2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Oscar missing out on SQ3 by 3/100ths of a second was brutal!
"In downforce we trust"

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I'd have expected Norris to go out on used tyres?

A shame about the tyres yesterday - Norris went out on new softs for a second time and I believe he gained only one spot. Maybe it was worth it to keep them for today.

geogate
geogate

didnt look like Lando had more than 10th under him anyways. No harm, no foul.

you are not allowed to go out on used rubber, they have to be new, and he didnt have any

djos

FittingMechanics wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 11:17

A shame about the tyres yesterday - Norris went out on new softs for a second time and I believe he gained only one spot. Maybe it was worth it to keep them for today.
Not much point, 10th was the maximum with no new soft tires.
"In downforce we trust"

Lucky
Lucky

FittingMechanics wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 11:17

You can only leave on a new soft or rain

Ben1980
Ben1980

10th and 11th seems fine. Wish this car was what we started the season with. May have kept Key his job!

I dont mind the sprint, but with no link to the actual race, it's just a bit pointless.

djos

Ben1980 wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 11:25
10th and 11th seems fine. Wish this car was what we started the season with. May have kept Key his job!
He had to go, he’d clearly spent years ignoring the driver feedback and sending the car down a uniquely daft direction!
"In downforce we trust"

search

Norris should have given Piastri a tow in the end, I think, to maximize McLaren's chances for points. Maybe the result would have been the same (10th and 11th), but it really made no sense to save Piastri's tyres yesterday when the team didn't plan to capitalize on it anyway.

mwillems

djos wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 11:30
Ben1980 wrote:
He had to go, he’d clearly spent years ignoring the driver feedback and sending the car down a uniquely daft direction!
How is that clear? Before Ricciardo both drivers could drive the car and get top 4 team performance. When Ricciardo was there Lando was still able to extract top 4 team performance.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

djos

mwillems wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 12:46
djos wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
How is that clear? Before Ricciardo both drivers could drive the car and get top 4 team performance. When Ricciardo was there Lando was still able to extract top 4 team performance.
Lando was pretty vocal last year:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/norr ... 33281/amp/
"For my side, I just want to be able to figure those things out and unlock it and be able to not just have a car which is fast or whatever but have a car which is also better to drive in general and unlock a different balance."
"General cornering - the way you had to drive it is almost the complete opposite of the way I want to drive a car.
There are many examples of Lando last year saying that McLaren needed to make a car that is better to drive.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

djos wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 13:32
mwillems wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 12:46
djos wrote:

Lando was pretty vocal last year:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/norr ... 33281/amp/
"For my side, I just want to be able to figure those things out and unlock it and be able to not just have a car which is fast or whatever but have a car which is also better to drive in general and unlock a different balance."
"General cornering - the way you had to drive it is almost the complete opposite of the way I want to drive a car.
There are many examples of Lando last year saying that McLaren needed to make a car that is better to drive.
But that isn't Lando saying that he was ignored. He also clearly stated he didn't feel sorry for Daniel and that it was all drivers responsibility to go fast with the cars they are given.

The car built over the last few years wasn't perfect, but with Sainz and Lando it was a top 4 car. The driver pairing went downhill and there was a focus on some traits that had already existed that become more of an issue because Daniel didn't have the talent to drive with them, not because the car wasn't perfect before.

In fact Lando, like many of us, expressed disappointment that Mclaren and Red Bulls No 2 driver wasn't able to deliver more for the team.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/34 ... -struggles
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

djos

I don’t know why you are bringing up Daniel, he’s not relevant to the conversation.

Lando has pointed out that Mclaren have needed to fix the front end issues for years
“But we know all of this. We’ve known it, it’s just been something we’ve had for years sadly and it’s our job to get rid of that for next season.”
https://www.planetf1.com/news/lando-nor ... for-years/

It seems as that still needs to be fixed, it might not be possible this year. 🤷‍♂️
"In downforce we trust"

geogate
geogate

come on everybody - can't we all just be friends ... and laugh at how bad Alpine are?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

geogate wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 14:44
come on everybody - can't we all just be friends ... and laugh at how bad Alpine are?
:lol: :lol: :lol: =D> Talk about spitting out my coffee... I hope they won't be having the last laugh in 7 months time though.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Well the soft tyre wasn’t a good move 😂