2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Schippke
Schippke

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

WELL… not going to lie, that’s surprising.

Charles looked incredible out there today… as did the car. Hope he can carry that into the sprint and the Grand Prix. Wish I could say the same for Carlos, but he was quite a chunk off unfortunately.

Feet still firmly on the ground, but it’s nice to see the SF23 with more pace. I do wonder how much that might’ve come down to the Sprint Weekend and only have a single Free Practice session.

dialtone
dialtone

Fact is, LEC got on pole thanks to S2 and a very good S1. Both of those sectors are the slower stuff where traction means a lot, this was NOT the case in Bahrain. There's reason to really believe Ferrari found something to improve the car over the break via improvements in setup because their S3 is equally strong as RBR.

Will it be enough for the race? Before seeing telemetry or any race sim I highly doubt it, but that should put them clear 2nd best car.

EDIT: SAI on the other hand is pretty inexcusable right now and given LEC's rumors of looking for some leverage for new contract negotiation I wouldn't risk losing a guy that is so much faster in quali/race on average.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

The car looked good throughout the quali session, I hope that they've made a setup breakthrough.

Vanja #66

Should be noted this result came after RB brought updates worth a few tenths and Ferrari only brought track-specific wings. So all the improvements are due to low-drag concept of the car and proper setup allowing them to run the car low enough for good floor performance.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

LM10
LM10

Massive job from both Charles and the team.

No upgrades, only setup work there. To all the people doubting the meaning of finding or not finding the right setup. It can make a big difference.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

This result makes me even more excited for the upgrades set to come in the following races. I doubt we have the race pace of the RBs, but to see the car fight and win at the top is great news.

continuum16

I did not expect this but props to Ferrari for actually matching their “1s better than F1-75” claims that the sim predicted
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

LM10
LM10

Toto just said that Ferrari was on another level in the twisty parts.

MV8
MV8

We are not in a bad position I guess :)
Just posting

Xyz22
Xyz22

LM10 wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 16:48
Toto just said that Ferrari was on another level in the twisty parts.
Leclerc was :D

Anyway good show today. Clearly they got the baseline setup right which was crucial.

Now i'm curious to see how we'll perform in the race. A podium on pure pace would be a huge improvement compared to the first few races !

jambuka
jambuka

Hopefully they have a better understanding of the car setup and tweaks with 3 weeks to study heads down. What are the parc ferme rules for sprint weekend. Is the car sets up same for tomorrow and race day?

dialtone
dialtone

VER v LEC:

* RBR still has better electrical deployment, Ferrari can't reach the same speed at end of the straight as it runs out of electrical juice (you can see at the end of the lap engine RPM are identical with RBR but speed starts to drop.
* First race of the season where Ferrari finally has good cornering performance, in fact corners is where LEC gained a lot in S1.
* Castle section (2800m) in particular looks great as LEC comes out of the last corner there with more speed which sets him up well for the following straight.
* T15 is where LEC gained a massive margin in S2.

Aero wise the cars look on par, Ferrari ICE is great, electrical part not so great, cornering and traction is very good here.

EDIT: on engine at end of lap, I'll be honest that part of me also can't quite explain how a fixed gear can keep the same RPM but lose on speed since the electric deployment is via the same transmission.
Last edited by dialtone on 28 Apr 2023, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

dialtone wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 17:08
VER v SAI:
https://i.imgur.com/bsPLfpO.jpeg

* RBR still has better electrical deployment, Ferrari can't reach the same speed at end of the straight as it runs out of electrical juice (you can see at the end of the lap engine RPM are identical with RBR but speed starts to drop.
* First race of the season where Ferrari finally has good cornering performance, in fact corners is where LEC gained a lot in S1.
* Castle section (2800m) in particular looks great as LEC comes out of the last corner there with more speed which sets him up well for the following straight.
* T15 is where LEC gained a massive margin in S2.

Aero wise the cars look on par, Ferrari ICE is great, electrical part not so great, cornering and traction is very good here.
Think you meant to say LEC vs VER :) But anyways, great work as always dialtone. Really promising signs.

dialtone
dialtone

SoulPancake13 wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 17:10
Think you meant to say LEC vs VER :) But anyways, great work as always dialtone. Really promising signs.
Yes I did, I'll fix it.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Leclerc was unleashed.