2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Slahinki
Slahinki

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Stig14 wrote:
06 May 2023, 23:08
Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 May 2023, 23:01
Szabi1112 wrote:
06 May 2023, 23:00
Obviously something went erong with the setup. We could hardly improve by today which is quite nonsense.
Why even change the set up if you were best of the rest yesterday? It was working and obviously it made it worse today.
Lando said they were only best of the rest yesterday because they basically gave it everything in p2. The car hasn't got worse overnight, just everyone else has turned the wick up
That explains his comments that the car is slow everywhere.

Slahinki
Slahinki

Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 May 2023, 23:12
Stig14 wrote:
06 May 2023, 23:08
Lando said they were only best of the rest yesterday because they basically gave it everything in p2. The car hasn't got worse overnight, just everyone else has turned the wick up
Then James Key, Andreas Seidl and the team he made all these two years haven't produced anything these last two years and the update produced nothing.
I think it should be pretty obvious to anyone even only half paying attention why James Key isn't with the team anymore. And for all I know maybe even Seidl would have been let go at the same time if he didn't leave first.

Darth-Piekus

What exactly was the new floor upgrade supposed to do cause all these upgrades are made by Key?

Ben1980
Ben1980

The car legitimately qualified 7th last week. No funky anything. Lando said, it could have been 4th.

He's knowing saying it was always a struggle to get out of q1.

He just says things.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 May 2023, 23:15
What exactly was the new floor upgrade supposed to do cause all these upgrades are made by Key?
This upgrade, was only an upgrade in so much as it was meant to have been the base setting for the car. That's what has been indicated.

The decision was made when Key was there to change it to this way, and it reads that Stella holds Key responsible for not doing something earlier hence he was outed.

This upgrade, was never more than the starting point.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I am ready to assume that tomorrow the track will be cooler, or it will rain and this will allow the team to climb higher in the race. Mercedes has no pace here either. I saw the maximum speed at Sergio at 341-342 km / h, while at Lando I saw 335 km / h. In general, not so little, but not much either. I am also ready to assume that some teams have made a bet on the rain race and raised the chassis. Or hot conditions are just not suitable. A very unusual weekend. I'm sure next weekends the lineup will be more familiar.

Slahinki
Slahinki

Ben1980 wrote:
06 May 2023, 23:19
Darth-Piekus wrote:
This upgrade, was only an upgrade in so much as it was meant to have been the base setting for the car. That's what has been indicated.

The decision was made when Key was there to change it to this way, and it reads that Stella holds Key responsible for not doing something earlier hence he was outed.

Wasn't also the Baku upgrade only the first of a couple of upgrades that were supposed to bring the car where it should have been at launch?

Ben1980
Ben1980

LionsHeart wrote:
06 May 2023, 23:23
I am ready to assume that tomorrow the track will be cooler, or it will rain and this will allow the team to climb higher in the race. Mercedes has no pace here either. I saw the maximum speed at Sergio at 341-342 km / h, while at Lando I saw 335 km / h. In general, not so little, but not much either. I am also ready to assume that some teams have made a bet on the rain race and raised the chassis. Or hot conditions are just not suitable. A very unusual weekend. I'm sure next weekends the lineup will be more familiar.
It just seems so out of the usual, compared to last week, sonething must be causing issues. Aston in 18th on pace, Merc scrapping into q2 only with Lewis. Even Yuki in q1 after starting 8th. Its all just a bit random.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Slahinki wrote:
06 May 2023, 23:24
Ben1980 wrote:
06 May 2023, 23:19
Darth-Piekus wrote:

Wasn't also the Baku upgrade only the first of a couple of upgrades that were supposed to bring the car where it should have been at launch?
I think this was the first, to put it on a different pathway, then before mid season another, Barcelona? And another after the break. So lots going on, just starting off on a real bad footing with lots to catch up.

MTudor
MTudor

Slahinki wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:53
Swed3121 wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:34
Ben1980 wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:32

They did, and it worked. But I don't think anyone said it would fix the car. But that it would start to fix the car. And they qualified in top 10 with both cars.
So explain to me which monkey they let screw with the cars this weekend to produce this utter mess
Swed3121 wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:48
MTudor wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:46

The update didn't supposed to fix the car,the update was to bring the car to what was the start of the season car,so 2 moth of developing more.
Nobody is saying it was supposed to fix the car, however being 5th fastest in Baku to 9-10 fastest in Miami is not purely circuit specific. Something significant went wrong within the team overnight
Literally in the chain of comments you are replying to.
Thank you.
I'm new here an I'm figuring out how this works 😉

ScottR267
ScottR267

Corrr a lot of fickleness in here isn’t there.

Last week McLaren were back after Baku qualifying, now it’s the end of the world after a bad weekend.

I think after the start of the season, surely we all knew the upgrade at Baku wasn’t a silver bullet which improved the speed by 1 second like some like to bang on about in here…..

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Ben1980 wrote:
06 May 2023, 23:26
LionsHeart wrote:
06 May 2023, 23:23
It just seems so out of the usual, compared to last week, sonething must be causing issues. Aston in 18th on pace, Merc scrapping into q2 only with Lewis. Even Yuki in q1 after starting 8th. Its all just a bit random.
It's not random. Baku is rear limited circuit. Miami is a front limited circuit.

The test is different. Although it's surprising that Mclaren thought they would be better here. It doesn't look it so far.

Slahinki
Slahinki

ScottR267 wrote:
06 May 2023, 23:43

Last week McLaren were back after Baku qualifying, now it’s the end of the world after a bad weekend.

I think after the start of the season, surely we all knew the upgrade at Baku wasn’t a silver bullet which improved the speed by 1 second like some like to bang on about in here…..
If there's one thing you can count on in the McLaren team threads on F1technical it's drama, abundant amounts of drama.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Slahinki wrote:
06 May 2023, 23:48
ScottR267 wrote:
06 May 2023, 23:43

If there's one thing you can count on in the McLaren team threads on F1technical it's drama, abundant amounts of drama.
Haha yes, always gets a bit fruity in here after a poor result. To be fair, just check the Mercedes or Ferrari team threads for the same thing :)

In other news, Gil de Ferran is back, for a year it seems, to help with restructuring. https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/65515325

willmesquita

willmesquita wrote:
06 May 2023, 14:28
mwillems wrote:
06 May 2023, 12:09
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... ZtFF9.html

F1 data analysis shows we are 1 second off the pace in their qualifying estimates. The 7th fastest car. But at the very last sentence of the article it says sources suggest we are "much closer" and the team are learning the package, to expect us to be in the fight for Q3.
I expect both cars in front of Alpines and Williams and Lando in front Stroll.

I can live with p8/p10 today.
Well well
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br