2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
gshevlin
gshevlin

Re: 2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

One thing I learned a long time ago is that when leadership gets angry at a bunch of people over a failure and fires them , there is a good chance that many of them were not responsible for the mess.
The Biblical parable of the scapegoat exists for a very good reason.

Wouter

AlphaTauri still “aligned” despite Tost's no trust comments

AlphaTauri Formula 1 technical director Jody Egginton says that the Faenza outfit remans “aligned”
despite public criticism from team principal Franz Tost.

By:
Adam Cooper
Apr 10, 2023
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alph ... /10454744/
The Power of Dreams!

JordanMugen

mendis wrote:
08 Apr 2023, 19:30
Considering Tsunoda hasn't anything significant in 2+ years that he is with the team, it's natural to replace him with Lawson, unless DeVries proves to be a bigger failure.
Tsunoda and Iwasa would be Honda's (HRC's) preferred lineup.

It depends whether Red Bull rate winning the F2 championship (Iwasa) or winning the Super Formula championship (Lawson) higher, assuming either or both drivers are able to do so. Noting that unlike Iwasa (F2 leader), Lawson's own senior year in F2 was a failure and hence why he is not in Formula One already.

organic

The field in F2 is strong this year so it would be very impressive if Iwasa won the championship. Would imagine Marko would put Iwasa in F1 if he did win this year, even if it meant de vries + tsunoda out for Lawson and Iwasa

I doubt Honda has much control/influence anymore

Wouter

Tomorrow 4 pm CET Yuki is on YT for the first time on his own channel.
Come along with me behind the scenes of my 2023 Pre-Season training camp in Dubai.
Jet skis, dune buggies and boxing!
The Power of Dreams!

continuum16

If true, it doesn’t surprise me. There’s a part of me that says “took them long enough”given their recent struggles.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Wouter

Long interview from Giorgio Piola with Jodi Egginton about the updates and when they want to introduce them:

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-eg ... /10458198/

@Junaid translated a littlebit.
Junaid #JB17 @JunaidSamodien_
·
15 m
Motorsport Italy - The technical director of the Faenza team analyzes the package of upgrades that have been brought to Melbourne: the AT04 has a modified floor in various parts which should allow the car to find more aerodynamic load and better balance.

Having a basis on which to start development, we will see a series of changes appear up until Imola, when a second block of important innovations will make their debut, but growth will be gradual, race by race.

Jody Egginton, Technical Director: "We have brought a new floor to Melbourne and the innovations concern every aspect of the floor edge, although I'm not sure if it is right to define it as a big change. I'd rather talk about lots of small updates: starting with the design of the floor which allows for a different manipulation of the flow that descends from the sides of the body towards the floor".

Egginton: "We have also worked to reduce losses due to the rear tyre. That messy flow that is caused by the tire greatly affects the performance of the speaker. The new aerodynamic map is worth a few points, and is slightly biased towards the performance that can be obtained with higher ground clearance when the single-seater is at low speed. We believe we have found a good working foundation on the floor. This is the first step of five or six evolutions foreseen this year."
And some more:
Egginton: "We found that the data correlated well, so we can now work on developing bellies and increasing the energy of certain vortices. That in and of itself is an upgrade that makes flow structures healthier"

How much is this package worth in terms of lap time?

Egginton: "There are two aspects that must be considered: the increase in downforce, which can be worth up to a couple of tenths, but also the improvement in the flow pattern on the floor."

When will the next development be?

Egginton: "It is scheduled for Race 6 at Imola, together with updates to the bodywork. But first, we will have some new parts arriving in Baku that had not yet been brought to the track and also some parts in Miami."

"So there will be things visible at almost every event. We have adopted a quite different strategy compared to last year, when we brought bigger packages but limited to a few races."

Egginton: "We are trying to solve our problems. At the moment at low speeds where we don't have enough downforce."

The Red Bull RB19 has suspension that maximizes the anti-dive effect in front and the anti-squat effect in the rear. Will you also go in that direction?

Egginton: "That's a really good question. If we think back to the beginning of '21, when we studied the ground effect regulation, each team had an idea of ​​how to develop the front suspension layout, and, in fact, last year we saw some quite different solutions."
"Before the teams began the actual design work, they had an understanding of the bottom that was likely to be very different. So it's possible that a team using a rather extreme pull rod solution already had a curb concept closer to the one they're using now."
"Thinking about the future, therefore, it is necessary to think about what kind of fund we will have. I wouldn't say that the pull rod scheme is much better at the moment, but Red Bull is certainly extreme and has the fastest car."

The Red Bull front suspension takes the anti-dive effect to an extreme…

Egginton: "Yes, the anti-dive effect is taken to an extreme due to aerodynamic reasons. It is not a choice used for mechanical purposes."

