[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Yes, realistically we need to find a place which is covered by cheap airlines. I guess half of the teams are run by students. Having all this paid by one sponsor would be a bit too much, so everybody will have to pay themselves.

beschadigunc
beschadigunc

Ft5fTL wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 18:32
You guys are always welcomed here on Izmir. Çeşme is great on summer so bring your swimsuits if you guys gonna come :D Visa and the garbage currency that i earn leads to a no Europe trip for me at the moment.
I think we should just visit Izmir /cesme , flights are cheaper than most and the place is a heaven

CAEdevice

I have question baout the "High res" folder.

Rule 9.2 does not mention the plank (skid block) because it is a mandatory component not to be included in the subsmission, but for our local simulation is it correct to include it into the high res folder?

CAEdevice

Hi, after the F1 race in Baku I noticed that Perez touched the Halo with the hand (with the seat belts fastened): I compared our cars with some pictures and I estimated that our Halo should be moved back 50 or 60 mm.

G-raph

Hi,

The rake and ride height adjustement in the latest MFlow version is a pretty neat feature, thanks for that!

Can you please confirm how we need to provide the Front and Rear brake duct winglets geometries?

- Already rotated/translated to suit our car rake and ride height settings?
or
- Left in the original space so they can be checked against their regbox (assuming you would then rotate/translate them yourself for the CFD run)?

spacehead3

G-raph wrote:
01 May 2023, 22:35
Can you please confirm how we need to provide the Front and Rear brake duct winglets geometries?
They mount to the wheel upright, I don't think they should be moving with ride height?
Max Taylor

CAEdevice

G-raph wrote:
Hi,

The rake and ride height adjustement in the latest MFlow version is a pretty neat feature, thanks for that!

or
- Left in the original space so they can be checked against their regbox (assuming you would then rotate/translate them yourself for the CFD run)?
I think the second option, but in my interpretation they are not mandatory components (I run the first 2022 races without front wings winglets).

yinlad

I'm very curious how people are getting on. While I've made progress on last year it's no where near where the top teams finished the season still. Plus the RW changes, it's difficult to get an optimum CoP at the moment.

Still some time to unlock performance 😅
MVRC - Panthera

G-raph

CAEdevice wrote:
02 May 2023, 21:12
I think the second option, but in my interpretation they are not mandatory components (I run the first 2022 races without front wings winglets).
They are not mandatory of course, but if we choose to have them, they must still fit inside their regulation box.
spacehead3 wrote:
02 May 2023, 16:07
They mount to the wheel upright, I don't think they should be moving with ride height?
You are correct that in MFlow, the ground and wheels don't move, and the rest of the car does.
But I still think my question is valid, if I rephrase it like this :

- Rotated/translated to suit our car rake and ride height settings, to counteract the car movement in MFlow?
or
- Left in the original space but with specific names (which ones?) so that MFlow automatically knows to keep them in their original position alongside the wheels?
or
- Left in the original space with no specific names and let you deal with these yourself for the CFD run?

beschadigunc
beschadigunc

G-raph wrote:
03 May 2023, 00:31
CAEdevice wrote:
02 May 2023, 21:12
They are not mandatory of course, but if we choose to have them, they must still fit inside their regulation box.
spacehead3 wrote:
02 May 2023, 16:07
You are correct that in MFlow, the ground and wheels don't move, and the rest of the car does.
But I still think my question is valid, if I rephrase it like this :

- Rotated/translated to suit our car rake and ride height settings, to counteract the car movement in MFlow?
or
- Left in the original space but with specific names (which ones?) so that MFlow automatically knows to keep them in their original position alongside the wheels?
or
- Left in the original space with no specific names and let you deal with these yourself for the CFD run?
You should design them yourself (I assume they go in high res folder). Stl files containe coordinates so no worries it will finds its right place(nothing to do with names). As they wont move with ride height it doesnt matter.

yinlad

LVDH wrote:
11 Apr 2023, 17:08
OK,
so I have put a slightly modified version of MFlow up. Also I noticed that while I always supply a version number in the Wordpress Download plug-in, this does not seem to show up, so you might like the improved format.
The modifications include:
  • Modified WT floor height
  • Modified warnings for pitch settings
  • Increased edge refinement around the plank
These improvements might not work as intended.
The modified floor height should lead to a contact patch that you might perceive as more realistic. This can however cause issues with solver stability.
In previous versions, MFlow would only allow rake / pitch settings between 0 and -1.5 deg. This is now widened to -2deg. While I like the ideas from Koldskall on how to limit the ride height, I was not able to implement a good warning into MFlow, so for now, you will have to make sure the ride height stays within the proposed limits.
The increased edge refinement on the plank only slightly affects mesh size.
So please have a look and let me know if this now works as intended. I think, apart from the missing warning on the ride height, this will be how we will be using MFlow for the first race.

