2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Keneticss
Keneticss

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Is McLaren bringing any upgrades for the Miami gp ?

MrGapes

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Keneticss wrote:
03 May 2023, 21:36
Is McLaren bringing any upgrades for the Miami gp ?

There's been no mention of upgrades, at least I haven't heard anything. The expectations is that what they brought to Baku should be more useful in Miami. In any case, it's said to be just a prediction. I've read elsewhere that RB should have a bigger advantage in Miami, that their upgrade for Baku is worth around 3 tenths in Miami.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

CjC
CjC

proteus wrote:
03 May 2023, 18:36
CjC wrote:
03 May 2023, 11:14
Is it me or has Mclaren stopped listing their partners on their website?
Just scroll to the bottom of their page. They changed the layout of their site.
👍🏻 I wasn’t looking on the right page
Just a fan's point of view

Juzh

haza wrote:
01 May 2023, 10:55
2:The Mercedes Pu is not the power horse it once was at the moment it’s probably on par with Ferrari as the 2/3 fastest Pu theres was rumours circulating last season that the new E10 fuel did not favour merc power units, all merc powered teams struggle for decent top speed expect Williams who has a low drag low downforce car not saying it’s a huge deficit but it’s no coincidence that Mercedes McLaren and Aston all happen to look draggy
Mercedes PU is just fine, it's not the best anymore as it used to be but its also not lacking anything in particular. Aston was able to very efficiently shed drag in baku, they had same straight line speed as RBs and faster than ferrari even.

for example verstappen vs alonso fastest lap of baku. aston losing nothing on straights, so it can be done:

mwillems

I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

proteus

mwillems wrote:
04 May 2023, 20:54
So the floor is still not performing properly? This might be another weekend to forget, because they will be eaten at the straights. I dont believe cornering will be so much better to compensate enough. Especially if they have a problematic quali session and starting out of place. Lando struggled for 40 laps behind Nico, even though he was theoretically faster.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Stig14
Stig14

proteus wrote:
05 May 2023, 09:37
mwillems wrote:
So the floor is still not performing properly? This might be another weekend to forget, because they will be eaten at the straights. I dont believe cornering will be so much better to compensate enough. Especially if they have a problematic quali session and starting out of place. Lando struggled for 40 laps behind Nico, even though he was theoretically faster.
I disagree. McLaren were the 5th fastest team in Baku, a track which is even more dependent on straight line performance. Miami's sector 1 has a heavy reliance on medium and high speed cornering which the new floor was geared towards (according to the team). Will McLaren be relatively slow on the straights? Probably but they should also have decent cornering performance to compensate for the best overall laptime. It's daft to think that one upgrade was going to cure all of the cars problems and the team have said as much.

BMMR61

proteus wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Still not performing properly? The Baku weekend provided very limited practice time, the team should be proud to have got Lando qualified in P7 and very close to P5 on a track considered very unfavourable. Don’t you understand how much work goes into integrating major developments into a car trackside?

proteus

Stig14 wrote:
05 May 2023, 10:10
proteus wrote:
mwillems wrote:
I disagree. McLaren were the 5th fastest team in Baku, a track which is even more dependent on straight line performance. Miami's sector 1 has a heavy reliance on medium and high speed cornering which the new floor was geared towards (according to the team). Will McLaren be relatively slow on the straights? Probably but they should also have decent cornering performance to compensate for the best overall laptime. It's daft to think that one upgrade was going to cure all of the cars problems and the team have said as much.
How many overtakes are made in the corners though? I simply exposed what is my concern. You took it much too serious and by far the wrong way.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

proteus wrote:
05 May 2023, 16:38
Stig14 wrote:
proteus wrote:

How many overtakes are made in the corners though? I simply exposed what is my concern. You took it much too serious and by far the wrong way.
I think you share a valid concern. You need good top speed especially when cars are racing in the midfield. This is also conceptually the approach that two of the arguably fastest cars right now (RB and Ferrari) have taken. I mean that in a genuine way. It seems like aero efficiency is being rewarded under these regulations.

proteus

BMMR61 wrote:
05 May 2023, 13:20
proteus wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Still not performing properly? The Baku weekend provided very limited practice time, the team should be proud to have got Lando qualified in P7 and very close to P5 on a track considered very unfavourable. Don’t you understand how much work goes into integrating major developments into a car trackside?
To my eye they are still compensating, so yes my guess would be the floor is still not giving what they need. And it will bite them at the race if this is true if they fall behind due to some circumstances. Half of the track is pedal to the metal. Like i said to another member here, i only expressed my concers. I would love to see them more competitive again and i know it will take some time to optimize their developments.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

proteus wrote:
05 May 2023, 16:43
BMMR61 wrote:
proteus wrote:

To my eye they are still compensating, so yes my guess would be the floor is still not giving what they need. And it will bite them at the race if this is true if they fall behind due to some circumstances. Half of the track is pedal to the metal. Like i said to another member here, i only expressed my concers. I would love to see them more competitive again and i know it will take some time to optimize their developments.
We can only wait for practice later today to understand what is happening… Using Baku as a measuring stick for how good the new floor is may be flawed… McLaren indeed struggled to overtake in Baku, but so did everyone else regardless of their DF / Rear Wing levels, the shortened DRS zone affect all cars.

ort895
ort895

proteus wrote:
05 May 2023, 16:43
BMMR61 wrote:
proteus wrote:

They seem to have confirmed that the floor performed as expected in increasing generated load, but that was never going to just magically fix the whole package.

mwillems

proteus wrote:
05 May 2023, 16:38
Stig14 wrote:
proteus wrote:

For me the article is suggesting that the downforce is there even from the floor, but that they are choosing to run with a big rear wing still. This is what frustrated me about Baku. The data from the track showed the team to be fantastic through the twists and turns of Baku, faster than Merc and AM. But we still chose to run a high DF setup.

It frustrated me a lot as I think we had enough in the twisty sections to sacrifice some of the downforce to get straight line speed and maintain a strong laptime but to give us a better chance on the straights.

The only thing I can think is not that the team wouldnt want to run a low DF wing, just that they don't want to waste resources building one when they have major updates to build.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit