2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Thing is, the perspective of out of control is quire subjective. Bar one season they've been in the top 3 and the change Ferrari go through quite often is actually part of their control.

If it doesn't work, change it, keep trying till it works and then hand them bags of cash, use of the corporate jet and free cars. And it is that relentless approach that has won many titles.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

McG

mwillems wrote:
09 May 2023, 14:23
Thing is, the perspective of out of control is quire subjective. Bar one season they've been in the top 3 and the change Ferrari go through quite often is actually part of their control.

If it doesn't work, change it, keep trying till it works and then hand them bags of cash, use of the corporate jet and free cars. And it is that relentless approach that has won many titles.
Ferrari haven't won a title in 15 years.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

mwillems

McG wrote:
09 May 2023, 15:44
mwillems wrote:

But they've been running like this for much longer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuderia_ ... _directors

You run for a few years, win nothing, get sacked or leave. If your successful, you stay until your not or you leave.

Jean Todt is the only one I think he left without some pressure. Domenicalli had some sparse years and threw himself on the sword.

other than that the last long term ran until 1988, by a guy who won 4 titles, with the last in 83... a few years and gone. He got an extra year to fail before going due to winning four titles :)

It may not be a popular way of running a team, but it has won more than anyone else.

Another parallel philosophy is that no one is bigger than Ferrari, not Prost, not Vettel, not anyone. Apart from Maybe Schumacher in his day ;) The relentless Ferrari machine, but you cannot argue that over time it works.

-Bandit

McG

mwillems wrote:
09 May 2023, 16:30
McG wrote:
mwillems wrote:

You run for a few years, win nothing, get sacked or leave. If your successful, you stay until your not or you leave.

Jean Todt is the only one I think he left without some pressure. Domenicalli had some sparse years and threw himself on the sword.

other than that the last long term ran until 1988, by a guy who won 4 titles, with the last in 83... a few years and gone. He got an extra year to fail before going due to winning four titles :)

It may not be a popular way of running a team, but it has won more than anyone else.

Another parallel philosophy is that no one is bigger than Ferrari, not Prost, not Vettel, not anyone. Apart from Maybe Schumacher in his day ;) The relentless Ferrari machine, but you cannot argue that over time it works.
On the face of it I can see how we could think it works over the decades. But you also have to think about the favouritism Ferrari have had. The extra money, leniency, blatant cheating etc. Additionally Ferrari have been in F1 the longest so have more titles. Take away the questionable titles and it doesn't look as impressive. As a recent example since it's fresh in our mind, anyone who knows anything knows that Red Bull don't deserve the 2021 championship and even possibly 2022. I certainly won't be including that in what they have won. Ferrari had several years like that.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

mwillems

McG wrote:
09 May 2023, 19:25
mwillems wrote:
McG wrote:

On the face of it I can see how we could think it works over the decades. But you also have to think about the favouritism Ferrari have had. The extra money, leniency, blatant cheating etc. Additionally Ferrari have been in F1 the longest so have more titles. Take away the questionable titles and it doesn't look as impressive. As a recent example since it's fresh in our mind, anyone who knows anything knows that Red Bull don't deserve the 2021 championship and even possibly 2022. I certainly won't be including that in what they have won. Ferrari had several years like that.
There's definitely truth to the Ferrari International Assistance tag lol But it doesn't define their success, at least to me, I still think that their success has also come from the way they run, not in spite of it.
Ferrari are just different and all the best Italian talent wants to work for them, over anyone else by some margin. Obviously in England it is different so we don't have the same options and I think that is in part why they can be more firm with their staffing selections, most of 60m Italians would bleed for that one team if they were F1 fans.
And I'm sure they'd be a choice destination for many English engineers/Designers/Principals too.

-Bandit

McL-H
McL-H

What has been Stella’s contribution to this car?

Ben1980
Ben1980

McL-H wrote:
09 May 2023, 20:49
What has been Stella’s contribution to this car?
He's previous role was Racing Director, and been head of race operations and performance director. Obviously has race engineer experience with Fernando.

