2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisc90

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Big Tea wrote:
13 Apr 2023, 16:17
chrisc90 wrote:
13 Apr 2023, 13:42
I said at the time it would be a dropped cylinder.

Probably carnage in there and working out what went wrong first in order to prevent any further issues
Engine rich exhaust. (EM)

Not sure what you mean.

Big Tea

chrisc90 wrote:
13 Apr 2023, 16:36
Big Tea wrote:
13 Apr 2023, 16:17
chrisc90 wrote:
13 Apr 2023, 13:42
I said at the time it would be a dropped cylinder.

Probably carnage in there and working out what went wrong first in order to prevent any further issues
Engine rich exhaust. (EM)

Not sure what you mean.
Its Elon (Musk) speak for bits exiting the engine via the exhaust pipe. (Sorry, thought it was well known)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JordanMugen

Vanja #66 wrote:
13 Apr 2023, 12:51
Mercees made a huge mistake with sidepod design last year - evident by reoccurrence of bouncing even when they redesigned the floor for Barcelona and gave up on some of the raw floor downforce.
I wonder why Mercedes redoubled down on a similar, if revised, design for 2023? The Mercedes doesn't seem to be performing *that* badly with the W14 sidepods (nor the W13 with its sidepods either).

Vanja #66 wrote:
As a lot of reports and a few of us suggested since the end of Bahrain testing - the core problem of SF-23 as a chassis is suspension setup (maybe even design, but improvements in Australia do not support this)
Does the way Russell was surprised at the W14 'suddenly' handling beautifully in Melbourne qualifying, suggest getting the tyres in the right operating temperature (or the rest of time, not in the right operating temperature) is still a problem for Mercedes, pointing to an ongoing suspension problem?

Vanja #66

JordanMugen wrote:
13 Apr 2023, 20:16
I wonder why Mercedes redoubled down on a similar, if revised, design for 2023? The Mercedes doesn't seem to be performing *that* badly with the W14 sidepods (nor the W13 with its sidepods either).
Many are wondering it seems, within the team also...

Vanja #66 wrote:
Does the way Russell was surprised at the W14 'suddenly' handling beautifully in Melbourne qualifying, suggest getting the tyres in the right operating temperature (or the rest of time, not in the right operating temperature) is still a problem for Mercedes, pointing to an ongoing suspension problem?
Could be, it was clear they suffered a bit with mandatory simplified suspension design since last year...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

PlatinumZealot

Blown cylinder could be cooling jacket design on the limits. Good opportunity to uprade for reliabilty.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Wouter wrote:
13 Apr 2023, 13:34
F1 | Mercedes: A cylinder had blown in Russell's engine

The Brixworth technicians have identified the break that stopped the English rider during the Australian GP.
George will have in Baku certainly a new internal combustion engine and it has not been decided whether he will also
install a fresh hybrid system. The Stella engineers have not yet identified the cause that led to the withdrawal
and there is some concern about the reliability of the 6-cylinder.

Roberto Chinchero
13 Apr 2023, 09:48

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-me ... /10455700/
I wonder if they will change Hamilton's and the customer teams as a precaution.
A lion must kill its prey.

Farnborough
Farnborough

They'll know what mode they were running GR in as part of analysis. It looked pretty turned up to me from the point he was dropped back in the field after red flag.
They still thought the strategy could play out to at least podium, minimal gap to those yet to stop was imperative at that point.
Seemed they were walking a tightrope on deployment strategy at that interval just before the pop!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

RS200E wrote:
14 Apr 2023, 16:55
Have a look at how ridiculous the sequence of posts were leading up to my post. The only correct response is to tell them how ridiculous they are.
Why do you think my question about whether Mercedes will be taking precautionary PU changes is ridiculous?

Are you aware that after the exhaust system failure on the car of Lance Stroll in the Saudi Arabian GP, that Mercedes replaced the exhaust systems of every single Mercedes powered car in Melbourne?

The question is legitimate. Mercedes may take PUs in Baku as a precaution based on their response to the exhaust system failure on 1 car after Jeddah.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Some fair few posts removed from the thread.

Thanks for those that reported.

On topic then?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Big Tea

CMSMJ1 wrote:
14 Apr 2023, 22:34
Some fair few posts removed from the thread.

Thanks for those that reported.

On topic then?
Thank you for your work.
It seems that these days there are not differing opinions, just the same thoughts or completely wrong and must be shouted down in case someone else hears them.

Not taking either side here, just speaking up for those who do not share an opinion, but respect other peoples right to have one.

You have a hell of a job there.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

pursue_one's

According to AMuS, George's engine has been officially declared broken and will therefore no longer be able to be used.
Mercedes found out that George Russell’s PU failure was due to a piece of debris being stuck in the cylinder, which then caused the fire.
The turbocharger and the MGU-H were broken. The other components of the engine are still under investigation.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... brixworth/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

“Debris” is quite vague….

It shouldn’t be possible for debris to enter the engine considering the air filter and the intercooler.

Is this just a flattering way to say we dropped the pre-chamber into the Cylinder? I wouldn’t expect them to publicly admit in such detail…

dans79

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 14:20
“Debris” is quite vague….

It shouldn’t be possible for debris to enter the engine considering the air filter and the intercooler.

Is this just a flattering way to say we dropped the pre-chamber into the Cylinder? I wouldn’t expect them to publicly admit in such detail…
could be anything. Anything that could score the cylinder liner could be an issue.
201 105 104 9 9 7

RZS10

Beginning of the last paragraph of the article: "The debris came from a component that does not belong to the sealed area of the engine."
Tech Regs 5.23
Replacing power unit parts
Refer to the table in Appendix 3 of these regulations.
The parts listed as “EXC” in the table referred to above may be changed without incurring a penalty under Article 28.3 of the Sporting Regulations. If changing any of these parts involves breaking a seal this may be done but must be carried out under FIA supervision. Any parts changed may only be replaced by parts homologated in accordance with Appendix 4 of these Regulations.
This is that table reduced to the non sealed components, a lot of which obviously cannot be the culprit:

edit1: missed a few items from the table so i added them
edit2: item 22 mentions line 21, which is "PU-CE excluding associated brackets, supports, screws, nuts, dowels, washers or cables.
Last edited by RZS10 on 18 Apr 2023, 17:26, edited 2 times in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

RZS10 wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 17:07
Beginning of the last paragraph of the article: "The debris came from a component that does not belong to the sealed area of the engine."
Tech Regs 5.23
Replacing power unit parts
Refer to the table in Appendix 3 of these regulations.
The parts listed as “EXC” in the table referred to above may be changed without incurring a penalty under Article 28.3 of the Sporting Regulations. If changing any of these parts involves breaking a seal this may be done but must be carried out under FIA supervision. Any parts changed may only be replaced by parts homologated in accordance with Appendix 4 of these Regulations.
This is that table reduced to the non sealed components, a lot of which obviously cannot be the culprit:
https://i.imgur.com/JzAbhHE.png
I understand but how could the debris make it through the intercooler?

So the debris was small enough to pass the intercooler, but large enough to destroy the engine? That is surprising.