Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Red Bull RB19

https://www.formu1a.uno/en/f1-news-red- ... -upgrades/
Bringing more air into the undercut was the target of Newey’s technicians. The compromise reached was to enlarge the inlets towards the sides, while narrowing them down at the same time. This achieves an improved layout that combines cooling demands with aerodynamic ones.

In these F1 cars, equipped with venturi channels, the lower part of the sidepods has become a very delicate area where the Red Bull philosophy has reigned supreme.

The retouching of this area was accompanied by a slight review of the lateral edge of the back, where there are a series of vortex generators and in the outermost drift of the venturi inlets.

organic

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 May 2023, 14:19
organic wrote:
03 May 2023, 14:07
They ran it in Bahrain
Could you share a photo-proof please? :mrgreen:
Seems there was some misunderstanding as to what the "stacked" arrangement of the RB beam-wing is. They've had multiple dual element designs that could be considered to be stacked.. The one they ran in Bahrain was the more conventional dual-element design that they used at high downforce tracks in the 2nd half of '22, so I think it's safe to say I misinterpreted which BW was being discussed.

Sevach
Sevach

organic wrote:
04 May 2023, 15:10
Vanja #66 wrote:
03 May 2023, 14:19
organic wrote:
They ran it in Bahrain
Could you share a photo-proof please? :mrgreen:
Seems there was some misunderstanding as to what the "stacked" arrangement of the RB beam-wing is. They've had multiple dual element designs that could be considered to be stacked.. The one they ran in Bahrain was the more conventional dual-element design that they used at high downforce tracks in the 2nd half of '22, so I think it's safe to say I misinterpreted which BW was being discussed.
The one the RB18 launched with, one element right next to the diffuser and the upper one sitting almost horizontally seems to have fallen out of fashion for them.
Now RB either stacks them conventionally, one on top of the other or runs single element.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Miami rear wing

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
04 May 2023, 16:35
Miami rear wing

https://i.postimg.cc/mkRZvrLb/image.png
I'm expecting Bahrain RW with single element BW..

PlatinumZealot

AR3-GP wrote:
03 May 2023, 21:18
vorticism wrote:
03 May 2023, 20:43
organic wrote:

They ran it in Bahrain
I mean the stacked independent single element wings, not the familiar unified two element wings.

Many incl. James Allison are saying things like "they have a more powerful DRS." Saying it's the DRS mech alone is probably inaccurate. Note many of RB19's features: no halo wings, simple side mirrors, thinnest suspension members, sidepod design, smallest roll hoop intake this side of Ferrari powered cars.
I understand this point, but the low drag of the rest of the car is present regardless of whether the wing is open or not.

The increase in speed that you get from opening the rear wing, should be solely the result of the drag reduction of the wing itself (assuming it's not the trigger for stall elsewhere when it's open)
That's grossly inaccurate. :idea:
There is a field of flows around the entire car and the different streams interact in three dimensions. Think of a 3D lattice, or mesh. There is a "ripple effect" of changing the pressure in a given area on other areas.

Opening the DRS means more air static pressure behind not just the wing but pretty much the entire rear of the car.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 May 2023, 20:21
AR3-GP wrote:
vorticism wrote:

I mean the stacked independent single element wings, not the familiar unified two element wings.

Many incl. James Allison are saying things like "they have a more powerful DRS." Saying it's the DRS mech alone is probably inaccurate. Note many of RB19's features: no halo wings, simple side mirrors, thinnest suspension members, sidepod design, smallest roll hoop intake this side of Ferrari powered cars.
I understand this point, but the low drag of the rest of the car is present regardless of whether the wing is open or not.

The increase in speed that you get from opening the rear wing, should be solely the result of the drag reduction of the wing itself (assuming it's not the trigger for stall elsewhere when it's open)
There is a field of flows around the entire car and the different streams interact in three dimensions. Think of a 3D lattice, or mesh. There is a "ripple effect" of changing the pressure in a given area on other areas.

Opening the DRS means more air static pressure behind not just the wing but pretty much the entire rear of the car.
Not sure if you missed this:
(assuming it's not the trigger for stall elsewhere when it's open)

Andi76
Andi76

AR3-GP wrote:
vorticism wrote:
organic wrote:

They ran it in Bahrain

I think they are "doing something". The extremely high top speed and especially the acceleration can't just come from that. If it were based on pure drag reduction, then everyone else would be doing everything wrong. Their flap is already completely different from that of the other teams. Here is a comparison with Ferrari.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Andi76 wrote:
04 May 2023, 21:38
AR3-GP wrote:
vorticism wrote:

I think they are "doing something". The extremely high top speed and especially the acceleration can't just come from that. If it were based on pure drag reduction, then everyone else would be doing everything wrong. Their flap is already completely different from that of the other teams. Here is a comparison with Ferrari.

https://postimages.org/
Maybe it's as simple as the flap stalling the main plane very aggressively. When their DRS flap is open, it almost looks like it could be generating lift/downwash. Red Bull have been running heavily cambered rear wing main planes. More than any other team both last year and this year. The difference in the mainplane is visible in this picture.

Andi76
Andi76

AR3-GP wrote:
04 May 2023, 21:41
Andi76 wrote:
04 May 2023, 21:38
AR3-GP wrote:

https://postimages.org/
Maybe it's as simple as the flap stalling the main plane very aggressively. When their DRS flap is open, it almost looks like it could be generating lift/downwash. Red Bull have been running heavily cambered rear wing main planes. More than any other team both last year and this year. The difference in the mainplane is visible in this picture.
That was exactly my thought.

vorticism

Pretty sure they all turn up at the edges when in DRS flap open mode, due to the curving RW shapes imposed by the rules. You can see both the Ferrari and RB exhibit this in the comparison photos above. Look how the camber changes at the edges. ~45* at the S, ~23* at the W in this image:
Last edited by vorticism on 04 May 2023, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
𓄀

scuderiabrandon

vorticism

+1 scuderiabrandon. Single louver exit again. I suppose they could keep making the intake wider and more letterbox shaped. Fabrega:
Last edited by vorticism on 04 May 2023, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
𓄀

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

vorticism wrote:
04 May 2023, 23:14
+1 scuderiabrandon. Single louver exit again. I suppose they could keep making the intake wider and more letterbox shaped. Fabrega:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvT_fxeWIAA ... ame=medium
Would love to have a new shot of the underneath of their floor. Really want to see how it compares to the RB18

PlatinumZealot

AR3-GP wrote:
04 May 2023, 20:42
PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 May 2023, 20:21
AR3-GP wrote:

Not sure if you missed this:
(assuming it's not the trigger for stall elsewhere when it's open)
Does not matter. Trigger or no trigger. Stall or no stall. Not having the blockage if the rear will will also reduce the drag of the surrounding areas behind it.

A good example is the McLaren "speed tail"

Talking about the RedBull DRS trick, James Allison interestingly said that the RB19 runs a lower ride height above a certain speed, that would cause problems if tried by another car...

It could be that the RB19 DRS has other effects than just reducing drag or stalling something.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028