I'd guess, he was more linked to the race and performance rather than the overall design. But, he also must have had concerns as he's ripped it up straight away.

mwillems

Changes to car philosoohy and direction happened before Stella took over, so he is continuing that design direction. He's also been hiring talent and restructuring. Likely nothing on the car yet has been affected by Stella.

No idea though what input he might have had.

Next years car will show us an idea of how it is going, but his big change Sanchez will only just be arriving.

-Bandit

McG

mwillems wrote:
09 May 2023, 20:09
McG wrote:
09 May 2023, 19:25
mwillems wrote:

There's definitely truth to the Ferrari International Assistance tag lol But it doesn't define their success, at least to me, I still think that their success has also come from the way they run, not in spite of it.
Ferrari are just different and all the best Italian talent wants to work for them, over anyone else by some margin. Obviously in England it is different so we don't have the same options and I think that is in part why they can be more firm with their staffing selections, most of 60m Italians would bleed for that one team if they were F1 fans.
And I'm sure they'd be a choice destination for many English engineers/Designers/Principals too.
Well let's say minus 2 championships in the Schumacher era because at least 2 were ridiculous rule breaking bending sport changing years caused by Ferrari and Schumacher. The one where Michelin had to change the bloody shape of their tyres springs to mind and I've hopefully erased most other skulduggery that happened from my memory. So being extremely kind I'll give Ferrari 3 out of 5 for the Schumacher era and 1 to the GOAT Kimi without question. That's 4 drivers championships in 43 years which I'll again be kind and start from 1979 and say that's modern F1. 5 Constructiors championships with 1 that was handed to them in 2008 since 1983 40 years ago. Even giving them the full number of championships they have on paper in modern F1 with benefit of the doubt, which Ferrari will never deserve, it doesn't look good. I will say that as I'm not taking what is on paper on its merit that I have to look at Ferrari's near championship wins and yes they are semi consistent.

I'm not impressed by any of it. Take away the history and hyperbole and they aren't anything special. A relatively new team called Red Bull with a designer and other team members who have been the same for over a decade, are showing them up. And showing them up in political muscle too. The only saving grace is that Red Bull are also filthy.

ScottR267
ScottR267

https://the-race.com/formula-1/honda-f1 ... on-martin/

If to be believed, it will be Aston Martin getting the works deal with Honda and not McLaren…..

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

ScottR267 wrote:
10 May 2023, 13:38

If to be believed, it will be Aston Martin getting the works deal with Honda and not McLaren…..
Did you think it was ever really viable for Honda to return? Feels like the bridges are still on fire...
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

djos

CMSMJ1 wrote:
10 May 2023, 13:46
ScottR267 wrote:

Did you think it was ever really viable for Honda to return? Feels like the bridges are still on fire...
I’m not sure there is anything left of that bridge to still be burning.
"In downforce we trust"

ScottR267
ScottR267

CMSMJ1 wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:

Time is a good healer isn’t it! I personally didn’t think Honda would want to return to McLaren….however their options were limited if they did want to return so put Zak and the shareholders in a better position to try and get the works deal

Bill
Bill

djos wrote:
10 May 2023, 13:48
CMSMJ1 wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:

if Mclaren when not backmarkers then anything is possible.dumping Honda was a stupid move for mclaren because it cost them financially they no longer own the buildings.

mwillems

djos wrote:
10 May 2023, 13:48
CMSMJ1 wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:

If you speak to many, Mclaren Honda as a combined brand conjures negative images from recent times, now nainly from our side as Honda has recycled their image.

The stronger that negative brand association the heavier the weight or toll on any future efforts.

The bridge may not be burning but is smouldering. When people move away from the recent negative recollections then you might say the bridge is removed and we are ready for a new one. Say, when Mclaren break top 3 or 2.

But if there was an announcement this or next year, it'd take about 5 minutes for 50000 deck chair memes to propagate the internet!

Right now that collaboration would be see as a joke.

-Bandit