2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
proteus

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 10:42
mclaren111 wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 10:17
mwillems wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 07:14

The media keep leaping on this idea of matrix management and blowing it up simply due to some perceived overlap at a single level in the structure.

Sadly, good media/journalists are few & far inbetween our current "social" environment...
The issue with matrix management was no one was responsible, in part because the top manager also owned the team.

It isn't hard to see that right now the buck stops with Stella. He's taken on the role of arbiter and owner of the final call.

Only one team can win the championship and the other 9 teams will get a ton of articles about what their problems are, courtesy of a bunch of people that aren't qualified to understand the job nor are armed with the right information to understand the job.
Everything depends on the people. The downfall of Mclaren was due to having people which pulled to their sides, werent capable of compromises, played the blame game and were never acountable for their wrong doing. They can make any organisational structure work as long as they will have a desire to achieve results as a colective and go forward together. If they start bickering with each other again and repeat all the mistakes from the past, then they will slip back jet again. It is simple as that.

Zak sacked those few bad apples right from the start and progress was noticeable right away. Now he identified Key as a setback for progression, and we will see what is this change going to bring in the future.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

mclaren111

proteus wrote:
23 Apr 2023, 12:38
mwillems wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

Sadly, good media/journalists are few & far inbetween our current "social" environment...
The issue with matrix management was no one was responsible, in part because the top manager also owned the team.

It isn't hard to see that right now the buck stops with Stella. He's taken on the role of arbiter and owner of the final call.

Only one team can win the championship and the other 9 teams will get a ton of articles about what their problems are, courtesy of a bunch of people that aren't qualified to understand the job nor are armed with the right information to understand the job.
Everything depends on the people. The downfall of Mclaren was due to having people which pulled to their sides, werent capable of compromises, played the blame game and were never acountable for their wrong doing. They can make any organisational structure work as long as they will have a desire to achieve results as a colective and go forward together. If they start bickering with each other again and repeat all the mistakes from the past, then they will slip back jet again. It is simple as that.

Zak sacked those few bad apples right from the start and progress was noticeable right away. Now he identified Key as a setback for progression, and we will see what is this change going to bring in the future.

Agreed... Looks like Stella knows what he want... I really like the fact that was an engineer first & then management...

mwillems

proteus wrote:
23 Apr 2023, 12:38
mwillems wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

There were several reasons I think, in part due to the lack of stability stemming from the shareholders and the changes at the top (Whitmarsh, Dennis, Capito). This is why I think that it is different under Stella. He has the clear remit, there is no lack of clarity, he is responsible to ensure that it works and that there is clarity and his position should be stable enough to allow for that.

But even then, Matrix Management was something that ran through the whole organisation, it was multiple reporting lines, there is nothing to suggest that other than some technical staff working on both the current car and the following years car, that this will be anything similar. This is not matric management.

Ferrari have a similar set up at the top in terms of having a person dedicated to the concept and have by and large produced good cars recently.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MTudor
MTudor

Any news of a engine deal for 2026?
I hear Honda&AM are close to a deal.

genarro
genarro

MTudor wrote:
25 Apr 2023, 15:29
Do you have a source? Or do you think that AM is a better option than McLaren and had a wild idea in your head?

MTudor
MTudor

genarro wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 11:51
MTudor wrote:
Do you have a source? Or do you think that AM is a better option than McLaren and had a wild idea in your head?
I dont think AM is a better option for Honda but they are on an upward trend and Lawrence Stroll is an ambitious man and he said that in 5 yrs wants to be fighting for WC'ships and that statement was made when he bought AM.
And this is the link:

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

MTudor wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 13:02
genarro wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 11:51
MTudor wrote:
I dont think AM is a better option for Honda but they are on an upward trend and Lawrence Stroll is an ambitious man and he said that in 5 yrs wants to be fighting for WC'ships and that statement was made when he bought AM.
And this is the link:
"Reports" without sources, means take with a pinch of salt
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

Mclaren.com:
After a lengthy break between Rounds 3 and 4, we’re all fired up to get back on track. We’re bringing new components for the MCL60 with us to Azerbaijan, and although we’re unlikely to reap the rewards until later in the season, we’ll see the first shoots of these improvements in Baku.

Still cautious...

Lucky
Lucky

Chicane
Chicane

Mechanicals play a significant role. The aero surfaces are the most visible parts but along with ground effects, it is the mechanicals which appear to be Mclaren's Achilles heel.

They are talking about three big packages and a few more smaller updates around these three major ones.

The saddest part is that, the two major issues Mclaren was plagued with, poor aero efficiency and a weak front end was carried over with the issues actually getting worse.

Lando says that the package Mclaren have now, should have been the car Mclaren started the season with. In a nutshell 4 to 6 months behind the schedule in terms of development.

Seidl leaving has actually allowed Mclaren have a much more hands on technically astute guy in Stella, at the helm of affairs. Mclaren will be running a makeshift structure till Sanchez's arrival.
Quickshifter

MTudor
MTudor

Chicane wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 17:21
Mechanicals play a significant role. The aero surfaces are the most visible parts but along with ground effects, it is the mechanicals which appear to be Mclaren's Achilles heel.

They are talking about three big packages and a few more smaller updates around these three major ones.

The saddest part is that, the two major issues Mclaren was plagued with, poor aero efficiency and a weak front end was carried over with the issues actually getting worse.

Lando says that the package Mclaren have now, should have been the car Mclaren started the season with. In a nutshell 4 to 6 months behind the schedule in terms of development.

Seidl leaving has actually allowed Mclaren have a much more hands on technically astute guy in Stella, at the helm of affairs. Mclaren will be running a makeshift structure till Sanchez's arrival.
Everyboby knows that MCL 60 was actualy last years car with the raised floors and that this concept was abandoned 6 month aho so ur not telling anything new.
Maybe you should inform urself more often 😀😀😀

dren

mclaren111 wrote:
23 Apr 2023, 12:48
Agreed... Looks like Stella knows what he want... I really like the fact that was an engineer first & then management...
Stella wants his groove back and a car that isn't sh-t.
Honda!

Lucky
Lucky

djos

Early days, but the upgrade package looks much more competitive already.
"In downforce we trust"

Lucky
Lucky