2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McL-H
McL-H

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I just can’t believe why the team would ruin a good set of mediums for a race that is already lost? Just retire the damn car and focus on Sunday.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Unsure why they just didn't can Lando. Worth a go, didn't work out. Makes little difference.

Slahinki
Slahinki

And sprints continue to be an absolute dull waste of time. They took away my practice for this snoozefest?

Anyway, looking forward to the race tomorrow, hopefully we can bag some good points with both cars.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Lando's pace at the end on new Mediums in clean air was pretty good at least

JordanMugen

geogate wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 14:44
come on everybody - can't we all just be friends ... and laugh at how bad Alpine are?
Piastri drove nicely indeed. :)

Alpine's view that Piastri was not ready for a Formula One debut in 2022 and required a sabbatical year seems to be proven to be demonstrably wrong. :roll: The sabbatical year seems more and more unnecessary, and in a way Alpine are lucky that Martins has missed many F2 points despite having the pace to lead the championship, else they would have yet again looked silly with no place to put rookie F2 champion Martins into Formula One...

Slahinki wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 16:17
And sprints continue to be an absolute dull waste of time.
How so? For McLaren it was a solid race against their rivals Williams and Aston Martin. A nice "street fight" as it were around the streets of Baku, with the McLarens well in the mix in the midfield!
Last edited by JordanMugen on 29 Apr 2023, 16:41, edited 4 times in total.

Big Tea

No points for 9th is the same as no points for 19th, so may as well give it a shot. If it does not work out, they learn something (don't know what, but they must do)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

basti313
basti313

McL-H wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 15:57
I just can’t believe why the team would ruin a good set of mediums for a race that is already lost? Just retire the damn car and focus on Sunday.
Good? Well used, isn`t it? That was the SQ tire set, that should be done with 6 laps on it.

I think it was a good choice. They saved a good set of Mediums and still did a nice tire testing. In the end they rather wasted a new set on Piastri.
Don`t russel the hamster!

McL-H
McL-H

basti313 wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 16:43
McL-H wrote:
Good? Well used, isn`t it? That was the SQ tire set, that should be done with 6 laps on it.

I think it was a good choice. They saved a good set of Mediums and still did a nice tire testing. In the end they rather wasted a new set on Piastri.
On the coverage they said it was one out of two new sets? If not, then disregard my comment.

search

basti313 wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 16:43
McL-H wrote:

yes, it was a used set from sprint qualifying. Norris has another one of those and two new ones, so no issue at all.

mwillems

djos wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 14:39
I don’t know why you are bringing up Daniel, he’s not relevant to the conversation.

Lando has pointed out that Mclaren have needed to fix the front end issues for years
“But we know all of this. We’ve known it, it’s just been something we’ve had for years sadly and it’s our job to get rid of that for next season.”
https://www.planetf1.com/news/lando-nor ... for-years/

It seems as that still needs to be fixed, it might not be possible this year. 🤷‍♂️
Because its how your thoughts have been framed time and again.

In any case my point was that no driver has suggested they were ignored, your statement suggesting Key has "Obviously ignored driver feedback" has no basis in any publicly available fact. If you are happy to demonstrate where this is made clear, I'll happily change my tune.

Otherwise it's best to avoid blanket unfounded opinions posing as a fact.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Tomorrow is the race where Norris starts from 7th and Piastri from 10th if Im correct? Should we expect something better than today or is the car still a brick in terms of drag?

CjC
CjC

To me it still seems quite draggy. Mclaren are getting the laptime a different way by being solid under breaking and using downforce through the corners.
If the drivers get ‘stuck’ behind anyone I’m struggling to see how they will pass along the straight.
Maybe more downforce will save the tyre better- Piastri sitting behind a car all race would suggest the deg is ok compared to a Williams though….
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

The question is though is has the team managed to reduce that drag compared to the previous abandoned car?

mwillems

Top speed looks ok, granted Piastri had a tow and DRS but so did many.

I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

runningmanz
runningmanz

Good drive from Oscar. Hard luck to Lando on the softs. Can't wait to get some drag off this car. Looks like we are tracking in the right direction now.