of, it is unlikely that Newey will want to come across.

Newey almost went into (semi)retirement a few years ago taking a less prominent role in Red Bull but after a year or so was convinced to come back full time. I get the impression that after Red Bull it will be a quiet retirement from him.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Venturiation wrote:
Supercharged?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

trinidefender wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 20:13
Venturiation wrote:
Doubt it. Supposedly one of the reasons that Newey left McLaren in the first place in the 2000's was because the management structure was changed to a more lateral one, with multiple people heading up different departments, similar to what is happening now instead of a more vertical structure.

Apparently Newey isn't a fan of that approach so considering McLaren is moving back in that direction, which I hope and pray isn't anything like the matrix system that they got rid of, it is unlikely that Newey will want to come across.

Newey almost went into (semi)retirement a few years ago taking a less prominent role in Red Bull but after a year or so was convinced to come back full time. I get the impression that after Red Bull it will be a quiet retirement from him.
I don't think he'd ever consider McLaren, not because of the structure, but because he's been there and done that. Red Bull have a Technical Director, Pierre Wache, who reports to Newey, the CTO. The current McLaren structure could accommodate a more senior Technical head, like the CTO, with all 3 Tech Directors reporting to him. Not saying it'll happen, but structure wise, not impossible.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

Ι think that Brown says that the changes in the structure that already happened are the ones that will supercharge the team. Getting a CTO or whatever a senior role to the 3 TD's might be called, goes against the hypothesis that those 3 departments were not allowed to shine.

M840TR
M840TR

Venturiation wrote:
I keep seeing these comments online and sometimes in the media about Newey joining this team or that team. People don't seem to clearly understand his position in Redbull. Newey quite literally is Redbull - he built the entire team from the ground with Horner, Marko and Mateschitz. Not just design the car, but the factory and human capital. Heck he's practically family to a lot Redbull member like Horner. He's never gonna leave Redbull for another F1 team no matter what.