2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisc90

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

dans79 wrote:
05 May 2023, 22:50
chrisc90 wrote:
05 May 2023, 22:42
Is moving the driver back going to find the 1/2 second deficit to Ferrari or Red Bull? Very very unlikely. I wonder how much designing a new tub, getting it approved is going to cost (bearing in mind the FIA need a few to crash test to ensure they meet the standards required so at a big loss there straight away - especially for in season development where some teams say budget is extremely tight.)
They are as far forward as they are, because of how they decided to package the car.

They aren't getting a new tub/chassis till next season, it's to $$$ to do so this year unless they want zero development the rest of the season.

Keep in mind you need at least 4, one for the FIA to destroy during testing, one for each driver, and a spare!
Toto said Merc are working on it. Whether its this season or next the article doesnt suggest.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/toto-wolf ... omplaints/

Seriously cant see it being this season.

Puffpirat
Puffpirat

They’ll change the driving position if they see a performance increase, not because they want to benefit one driver or the other.

It’s Merc we’re talking about, the team that even swapped the pit crews between Lewis and Nico…

zibby43
zibby43

harty71 wrote:
05 May 2023, 22:23
zibby43 wrote:
05 May 2023, 22:21
harty71 wrote:
05 May 2023, 22:17

Even if it might not be the fastest route and may upset the other driver who feels comfortable that way?
See my edited post above. Change may do them some good considering the car cannot compete for championships and is falling further from the very front with the existing concept.

Also, why are you concerned that a certain choice “may” upset George, but have zero concern that a current choice “is” upsetting Hamilton? What am I missing here?
Because, this route is what they think is fastest, hence them going in that direction?
Have you missed the last month where they have publicly discussed that they are going in a different direction? Clearly wouldn’t be doing a switch to what they believed to be a slower concept.

harty71
harty71

zibby43 wrote:
06 May 2023, 00:41
harty71 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

See my edited post above. Change may do them some good considering the car cannot compete for championships and is falling further from the very front with the existing concept.

Also, why are you concerned that a certain choice “may” upset George, but have zero concern that a current choice “is” upsetting Hamilton? What am I missing here?
Because, this route is what they think is fastest, hence them going in that direction?
Have you missed the last month where they have publicly discussed that they are going in a different direction? Clearly wouldn’t be doing a switch to what they believed to be a slower concept.
No, but seating position wasn't talked about until Hamilton mentioned it the other week, interestingly they had the same position last season but we never heard of it.

dans79

harty71 wrote:
06 May 2023, 00:52
No, but seating position wasn't talked about until Hamilton mentioned it the other week, interestingly they had the same position last season but we never heard of it.
That's because last season driver confort/feeling was the least of their issues!
201 105 104 9 9 7

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
06 May 2023, 01:19
harty71 wrote:
06 May 2023, 00:52
That's because last season driver confort/feeling was the least of their issues!
Precisely. Balance counted for little until they could tame the violent porpoising.

mendis
mendis

zibby43 wrote:
06 May 2023, 00:41
harty71 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Their correlation so far has been impeccable!

PlatinumZealot

pursue_one's wrote:
05 May 2023, 19:22
chrisc90 wrote:
05 May 2023, 18:43
Where are things going to go if they move the seat backwards? I imagine the packaging is already fairly tight anyhow from the driver back over. Could they make the car longer?

1. Moving the front wheels forward
2. Moving the cockpit backward.

https://i.imgur.com/OlGA5Rn.jpeg
You guys gotta be clear...

Is it sear or cockpit?

If it's the seat it's a driver's personal preference for comfort and it is a shame if Mercedes designed the chassis so the seat cannot go back any more.

If it's the cockpit itself then not much can be done without major changes of course.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

zibby43
zibby43

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 May 2023, 05:01
pursue_one's wrote:
05 May 2023, 19:22
chrisc90 wrote:
05 May 2023, 18:43
Where are things going to go if they move the seat backwards? I imagine the packaging is already fairly tight anyhow from the driver back over. Could they make the car longer?

1. Moving the front wheels forward
2. Moving the cockpit backward.

https://i.imgur.com/OlGA5Rn.jpeg
You guys gotta be clear...

Is it sear or cockpit?

If it's the seat it's a driver's personal preference for comfort and it is a shame if Mercedes designed the chassis so the seat cannot go back any more.

If it's the cockpit itself then not much can be done without major changes of course.
Yeah lots of people have been conflating seating position with cockpit positioning. The latter effectively has an impact on the former relative to the front wheels. But it’s the cockpit/crash structure/radiator packaging that’s going to be part of the 2024 chassis change IMO.

torpor
torpor

I think the seating position is a side issue. If the Mercedes were as fast and superior as the W05, but Russell and Hamilton would have to sit on the front wing, they wouldn't be talking about the seating position. ;)

Big Tea

How much does the height difference of the driver make?
Ham at 1.74 and Rus at 1.85?
I would assume this would be 'adjusted out' at either end, (seat and peddles) not just by mowing the seat back?
There is also the unknown of where the drivers have the 'extra' height. If it is in legs it would be more troublesome than a long body.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

wogx

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

chrisc90

Big Tea wrote:
06 May 2023, 12:10
I would assume this would be 'adjusted out' at either end, (seat and peddles) not just by mowing the seat back?
There is also the unknown of where the drivers have the 'extra' height. If it is in legs it would be more troublesome than a long body.
Interesting regarding the positioning of pedals. Sure I’ve seen George wearing knee pads when he got out the car. (From memory the last race where he and max confronted each other.

Big Tea

chrisc90 wrote:
06 May 2023, 13:10
Big Tea wrote:
06 May 2023, 12:10
Interesting regarding the positioning of pedals. Sure I’ve seen George wearing knee pads when he got out the car. (From memory the last race where he and max confronted each other.

I was more considering that as Ham is shorter, if it is in the leg his seat could be moved forward but Rus could not, and if it is in the upper body Rus would sit 'straighter' so feel more forward as his centre would be more under his head and maybe not feel feel the difference so much as a more prone Ham
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

The stitching in the clothes and the helmets can be used for scaling i suppose.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028