"Sure, we have a view on what's best kinematically, but it's the aerodynamics that have the final say. Everyone comes to similar solutions, but there are some extreme solutions out there. The pull rod has some advantages and the push rod has others."
"The choice of layout must be balanced with the development of the floor and the type of frame you want to build the following year".

Motor IT: With ground effect cars it seems that there is a certain difficulty in finding a balance of behavior in all phases of the curve…

Egginton: "Yes, the data with the previous regulation were rather refined. We had worked a lot on cornering balance with a high rake car."
"But we have gone from a single-seater that at times was traveling with a static rear height of 160mm to one that turns very low. A new balance must be found, after having come to terms with porpoising, which can give results in lap time."
"When we have found the right balance, then we will be able to think about how to change the balance with mechanical solutions…".
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Yuki Tsunoda: Fitter. Faster. Fired up. | F1 Beyond The Grid Podcast

Japan has had plenty of Formula 1 heroes to worship over the years. But does Yuki Tsunoda have what it takes to become the country’s first World Champion? If he can drive as fast as he reached F1, then he’s in with a chance.

The 22-year-old went from Japanese F4 to his drive at AlphaTauri in the space of just three years. Since his points-scoring debut in 2021, Yuki has certainly caught the eye of many. But 2023 is a huge year. With Pierre Gasly leaving for Alpine, Tsunoda is now the team leader. How he performs this season will have a huge impact on his future in the sport.

Is he ready for the challenge? Yuki tells Tom Clarkson what he's learned from his idol Fernando Alonso, why Daniel Ricciardo’s old trainer has made him fitter than ever before, and how he’s trying to be calmer on team radio. Plus, Yuki reveals why he loves being famous.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Speaking on the Beyond the Grid Podcast, Yuki spoke about how he has idolised Alonso since he started watching the sport.

"I’m a fan of Fernando because my dad loves Fernando. When I went to the Suzuka Grand Prix when I was 12, my dad was saying that Fernando’s driving out of the last corner was consistently close to the white line and he was nailing every lap," he said.

"Since then, I watched Fernando, and I still can’t believe I’m racing with him. It’s just incredible. I didn’t expect at that point that I’d be racing with him in 13 years.

"I wanted to do a helmet swap since I became a Formula 1 driver, but I was too nervous to ask him to swap the helmets. One point, maybe last year, he actually said ‘Yuki, let’s do a helmet swap!’ Literally, my brain blows up, and I tried not to show my happiness fully in front of him.

"It feels a bit embarrassing, but yeah, in my heart I was just really happy and after that day I just called straight away to dad. And I still can’t believe I’m racing with him, just incredible."

Tsunoda's on his love of the battle

Tsunoda spoke about his strengths that come from his karting days and how he has transferred these skills to F1.

During the 2021 Hungary race, Tsunoda tried to hold off Lewis Hamilton, but was eventually overtaken.

He said that after he was passed by the Brit, he learnt a lot from how Alonso defended his position from Hamilton further up the road.

"My strength comes from karting. I really like to battle, and I don't lose much when battle happens. I also learn a lot from other drivers, especially after I stepped up to Formula 1, especially from Fernando Alonso," he said.

"In Hungary 2021, when Lewis tried to overtake me, obviously I tried everything I can to defend as much as possible, but he passed me after four laps. After Lewis passed me, Fernando was defending from Lewis, and I learned a lot from it.

"Car positioning and where he was trying to gain from Lewis before he got overtaken. I learned lots of things from him, and there was another situation at the Turkey Grand Prix, where I had to defend from Lewis. I tried to copy Fernando as much as possible, and I was able to defend from him for eight laps that time."

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

organic

Seems likely alpha tauri have poached Mekies from Ferrari as part of their restructuring.

Surely this can only be a good thing. Perhaps he will be the successor to Franz Tost

FW17

organic wrote:
25 Apr 2023, 13:02
Seems likely alpha tauri have poached Mekies from Ferrari as part of their restructuring.

Surely this can only be a good thing. Perhaps he will be the successor to Franz Tost
Maybe Binotto follows

organic

Not at all surprised

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Did they previously have a "CEO"?

continuum16

Not surprising to see Tost leave/step back (he is 67, so retirement probably wasn't that far off anyways) given the team's run of form lately. Is Laurent Mekies the right guy to replace him? I'm not convinced given his time as sporting director at Ferrari coincided with consistent operational issues. But who knows. The addition of the CEO role seems like a way to divide Tost's responsibilities. Given he was there for so long, a replacement could easily be spread too thin. Not unlike when Charlie Whiting was replaced as race director.

Lately there seems to be a disconnect between Tost and the rest of the team anyways. Also, Tost had to bridge the gap between day-to-day operations and being an RB parent company liaison. Perhaps this gap can be more effectively spanned by two people rather than just one, if that makes sense.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain