2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Good recovery from Checo.

Max with his 3rd grand chelem. Austria '21, Imola '22 and now Barcelona '23

Sieper

Reasonable. If he would have gotten Russell on merit it would have been good. Russell ofc the better driver, but Checo has the better car.

Sieper

organic wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 18:18
Good recovery from Checo.

Max with his 3rd grand chelem. Austria '21, Imola '22 and now Barcelona '23
For me, that is very nice, it is real hard to get these nowadays as fastest laps are contested now that they are worth a point. Still, one every year since he has a competitive (this year outright best) car. Lewis did try to take it away, I thought he would have another go in the last lap as he lost a bunch of time in the two laps before that (I thought he was topping up his ERS) but he was just freewheeling to the end those last laps.

organic

Max hasn't complained about the shifts last couple races. Either they improved it a lot or they can run the engine/deployment in a (lower) way that makes syncing a lot easier.

Just watched some onboards and he was definitely on cruise control today.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I overestimated Perez's recovery ability. He needed a few more laps to catch Russell.

Max was too efficient.
A lion must kill its prey.

Juzh

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 19:29
I overestimated Perez's recovery ability. He needed a few more laps to catch Russell.

Max was too efficient.
Perez wasnt able to overtake Alonso early on, whereas russell took only a few laps. So once alonso pitted and released perez, gap between him and russell was 7.5s. In the end it was 5.5s.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Juzh wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 20:00
AR3-GP wrote:

Max was too efficient.
Perez wasnt able to overtake Alonso early on, whereas russell took only a few laps. So once alonso pitted and released perez, gap between him and russell was 7.5s. In the end it was 5.5s.
Perez got the gap down to 2.4 seconds to start the final lap, then must have lifted across the finish line at the end which would explain the 5.5s.

Juzh

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 20:09
Juzh wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Max was too efficient.
Perez got the gap down to 2.4 seconds to start the final lap, then must have lifted across the finish line at the end which would explain the 5.5s.
Hard to say but i think russell was just sitting pretty behind backmarkers, knowing he had enough time in had and didnt have to overtake them anymore. Not that it matters much. Perez maybe had a bit of pace over russell but not over hamilton.

Sieper

AR3-GP wrote:
Juzh wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Max was too efficient.
True, but, when Perez started to get really close, if I remember like a tad below 6 seconds. Then Russell sped up and Perez couldn’t get closer anymore until the last laps when it was simply too late. So Russell had pace in hand as well. Imho, on this track, Mercedes wasn’t that far off anymore.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sieper wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 20:35
AR3-GP wrote:
Juzh wrote:

True, but, when Perez started to get really close, if I remember like a tad below 6 seconds. Then Russell sped up and Perez couldn’t get closer anymore until the last laps when it was simply too late. So Russell had pace in hand as well. Imho, on this track, Mercedes wasn’t that far off anymore.
Max and Checo did 75% of the race on a 1 step slower tire compared to the Mercedes. Given that neither Mercedes nor RB had serious tire issues, RB could have earned some free laptime, by doing the aggressive S-M-S that Mercedes did rather than the conservative M-H-S that they did. They dropped free laptime on the M and H stints. It makes it look closer than it was.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 04 Jun 2023, 20:42, edited 2 times in total.

AMG.Tzan

Juzh wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 20:18
AR3-GP wrote:
Juzh wrote:

Hard to say but i think russell was just sitting pretty behind backmarkers, knowing he had enough time in had and didnt have to overtake them anymore. Not that it matters much. Perez maybe had a bit of pace over russell but not over hamilton.
If Mercedes has truly improved its race pace that much with the upgrades and Perez doesn’t get his qualifying together, I think he’ll be in trouble soon!

Considering the pace advantage of the Red Bull and the fact that Russell started right behind him, he should have been on the podium today but he doesn’t seem able to extract as much from the car as others…specially Max!

Rosberg being critical of Checo to Horner and then getting shut down by Horner was a nice one after the race! Apparently he has forgotten his own underperformances… :lol: :lol:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Juzh

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 20:39
Sieper wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 20:35
AR3-GP wrote:

Max and Checo did 75% of the race on a 1 step slower tire compared to the Mercedes. Given that neither Mercedes nor RB had serious tire issues, RB could have earned some free laptime, by doing the aggressive S-M-S that Mercedes did rather than the conservative M-H-S that they did. They dropped free laptime on the M and H stints. It makes it look closer than it was.
This I agree with. They should have gambled with perez at least.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

It goes without saying (although you never know...), but Horner says RB also have "stuff" in the pipeline.

Max said Saturday (or Friday was it?), that they have a new floor coming
Are Red Bull quaking in their boots yet?

“They were still 23 seconds behind at the end of the race,” he said, wryly smiling, before admitting the aero testing restrictions applying to his team and giving Mercedes extra development time will likely allow Brackley to close the gap.

“Yeah, they made a good step but we’ve got some stuff in the pipeline,” Horner continued.

“They’ve had a big upgrade. We’ve got some bits coming later into the season but look, for sure, it was a big step. They’re a quality team and they’re going to be putting us under pressure in the second half of the year.”
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... pen-rival/

Wouter

Post deleted.
Last edited by Wouter on 14 Jun 2023, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

chrisc90

RB will have a good upgrade some point in the season. There hasnt really been any remarkable upgrades yet I dont think from memory.

Whilst CH is right about 24 seconds ahead in the race, people need to understand that this was Max just ticking over and not really driving the RB19 the way it could be to its full potential. The team will know there is X tenths left in the car at present and Max/RB are just driving the car at a pace enough to keep the others behind and increase the gap.