2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrGapes

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Andrea confirmed Lando had damage diffuser damage from lap 1 collision, cost him a few tenths

McG

Emag wrote:
07 May 2023, 22:26
For a car that was built under the pressure of an underperforming concept last year, adding to that a supposedly significant upgrade package put on it as well, the performance is really embarrassing for the team that built it.

I wouldn't want my name associated with any part of this car. James Key's team has underdelivered by an amount I would not think plausible at the end of last year. Rather impressive for all the wrong reasons.
Totally agree. All eyes on how they utilise this new wind tunnel in the next few years. If it isn't steady progress then wins, McLaren in F1 are confined to being a true midfield team. They literally haven't got anything right in 10 years. They don't have the people at the moment to build a good car so they need top name too. The current team with the new wind tunnel will not work.

In other slightly better news... McLaren 720S GT3 got a podium but should've won the Silverstone 500 British GT race if not for an extremely questionable safety car. All sport is corrupt nowadays. They brought out a safety car for the "show". Not the first time this has happened in GT3.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

mendis
mendis

I don't think Zack deserves to continue after this disastrous season. What's the excuse for his utter non performance?

He wasn't doing well on DTS either. :lol:

On days when Lando struggles, Piastri proves he can struggle even better! Sad to see Lando in this mess. But where can he go? He is in similar situation to Charles.

mwillems

Another day, another sacrifice required to appease the racing gods 😂

I'm not sure if it counts, but I don't know for sure that Zack is a virgin.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

I do like that Stella fronts up after every race with his videos. He doesn't sugar coat anything.

The guy has only had control for a short period, and is putting things in place.

mclaren111

SilviuAgo wrote:
07 May 2023, 21:53
Xero wrote:
07 May 2023, 21:49
SilviuAgo wrote:
07 May 2023, 21:43
Amazing strategy from those McL clowns =D> ...only team to start on softs and change on 6th lap. Wtf is this??? Are we complete idiots?? :oops: :oops:
Stuck in a DRS train with no chance of progressing. Or gamble, pit early and go quicker in clean air. Right call in my book.
Quicker than who? PIA is constant 12 seconds from DEV, and NOR almost dead last. This race is a crap for McL. Let's save some engine and go home.

We need to test all components & make sure it's reliable for when we are fast later in the year...

djos

Well that sucked! Oscar made an amazing start, then got screwed by Maclaren reliability! 😩
"In downforce we trust"

mclaren111

Stella:
"Our main takeaway from Miami is that we were not quick enough this weekend. After scoring points in Baku, this weekend serves as a reality check on how much work we have ahead of us. The plan doesn't change: we have good developments coming, we keep our heads down, regroup and go again in Imola."

=D> =D>

Ben1980
Ben1980

mclaren111 wrote:
08 May 2023, 10:02
Stella:
"Our main takeaway from Miami is that we were not quick enough this weekend. After scoring points in Baku, this weekend serves as a reality check on how much work we have ahead of us. The plan doesn't change: we have good developments coming, we keep our heads down, regroup and go again in Imola."

=D> =D>
This is the thing, people can say what they want, about it not being good.

But its not like the team isn't aware of the issues, and they are trying to fix it.

CjC
CjC

Ben1980 wrote:
08 May 2023, 10:37
mclaren111 wrote:
Stella:

=D> =D>

But its not like the team isn't aware of the issues, and they are trying to fix it.
Well Stella kinda has a free hit doesn’t he?
He’s taken over from Seidl, tore up his technical structure and advised Zac to fire Key.
So this season it’s all acknowledging the weaknesses and working hard to address them but if there isn’t any improvement by seasons end (Stella’s own timeframe) then he’ll have to face the same music.
Its just so frustrating that it has to get SO bad and so frequently for the management to so act is such a drastic way. I’m just hoping it’s not going to be a season like the 2015 to 2018 era😬
Just a fan's point of view

Big Tea

CjC wrote:
08 May 2023, 11:16
Ben1980 wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:
Stella:

=D> =D>

He’s taken over from Seidl, tore up his technical structure and advised Zac to fire Key.
So this season it’s all acknowledging the weaknesses and working hard to address them but if there isn’t any improvement by seasons end (Stella’s own timeframe) then he’ll have to face the same music.
Its just so frustrating that it has to get SO bad and so frequently for the management to so act is such a drastic way. I’m just hoping it’s not going to be a season like the 2015 to 2018 era😬
I think the old way of thinking of themselves is still embedded in the team. I mean thinking they are still a top team going through a glitch so basically it only needs tweaking not a ground up fix
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

genarro
genarro

Big Tea wrote:
08 May 2023, 13:12
CjC wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

I think the old way of thinking of themselves is still embedded in the team. I mean thinking they are still a top team going through a glitch so basically it only needs tweaking not a ground up fix
The value of the McLaren brand is so powerful that the team has to be considered a top team...Ferrari is currently the 4th fastest team...are they considered a midfield team? of course not.

McLaren has to reinvent itself as a team and apparently its not going to be just an upward trajectory. The years of Withmarsh, Goss, Morris and Ron have really taken away years of evolution from the team...

We just have to thank the racing gods that we have Stella. He really is the man for the job. I have said just after Seidl departed that promoting Stella is going to be a blessing in disguise.

mwillems

For the sake of openness, we said the same for Seidl. As soon as he leaves we send some blame Seidls way, just because Stella does things differently, and because fans need to blame or praise.

But the jury can pass no verdict on Stella, he hasnt had any chance to do anything or create meaningful output.

Stella has a lot to prove now, like the team. As fans we can be patient or we can moan, neither of them are going to change the trajectory of the team.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

McG

CjC wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:
Stella:

=D> =D>

It will never be that bad again because the Mercedes engine will never be as bad as what the Honda was. At least 2 years between 2015 to 2018 the chassis wasn't as bad as what the final stats read. Still not great don't get me wrong.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Big Tea

genarro wrote:
08 May 2023, 14:50
Big Tea wrote:
08 May 2023, 13:12
CjC wrote:

The value of the McLaren brand is so powerful that the team has to be considered a top team...Ferrari is currently the 4th fastest team...are they considered a midfield team? of course not.

McLaren has to reinvent itself as a team and apparently its not going to be just an upward trajectory. The years of Withmarsh, Goss, Morris and Ron have really taken away years of evolution from the team...

We just have to thank the racing gods that we have Stella. He really is the man for the job. I have said just after Seidl departed that promoting Stella is going to be a blessing in disguise.
What ever they think of themselves they have not won a constructors for 25 years or a drivers for 15.
They are not in the right place to say 'we are up there, no need to worry' the ship has hit an iceberg and the deckchairs do not matter much.

They are an established team, as are Williams who's wins are just one year behind them.

Don't get the Idea I have a downer on them I have been a fan for a (very) long time and want to see them back on top, but it is not going to happen by magic or silver bullets.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.