I am also working on the CAD files. I was not able to get it done and at this point, it will have to wait until Sunday or Monday. The modifications will affect the gearbox, exhaust and the front suspension. Sorry, I am not able to get this done earlier.
Just tried moving to the new version but even at 0 RH and 0 Rake it throws a 'ride height too low' error when it's about 40mm off the ground with the new floor position
MVRC - Panthera

CAEdevice

yinlad wrote:
03 May 2023, 10:06
LVDH wrote:
11 Apr 2023, 17:08
OK,
so I have put a slightly modified version of MFlow up. Also I noticed that while I always supply a version number in the Wordpress Download plug-in, this does not seem to show up, so you might like the improved format.
The modifications include:
  • Modified WT floor height
  • Modified warnings for pitch settings
  • Increased edge refinement around the plank
These improvements might not work as intended.
The modified floor height should lead to a contact patch that you might perceive as more realistic. This can however cause issues with solver stability.
In previous versions, MFlow would only allow rake / pitch settings between 0 and -1.5 deg. This is now widened to -2deg. While I like the ideas from Koldskall on how to limit the ride height, I was not able to implement a good warning into MFlow, so for now, you will have to make sure the ride height stays within the proposed limits.
The increased edge refinement on the plank only slightly affects mesh size.
So please have a look and let me know if this now works as intended. I think, apart from the missing warning on the ride height, this will be how we will be using MFlow for the first race.

I am also working on the CAD files. I was not able to get it done and at this point, it will have to wait until Sunday or Monday. The modifications will affect the gearbox, exhaust and the front suspension. Sorry, I am not able to get this done earlier.
Just tried moving to the new version but even at 0 RH and 0 Rake it throws a 'ride height too low' error when it's about 40mm off the ground with the new floor position
I confirm, it looks that something is always too low (0.013 m).

The pitch adj is clearly visible in the GUI, but tue ride height parameter simply doesn't work.

variante

yinlad wrote:
03 May 2023, 00:05
I'm very curious how people are getting on. While I've made progress on last year it's no where near where the top teams finished the season still. Plus the RW changes, it's difficult to get an optimum CoP at the moment.

Still some time to unlock performance 😅
The 2023 wheels and suspension (V01) gave me big boost in CLA, and less drag.
The latest wheels and suspension (V02) caused a -0.5 drop in CLA.
Ride height adjustments gave me that 0.5 CLA back.
The new Floor and Rear Wing Volumes caused a 0.2m CoP shift toward the front.
(numbers obtained using the "fast" setting)

An upside i didn't predict is that cooling has gotten easier with the smaller Front Wing i'm using to balance the car.
All in all, the car is looking much more like an actual F1. Not just aesthetically, but also in its airflow structures.
That doesn't mean that all mandatory parts are properly made... But it's a clear positive, overall.

As for normal development, it's getting very hard to make progress, but i'm relatively satisfied.
Car unveiling will happen quite soon.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
03 May 2023, 11:23
By the way, which is the submission date?

LVDH

Puhh, was gone a while now there are many questions, so lets get to it:
CAEdevice wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 19:29
I have question baout the "High res" folder.

Rule 9.2 does not mention the plank (skid block) because it is a mandatory component not to be included in the subsmission, but for our local simulation is it correct to include it into the high res folder?
No, it now has its own increased refinement on the edges.

CAEdevice wrote:
01 May 2023, 16:35
Hi, after the F1 race in Baku I noticed that Perez touched the Halo with the hand (with the seat belts fastened): I compared our cars with some pictures and I estimated that our Halo should be moved back 50 or 60 mm.

Good catch. I think this is something we can improve, but not for race 1 at this point.

G-raph wrote:
Hi,

or
All parts should be designed in the construction COOS as always. You later adjust rake and ride height in the CFD setup.
However, I now realize that we have a small problem. The additional suspension parts will get morphed although they should not. I think for now, the only soltion is to add them to the suspension part and keep its name. I will think about an update to MFlow to address this. Bassically we will need two new folders for this, one for frt and one for rr supsension.

Regarding the issue with the not-working ride height. I can imagine that maybe the warning message could be wrong, but obviously there can be a bug. Please make a case available that seems bad.

CAEdevice wrote:
03 May 2023, 11:38
variante wrote:
03 May 2023, 11:23
By the way, which is the submission date?
As stated on the MVRC-page: 21.05.2023