2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Not bad for Lando!

Xero

LionsHeart wrote:
06 May 2023, 00:03
Not bad for Lando!
Considering track evolution and it being an early run, not bad at all.

Stig14
Stig14

proteus wrote:
05 May 2023, 16:38
Stig14 wrote:
05 May 2023, 10:10
proteus wrote:
05 May 2023, 09:37

So the floor is still not performing properly? This might be another weekend to forget, because they will be eaten at the straights. I dont believe cornering will be so much better to compensate enough. Especially if they have a problematic quali session and starting out of place. Lando struggled for 40 laps behind Nico, even though he was theoretically faster.
I disagree. McLaren were the 5th fastest team in Baku, a track which is even more dependent on straight line performance. Miami's sector 1 has a heavy reliance on medium and high speed cornering which the new floor was geared towards (according to the team). Will McLaren be relatively slow on the straights? Probably but they should also have decent cornering performance to compensate for the best overall laptime. It's daft to think that one upgrade was going to cure all of the cars problems and the team have said as much.
How many overtakes are made in the corners though? I simply exposed what is my concern. You took it much too serious and by far the wrong way.
I agree - overtaking does indeed happen on the straight bits of race tracks. The engineers at McLaren have determined that the best way to get performance out of the car is to stick with a higher downforce configuration in spite of not having great aero efficiency. F1 has, for large parts of its history, been about aero efficiency and that's certainly true today. Hopefully McLaren can improve this before the summer break with their "b spec" esq upgrades.

Xero

Lando's race pace on softs looked very competitive, promising!

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Where can i watch race pace?

Xero

LionsHeart wrote:
06 May 2023, 00:40
Where can i watch race pace?
Live data can be viewed on the F1 Live Timing website, but they publish the laps afterwards via the FIA website for free.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Ok, understood! Thanks!

MrGapes

Had a look at the telemetry, not a major loss on the straights… at most 0.25 to the redbulls.

The major time lost comes in the tight section, turns 14, 15, 16 (especially rotation of 16) . In that complex alone the deficit spikes approx. 5-6 tenths. Hence the major gap in sector 2…

Hopefully they can find something overnight.

Lucky
Lucky

organic

Lucky wrote:
06 May 2023, 03:51
https://i.imgur.com/ZB2BeuK.jpeg
Middle of the pack top speed-wise with such a large RW bodes well for when floor df can be sorted out completely..

Seems the major limitation is the very tight twisty section, whilst the car performance is very strong in the high-speed. Sounds like they may be running very stiff - hopefully they can find a better compromise overnight, but the showing so far is not bad at all

mwillems

I think it is a trait of most cars to be running very stiff, I think Alonso was suggesting it as the reason cars are largely taking one line this year and why overtaking is very hard in corners.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

organic

mwillems wrote:
06 May 2023, 07:20
I think it is a trait of most cars to be running very stiff, I think Alonso was suggesting it as the reason cars are largely taking one line this year and why overtaking is very hard in corners.
That's true. All of the cars are running stiff setups, but at Miami specifically you can find time in 2 very different ways when it comes to suspension setup: run stiffer and find laptime in high speed aero-dependent sector 1, or run softer and find time with mechanical grip in sector 2. Track conditions, weather forecast and given car characteristics may also factor into which way the team chooses to go.

Last year for instance RB went heavily towards the soft setup whereas Ferrari went far towards stiff; in the race whilst they ran similar laptimes there was often 0.5s swing between their s1/s2 times.

McLaren are 2nd best performers in s1 and lose 6 tenths in sector 2.. making me feel they are taking this idea of running stiffer at Miami to an extreme

mwillems

organic wrote:
06 May 2023, 07:29
mwillems wrote:
06 May 2023, 07:20
That's true. All of the cars are running stiff setups, but at Miami specifically you can find time in 2 very different ways when it comes to suspension setup: run stiffer and find laptime in high speed aero-dependent sector 1, or run softer and find time with mechanical grip in sector 2. Track conditions, weather forecast and given car characteristics may also factor into which way the team chooses to go.

Last year for instance RB went heavily towards the soft setup whereas Ferrari went far towards stiff; in the race whilst they ran similar laptimes there was often 0.5s swing between their s1/s2 times.

McLaren are 2nd best performers in s1 and lose 6 tenths in sector 2.. making me feel they are taking this idea of running stiffer at Miami to an extreme

https://preview.redd.it/vl60z74lt4ya1.j ... 3a20487d2b
Thanks that was interesting.

The floor is supposedly geared towards improving the high speed corners, I wonder how much is time found via the floor vs a stiffer setup. Hopefully more of the former than the latter but they certainly look to be choosing an extreme approach based on S2 and S3, I suppose we will get a better idea in Fp3 and Q later today but that data is hard to refute.

-Bandit

mwillems

The S2 and S3 time is lost in very specific areas of the track. But its only FP2, we will get better data later.

Looking good vs Alo until turn 17 where we lose a lot of time.

Also not good in the twisty 11 to 16, but looking nice on the exits of corners vs our rivals.

-Bandit

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

mwillems wrote:
06 May 2023, 08:33
Looking good vs Alo until turn 17 where we lose a lot of time.
That's the big jump in the Delta part of the chart? What's happening?