2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xero

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

SilviuAgo wrote:
07 May 2023, 22:13
FittingMechanics wrote:
07 May 2023, 21:55
SilviuAgo wrote:
07 May 2023, 21:53

Quicker than who? PIA is constant 12 seconds from DEV, and NOR almost dead last. This race is a crap for McL. Let's save some engine and go home.
Norris is quicker than most cars ahead, running about P5 times.

But it's going to take a lot of luck.
Sadly is not quick. Constantly +3 seconds from BOT for last 10 laps.
Bottas has much fresher tyres. What were you expecting? There's no chance of points on merit.

ScottR267
ScottR267

Long brake pedal for Oscar

Slahinki
Slahinki

mwillems wrote:
07 May 2023, 22:16
Race is over fir us, I don't think anything can save us.

Ultimately the little coming together at the start helped Piastri and were he on mediums we'd be looking ok. But we aren't, so unless 6 cars crash or explode we aren't getting points.
Yeah, going to need an absolute act of divine intervention to salvage anything from this race, I'm afraid.

BosF1
BosF1

Norris' hards are slipping away. Just 26 laps on them, so all people who want to complete the race with 40 laps on the hards will suffer a lot. They need to put Norris on new hards in the next few laps.

Emag
Emag

For a car that was built under the pressure of an underperforming concept last year, adding to that a supposedly significant upgrade package put on it as well, the performance is really embarrassing for the team that built it.

I wouldn't want my name associated with any part of this car. James Key's team has underdelivered by an amount I would not think plausible at the end of last year. Rather impressive for all the wrong reasons.

f1rules
f1rules

pathetic this team

Xero

Some overreactions again. I think this is track specific, and they still don't understand how to set up this package. Baku pace was decent, and they took a wrong turn somewhere between FP2 and FP3. Clearly work to do, but they're fully aware.

mwillems

Xero wrote:
07 May 2023, 22:39
Some overreactions again. I think this is track specific, and they still don't understand how to set up this package. Baku pace was decent, and they took a wrong turn somewhere between FP2 and FP3. Clearly work to do, but they're fully aware.
Totally agree, it's the first race out of 5 that the car has been genuinely poor.

My team Arsenal beat my bosses team Newcastle today, so at least it isn't a write off!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

Just hasn't worked this weekend.

But, apart from Red Bull, and Alonso the season has been pretty shaky for all the teams.

proteus

Xero wrote:
The biggest problem to me is that they know their problems and jet they are slipping lower. They made a mistake last year, it can happen but they managed to ruin an allready troublesome car. The car is slow and unable to gain positions. The new floor should have been a bit of a jump forward, but so far it really isnt. Even Norris admiting it. As a longlife fan i am becoming desperate seeing them again fading away...
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Xero

proteus wrote:
07 May 2023, 22:49
Xero wrote:
The biggest problem to me is that they know their problems and jet they are slipping lower. They made a mistake last year, it can happen but they managed to ruin an allready troublesome car. The car is slow and unable to gain positions. The new floor should have been a bit of a jump forward, but so far it really isnt. Even Norris admiting it. As a longlife fan i am becoming desperate seeing them again fading away...
The reshuffle of the technical leads was the telltale. The new structure along with new wind tunnel and simulator all points to this being a throw-away season now. All focus will be on next year. This year's car will be a guinnea pig for new ideas.

CjC
CjC

Not so sure the strategy team is on point anymore.
Like Brundle has said in the past. When you are the only ones doing something (choosing the softs in this case) you have more than likely got it wrong.
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

Xero wrote:
07 May 2023, 22:52
proteus wrote:
07 May 2023, 22:49
Xero wrote:
The reshuffle of the technical leads was the telltale. The new structure along with new wind tunnel and simulator all points to this being a throw-away season now. All focus will be on next year. This year's car will be a guinnea pig for new ideas.
You can't afford guinea pig testing under the cost and resource restrictions we have. Every upgrade needs to be the right path and executed aggressively and efficiently, anything else sees us drop back further.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

The new floor was a jump last week, just not this week.

But, its so pointless moaning. The team know its not good enough, and have put something in place to try and sort it out. Will it work, no idea. But nothings working on other cars apart from Red Bull.

Ben1980
Ben1980

CjC wrote:
07 May 2023, 22:55
Not so sure the strategy team is on point anymore.
Like Brundle has said in the past. When you are the only ones doing something (choosing the softs in this case) you have more than likely got it wrong.
It was a gamble, wouldn't have made much difference anyway.