Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
syndicate1
syndicate1

Re: Mercedes W14

this appears to be the new front suspension.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Personal guess, they have a ferrari style inwash rear :D

Ozan
Ozan

it looks like ferrari 2012 car with acer sidepods

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Surprised at that. Based on how low their radiators are I was expecting a water slide feature. Seems like it doesn’t have much of an undercut either.

Doesn’t mean it’s bad, but certainly unique on the grid still. Perhaps a limitation of their chassis and cooling setup.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

AMG.Tzan

So from the pictures I get the impression that the sidepods will be higher up and have a square opening!

Other than that for now they look quite simple…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Stu

CaribouBread wrote:
24 May 2023, 19:24

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fw6PCMuWAA0 ... ame=medium

Personal guess, they have a ferrari style inwash rear :D
Not zero-pods, not Mini-pods, but Vanilla-pods…
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Venturiation
Venturiation

better pic of the suspension

Stu

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 May 2023, 15:20
The main difference at the front is flow conditioning on top of the floor, they wanted to keep all of the airflow going down the undercut and to the rear. Mid wing looks to be a winglet now, so they are relaying on its vorticity for some downstream flow conditioning.

The really interesting bit will be the rear end, whether they went for downwash or kept the inwash.
Will this change the flow structures around the car to something more akin to the Aston/RedBull? I’m thinking back to the CFD that you did for Shub that showed the ‘off-body’ flows as being significantly different previously.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

mkay
mkay

AMG.Tzan wrote:
24 May 2023, 19:43
So from the pictures I get the impression that the sidepods will be higher up and have a square opening!

Other than that for now they look quite simple…
Indeed. Pretty basic shape based on what we have seen, and the undercut is fairly vanilla if not unimpressive for a 2023 car.

ValeVida46

Tried to brighten it up but res isn't great

Last edited by ValeVida46 on 24 May 2023, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Stu

I wonder if that size of a change at the front has necessitated a change at the rear. Pictures soon I hope.
I hope that it brings them the performance that they need to compete for wins.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
24 May 2023, 14:27
Looks like the mid-wing blends into the sidepod inlet which is how they're getting around section rules. A large overbite now so the mid-wing isn't really there now
I agree. I think as a result of the SIS location from the original W13 design, they basically are stuck with an "overbite" abomination of an inlet. That will probably change again for next year.

continuum16

I would think the lack of undercut is more down to a generally narrow width than anything. From the few angles we have I would equate them closest to the mid-season MCL36 sidepods from last year’s McLaren, with a slight overbite, slight undercut, generally in-washing with a slight scallop on top. But alas, we shall see.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Venturiation
Venturiation

there is still some space to the right when the vertical segment comes down from the midwing