2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisc90

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

So now that Allison is back...How long do people think it will take for him to get up to speed with the regulations, the other teams and their designs (since they will be looking at others too) and get the 'show on the road' with the designs and changes and how the car is already designed and built?

Not sure how much he was involved with prior, or just giving advice RE. the technical decisions and concept, but he could be as much as 2 years behind anyone else. I cant see it being that much. F1 reports it was a 3 day /week prior with a better 'work/life balance' and a bit of sailing thrown in there, which seems a busy schedule if you factor 3 days in for F1 and then sailing for the other bit of the week. Only a oversight into the 2022 design but no overall control.

PlatinumZealot

He never went away... He basically was responsible for the 2022 car, he made the bed, and is back to correct his mistakes. That's how I read into it at least. Like an Excel file bloated with nasty formulas, only the creator can truly fix problems in it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 15:29
He never went away... He basically was responsible for the 2022 car, he made the bed, and is back to correct his mistakes. That's how I read into it at least. Like an Excel file bloated with nasty formulas, only the creator can truly fix problems in it.
I would agree considering: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... o/6166757/

He only departed the technical lead position in July of 2021 so he had a big hand in the W13 concept which they basically would have been evaluating since late 2019 before the new regs were delayed and work was "officially" banned.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 22 Apr 2023, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
A lion must kill its prey.

chrisc90

PlatinumZealot wrote:
He wasnt responsible....he had a oversight. Big difference.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... uLiXH.html

mendis
mendis

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Does it mean there is no hope for Mercedes?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mendis wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 15:45
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Does it mean there is no hope for Mercedes?
They improved their car over the course of the 2022 season. It's silly to say there is "no hope". All one can do is wait and see what they bring. We know they will improve. They always do. The question is how much.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Hope is always there, if there is no hope they should as well stay home. The situation as is Both mercedes and FERRARI have a much better chance re-car development race than RBR.

pursue_one's

Allison says he wasn’t very involved in the concept of the W14 as CTO.
When asked how involved he has been in the 2023 car, Allison’s reply suggests that getting back up to speed with the technical director role will be a substantial task. It will at least now be a smaller remit than in his previous time in the position, as the CTO role exists too.

“I was much less involved than I had been as a technical director,” he says of his role in the W14. " I was more manoeuvring around in the sort of 2026 space than in the here and now of the current car. "
https://the-race.com/formula-1/why-alli ... admission/

https://podfollow.com/f1-nation/view

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

James Allison has launched the heat seeking missiles :twisted:
"We’re completely realistic about the significant performance of the Red Bull and particularly Max," Allison admits. "They’re going to be extremely worthy opposition to hunt down and in due course overtake. "
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/198506/m ... mance.html

wogx

Words are cheap, actions speak louder, remember.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Marble
Marble

A great compilation of video extracts + written articles about some PAST explanations from Allison :

- The comparison between changing concepts, and climbing mountains and going down valleys. He did that comparison during the 2020 winter talking about the Racing Point, and then during the 2020 Hungarian GP talking about Ferrari
The thread adds the example of the mistake of concept change between the MP4-27 and the MP4-28
- Some extracts of his Mercedes Youtube video explanations about correlation problems between CFD/windtunnel and reality and how past approximations of 3rd order terms led to porpoising getting undetected in 2022.
- The trust level between Lewis and him : "when he comes and says 'this bit of the car needs to change' and if I say 'I heard you, believe me we're working on it' he will know that I mean it and it will happen."

pursue_one's

Mercedes brings new fairings for the front axle wishbones, brake ducts and rear wing end plates.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -upgrades/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

To our friends at Brackley, what is this? :mrgreen:

CMC
CMC

It's an extremely small picture with a laptop displaying a CAD model. Sarcastic answer, but not sure what more you're fishing for.

Perhaps they are taking measurements from certain areas of the model to check against the real car as it's assembled for the weekend.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CMC wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 00:17
It's an extremely small picture with a laptop displaying a CAD model. Sarcastic answer, but not sure what more you're fishing for.

Perhaps they are taking measurements from certain areas of the model to check against the real car as it's assembled for the weekend.
Yes, that's the less exciting answer :lol: