2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89
Mansell89

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

I too noted the Haas yesterday- they were almost quicker than a Merc with DRS at one point, they were blistering!

They’ve made a very efficient car I think and with the Ferrari connections one would think logical some people and ideas poaching looks obvious.

Shows that the PU is fine and that much like Red Bull, there are tricks to an aero efficient car in a straight line.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
08 May 2023, 22:57
continuum16 wrote:
08 May 2023, 18:52
What is very interesting to me is that externally the VF-23 is quite similar to the France-spec F1-75, at least in the floor/sidepod dept., yet the VF-23 is faster in a straight line than the SF-23 and significantly faster in a straight line than the F1-75 upon which it's based.

2022 Miami Q Max. Speed Trap #s:
LEC: 325.6
SAI: 323.0
MAG: 326.5
MSC: 326.5

2023:
LEC: 336.2
SAI: 333.3
MAG: 338.3
HUL: 338.8

I wouldn't be surprised, as others have noted, if Simone Resta will soon be seen back in red...
Actually, Magnussen even reached 340 in one of his slower laps, while Leclerc did 338 in his fastest lap. Speed trap is a bit too early in the back straight. Magnussen reached 336 in his fastest lap. Deployment strategy has a great impact on top speed and Ferrari uses it almost always during acceleration for maximum effect, as did K-Mag in his P4 lap. Here's the situation during the race

https://i0.wp.com/f1ingenerale.com/wp-c ... resize.png

Naturally, slipstream has a big effect and influence, however it seemed to even things out. Overall, Haas is more than ok on drag, but lacks downforce. Still, in my view they have a better approach to rear wing design than Ferrari, almost as good as RB.

When F1-75 was launched, I figured they wanted to generate a big low pressure field above beam wing for maximum floor boost hence the big spoon on early wings. But then both 22 and 23 cars work very well with flat(ter) Baku wing, so I have no idea why they kept the spoon for latest wing design. It's not bad with flap down, but flap up shows its simply lacking, since spoon section isn't low drag with its big angle.

The OP showed the qualifying top speeds which is far more representative than the race top speeds which are muddied by traffic and slip streams.

We are fortunate that Haas is using the same PU, because otherwise you would try and convince me that it must be that a different power unit has a "different deployment" . Not so fast :wink: . It's two Ferrari PU cars. Their deployment is probably identical. Every time a Ferrari is slower than someone else on a straight, it cannot be excused away with "different deployment". Haas using the same PU is perhaps the clearest evidence that for whatever reason, Ferrari is not running the most efficient DRS system possible. It's just another area which they are neglecting for the second season running.

McG

AR3-GP wrote:
08 May 2023, 23:19
Vanja #66 wrote:
08 May 2023, 22:57
continuum16 wrote:
08 May 2023, 18:52
What is very interesting to me is that externally the VF-23 is quite similar to the France-spec F1-75, at least in the floor/sidepod dept., yet the VF-23 is faster in a straight line than the SF-23 and significantly faster in a straight line than the F1-75 upon which it's based.

2022 Miami Q Max. Speed Trap #s:
LEC: 325.6
SAI: 323.0
MAG: 326.5
MSC: 326.5

2023:
LEC: 336.2
SAI: 333.3
MAG: 338.3
HUL: 338.8

I wouldn't be surprised, as others have noted, if Simone Resta will soon be seen back in red...
Actually, Magnussen even reached 340 in one of his slower laps, while Leclerc did 338 in his fastest lap. Speed trap is a bit too early in the back straight. Magnussen reached 336 in his fastest lap. Deployment strategy has a great impact on top speed and Ferrari uses it almost always during acceleration for maximum effect, as did K-Mag in his P4 lap. Here's the situation during the race

https://i0.wp.com/f1ingenerale.com/wp-c ... resize.png

Naturally, slipstream has a big effect and influence, however it seemed to even things out. Overall, Haas is more than ok on drag, but lacks downforce. Still, in my view they have a better approach to rear wing design than Ferrari, almost as good as RB.

When F1-75 was launched, I figured they wanted to generate a big low pressure field above beam wing for maximum floor boost hence the big spoon on early wings. But then both 22 and 23 cars work very well with flat(ter) Baku wing, so I have no idea why they kept the spoon for latest wing design. It's not bad with flap down, but flap up shows its simply lacking, since spoon section isn't low drag with its big angle.

The OP showed the qualifying top speeds which is far more representative than the race top speeds which are muddied by traffic and slip streams.

We are fortunate that Haas is using the same PU, because otherwise you would try and convince me that it must be that a different power unit has a "different deployment" . Not so fast :wink: . It's two Ferrari PU cars. Their deployment is probably identical. Every time a Ferrari is slower than someone else on a straight, it cannot be excused away with "different deployment". Haas using the same PU is perhaps the clearest evidence that for whatever reason, Ferrari is not running the most efficient DRS system possible. It's just another area which they are neglecting for the second season running.
I'm not too sure why you don't understand that Haas has has a better top speed because they have less downforce. When a car has less downforce they usually double down on making the car as efficient in that way as possible, which then leads to another gain in top speed. The 2021 McLaren was like this and that was the last time McLaren utilised anything significantly.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
08 May 2023, 23:19
We are fortunate that Haas is using the same PU, because otherwise you would try and convince me that it must be that a different power unit has a "different deployment" . Not so fast :wink: . It's two Ferrari PU cars. Their deployment is probably identical.

See the difference in acceleration of Haas and how MAG lost a lot less time in acceleration in his fastest lap in Q? Contrary to the first lap, which Haas (Williams, ATR, Sauber, etc) always run on full power unlike top teams. They had lot less rear wing in Miami, so these results are not surprising at all.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Clear: Aero peakiness the main issue
Ferrari's main upgrades in Miami were to the floor which focused mainly on tweaking the geometry of the airflow between the front and middle of the diffuser.

Clear says this was an attempt to make the car more predictable for drivers and to get rid of any aerodynamic "peakiness" that was happening that often led to it being unpredictable through high-speed and low-speed corners.

"This floor contributes again to getting the car in a better window, and as the drivers are reporting earlier on, that it is 'peaky' so we need to get rid of some of that peakiness," he explained.

"That's probably the main focus at the moment is to make the car a bit more benign, so the drivers have to have a bit more confidence."
https://racingnews365.com/the-aero-peak ... dence-back

jambuka
jambuka

Even Mercedes is bringing suspension upgrade to imola. Ferrari continues focusing on different variation of the floor…….

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Ferrari is allegedly bringing new rear suspension to Imola:

Though rumours now suggest that the front suspension is the problem and this was already known during the winter break:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I wouldn’t trust any of these rumors. Last we were told the new sidepods were ready for Miami….

dialtone
dialtone

Besides if the issue is peakiness I'm not sure how the suspension would help. Making a suspension with the ability to operate within the very small peak window is probably harder than fixing the floor to begin with.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

AR3-GP wrote:
11 May 2023, 02:10
I wouldn’t trust any of these rumors. Last we were told the new sidepods were ready for Miami….
I agree by and large, but Fred has corroborated that updated we’re coming to Miami, imola and barca. It was also my understanding that sidepods were for Barca not Miami?

Either way I’m not saying they’re 100% right. It was more to the previous commenter who said that Ferrari are looking at the wrong area (floor v suspension) where it seems at least somewhat reasonable to think that they’re looking at multiple areas.

jambuka
jambuka

Suspension will help. Probably settle the car more and increase the floor downforce. Reduce the jumping nature of the car. From the reports it seems the car jumps more than expected in excess of 200 kmph and the floor generated less downforce than expected because of that. So if the suspension helps reduce that then it might help.

Vanja #66

dialtone wrote:
11 May 2023, 03:19
Besides if the issue is peakiness I'm not sure how the suspension would help. Making a suspension with the ability to operate within the very small peak window is probably harder than fixing the floor to begin with.
There can be different sorts of peakiness' with these floors. You have your usual aero stuff - yaw, pitch and roll peakiness. However, there's also sensitivity to ride height, which is most definitely present on every car, but probably not in the same amount. To reduce roll, pitch and ride height sensitivity of the car, the suspension needs to do its job.

As for yaw, if this is the issue that Clear mentioned, then it's aero design that's the problem. Since they changed outboard inlet size, I would say they worked on floor edge vorticity to help with yaw performance.

#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
11 May 2023, 09:06
dialtone wrote:
11 May 2023, 03:19
There can be different sorts of peakiness' with these floors. You have your usual aero stuff - yaw, pitch and roll peakiness. However, there's also sensitivity to ride height, which is most definitely present on every car, but probably not in the same amount. To reduce roll, pitch and ride height sensitivity of the car, the suspension needs to do its job.

As dialtone pointed out, the ride sensitivity can have aerodynamic origins as well. Suspension isn’t the only way to mitigate it.

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
11 May 2023, 14:52
Suspension isn’t the only way to mitigate it.
Never said it was :)

#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

With the latest announcement of a stiffer tire construction to debut at the British GP, I wonder how this will impact Ferrari.