2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
haza
haza

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Just over a week till Baku McLaren has confirmed there going to race there new upgrades which I’m kind of worried about Baku hosting a new sprint format meaning we have 1 practise 2 quali and 2 races and with Baku being Baku it could be a costly weekend I’m sure most teams will be thinking the same and with only 1 practise session there’s not going to be much time to test the parts does anyone know what McLaren are bringing to Baku?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

haza wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 20:40
Just over a week till Baku McLaren has confirmed there going to race there new upgrades which I’m kind of worried about Baku hosting a new sprint format meaning we have 1 practise 2 quali and 2 races and with Baku being Baku it could be a costly weekend I’m sure most teams will be thinking the same and with only 1 practise session there’s not going to be much time to test the parts does anyone know what McLaren are bringing to Baku?
Using my deductive skills :wink: . A new floor at the minimum. That has to be a part of the sizeable improvement they are hinting at.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 19 Apr 2023, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

the EDGE
the EDGE

haza wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 20:40
Other than the new floor... No

but if you go back to P166, you see the following post by Cerber1...
_cerber1 wrote:
13 Apr 2023, 18:59
Andrea Stella: "We have already prepared a package of updates and we have no doubt that they will show themselves only from the best side. Therefore, despite the fact that there will be only one training session this weekend, we decided to install improvements on the car. We hope that this will help we need to score points both in the sprint and in the race on Sunday."

BMMR61

Targeting points in both races is high aspiration. As alluded to, integration of new major components like floor concept is big ask in one FP. I’d be happy with both drivers in points on Sunday. But clearly the underfloor aero concept switch represents bold thinking by the team, and we should be happy they’re not satisfied with crumbs after the successes of 2021.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

BMMR61 wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 00:45
Targeting points in both races is high aspiration. As alluded to, integration of new major components like floor concept is big ask in one FP. I’d be happy with both drivers in points on Sunday. But clearly the underfloor aero concept switch represents bold thinking by the team, and we should be happy they’re not satisfied with crumbs after the successes of 2021.
I don't think putting new parts on the car is that hard if they work right away. 1 FP session only becomes limiting if the parts do not work as expected and you need more to work out what isn't correlating.

Farnborough
Farnborough

They're not going to win the championship this year anyway, in all reality.

All of the the track experience is of very high value given testing restrictions etc, this one included. Zero change, mediocre, poor or significant move forward from this track is going to be more of value to them in establishing if they are moving their concept into the right direction, that's almost priceless in this phase of development.

It may be a very public showing, but the real acid test against the best their competitors bring is only going to help them through mid to longer term.
They are where they are, using any opportunity to bring development, dispensed with concise application, will give much more for them to analyse.

Very interested to see what they arrive with.

mclaren111

I think New Front Wing as well... Afterall, that's where eveything starts...

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 00:55
I don't think putting new parts on the car is that hard if they work right away. 1 FP session only becomes limiting if the parts do not work as expected and you need more to work out what isn't correlating.
Might also make it a little difficult if they need to experiment with setup for the new parts, and they don't have quite enough time in one practice session? Or if the new parts don't work and they need to put the old ones back on, then they won't have worked on the setup with the old parts (I suppose in this case they'd run both old and new on the 2 cars). Makes you appreciate how much work goes into each session.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

They have already updated the front underbody floor and diffuser. So we are waiting for changes in the Venturi channels under the bottom, a different geometry of the side edge of the bottom, hence the changed side pontoons. Further in the course of the season, the front wing will be updated, and possibly the nose cone. The engine hood and related elements will also be updated during the season. Not long to wait, let's see what they bring.

Lucky
Lucky

mclaren111

The Race:

https://the-race.com/formula-1/how-mcla ... -9-months/

Interim workings until Sanchez arrive...

haza
haza

I know it’s not team related but jeez this is one sexy livery I prey its on the car in Monaco

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 14:48
The media keep leaping on this idea of matrix management and blowing it up simply due to some perceived overlap at a single level in the structure.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 07:14
Lucky wrote:
The media keep leaping on this idea of matrix management and blowing it up simply due to some perceived overlap at a single level in the structure.

Sadly, good media/journalists are few & far inbetween our current "social" environment...

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 10:17
mwillems wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 07:14
Lucky wrote:

Sadly, good media/journalists are few & far inbetween our current "social" environment...
The issue with matrix management was no one was responsible, in part because the top manager also owned the team.

It isn't hard to see that right now the buck stops with Stella. He's taken on the role of arbiter and owner of the final call.

Only one team can win the championship and the other 9 teams will get a ton of articles about what their problems are, courtesy of a bunch of people that aren't qualified to understand the job nor are armed with the right information to understand the job.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit