2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

That is the result of James Key and the team he gathered. Two years now he produced a big nothing but only step backwards. The car should have been close to the front by now two years later. Instead we are losing from Haas, Alfa Romeo, Williams and a bunch of mediocre teams who a normal Mclaren should be able to eat for breakfast. I am glad the leadership woke up even now and started replacing all those lackluster material. No I can't accept that shitty excuse about outdated facilities. They had ways to overcome that a long time now even using the facilities of Mercedes since they are using their engines. Last winter was the last straw. Screwing the philosophy and abandoning the project promising a new philosophy that will fix the car only to produce nothing again. By the way. Not only James Key but Andreas Seidl also.

My eyes are hurting seeing all this. I just only hope that Zak Brown will try to bring all those engineers from Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari much faster cause the team needs them as quick as possible.

MTudor
MTudor

That was a shitshow!!
Last edited by MTudor on 06 May 2023, 22:47, edited 2 times in total.

geogate
geogate

that could have gone better

Swed3121
Swed3121

Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:38
That is the result of James Key and the team he gathered. Two years now he produced a big nothing but only step backwards. The car should have been close to the front by now two years later. Instead we are losing from Haas, Alfa Romeo, Williams and a bunch of mediocre teams who a normal Mclaren should be able to eat for breakfast. I am glad the leadership woke up even now and started replacing all those lackluster material. No I can't accept that shitty excuse about outdated facilities. They had ways to overcome that a long time now even using the facilities of Mercedes since they are using their engines. Last winter was the last straw. Screwing the philosophy and abandoning the project promising a new philosophy that will fix the car only to produce nothing again. By the way. Not only James Key but Andreas Seidl also.

My eyes are hurting seeing all this. I just only hope that Zak Brown will try to bring all those engineers from Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari much faster cause the team needs them as quick as possible.
At this point, as a shareholder I would fire Zak and the entire senior management team as a warning to those who stay that underperformance will not be accepted.
It has been clearly proven that a culture of fear doesn’t work perfectly, however I think the senior design and management staff could use the threat of a pink slip without a nice severance package as a kick up the backside to remind them that they cannot underperform for years and keep their cushy jobs and paychecks

Ben1980
Ben1980

5 of the top 10 qualifying in Baku, not made Q3 here. Its either ridiculously close, or something else, that they couldn't get on top of.

MTudor
MTudor

Ben1980 wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:36
Swed3121 wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:34
Ben1980 wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:32

They did, and it worked. But I don't think anyone said it would fix the car. But that it would start to fix the car. And they qualified in top 10 with both cars.
So explain to me which monkey they let screw with the cars this weekend to produce this utter mess
No idea what happened. It was looking good yesterday. Maybe they tried to push on something for more straight-line speed, and it hasn't worked. Could be anything.
The update didn't supposed to fix the car,the update was to bring the car to what was the start of the season car,so 2 moth of developing more.

Slahinki
Slahinki

Swed3121 wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:43
Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:38

At this point, as a shareholder I would fire Zak and the entire senior management team as a warning to those who stay that underperformance will not be accepted.
It has been clearly proven that a culture of fear doesn’t work perfectly, however I think the senior design and management staff could use the threat of a pink slip without a nice severance package as a kick up the backside to remind them that they cannot underperform for years and keep their cushy jobs and paychecks
Have to say, from the statements you're making I'm incredibly happy you have nothing at all to do with the team.

Blimey.

Swed3121
Swed3121

Ben1980 wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:44
5 of the top 10 qualifying in Baku, not made Q3 here. Its either ridiculously close, or something else, that they couldn't get on top of.
Considering lando was significantly ahead of the others in Baku, it seems they completely and utterly drove the setup direction head on into a barrier at full speed

Swed3121
Swed3121

MTudor wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:46
Ben1980 wrote:
Swed3121 wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:34

So explain to me which monkey they let screw with the cars this weekend to produce this utter mess
No idea what happened. It was looking good yesterday. Maybe they tried to push on something for more straight-line speed, and it hasn't worked. Could be anything.
The update didn't supposed to fix the car,the update was to bring the car to what was the start of the season car,so 2 moth of developing more.
Nobody is saying it was supposed to fix the car, however being 5th fastest in Baku to 9-10 fastest in Miami is not purely circuit specific. Something significant went wrong within the team overnight

Ben1980
Ben1980

Well Lando seems to more understanding then some on here.

CjC
CjC

Lando just said that is the speed of the car. It’s just not fast enough
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

You know now that you mentioned it there was an interview of David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan mentioning that Mclaren is missing a Ron Dennis. Coulthard said that Dennis was a perfectionist wanting to correct every single detail and even if he was strict sometimes he always took care of his employees.

All I am hoping now is that Zak Brown will make haste with bringing the new engineering team to Mclaren at least to produce the next car. I believe he will find the way.

Swed3121
Swed3121

Ben1980 wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:48
Well Lando seems to more understanding then some on here.
Sound more like he’s given up to me than understanding

Ben1980
Ben1980

Swed3121 wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:48
MTudor wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:46
Ben1980 wrote:

Nobody is saying it was supposed to fix the car, however being 5th fastest in Baku to 9-10 fastest in Miami is not purely circuit specific. Something significant went wrong within the team overnight
Well as Lando just said, they probably overperformed last time, meaning they pushed more than they should have done looking for more, but that more wasn't available.

SilviuAgo

We are talking here, get mad, talk about a history that McLaren made in F1 etc etc...and what will happend? Zak and Andrea will come with the same bullshit "point are given tomorrow", "we'll keep pushing", "next race will be better" and all this PR non-sense.
I am a McLaren fan for more than 25 years...but I would truly love to see Lando moving to a Top team, to win races and championships. He deserv better than what McLaren is now...a misery. 🤨💲