Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Cs98
Cs98

Re: Mercedes W14

Did Merc drop their flat rear wing? Seems like they're using this medium wing everywhere now. Can't help but think it will be too draggy down the straight.

atanatizante

Seems they cut-out the DRS flap:

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

Evo2racer
Evo2racer

Very interesting changes … I was hoping for more on the suspension but the rear corners changes are promising

Evo2racer
Evo2racer

Cs98 wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 21:18
Did Merc drop their flat rear wing? Seems like they're using this medium wing everywhere now. Can't help but think it will be too draggy down the straight.
I am afraid you seem to be correct but we will see in FP if they use this wing. I am hoping they don’t 🙃

PlatinumZealot

I'm mighty impressed to see that the rear wing and front suspension changes were aimed at improving cross-wind performance.

So interesting thing is cross wind weakness is aimed at areas near the floor and not the side pod, so far at least.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

hollus

Seriously guys. Faster and Slower NOT IN THE CAR THREADS.
(Of course I am talking about the posts that have just been deleted)
Rivals, not enemies.

hollus

With the season re-starting, a reminder for everyone that the car threads are moderated more strictly than other threads, with the idea that car threads should focus on the hardware and interpretation of how it works. And on the specific car in each car thread, please. We like our car threads shorter, focused and fact dense.

If a post is about the competition side of F1, be it faster/slower than, lap times or driver behavior, please, post it in the team threads instead (or even in the race thread!). Team threads are moderated very loosely, go wild in there. Future car parts, also in team threads, please, as they are by definition speculation, at least without an insider source.

Posts made in the car threads that are not focusing on the hardware are subject to be moved to other threads or, most likely, removed (as there are too many).
Rivals, not enemies.

vorticism

𓄀

vorticism

motorsport.com:

𓄀

Sevach
Sevach

The front wing flap received a small cut.

chrisc90

Was the mid wing always so close to the inlet on the side pods? In the photos just posted it looks like the trailing edge is touching/part of the upper side pod intake

AMG.Tzan

They didn’t even bring a low df rear wing! The car still has a lot of drag…

I really hope for their own sake that is just to give them more development for the big upgrade! Also Allison had mentioned there will be a new rear suspension for Baku…where was it?
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Ozan
Ozan

Merc are not wasting valuable time on one time upgrades to the car on Baku circuit, if you watch Shub's video, current car and sidepod config blow maximum to the center of the rear wing, that's why they use this mid-blown spoon wing. They're gonna change it when the car and sidepod package will be updated in my opinion.

Venturiation
Venturiation

James Allison comments on where the W14 lacks: DRS ride height and Downforce