2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

De la Rosa:
Here we have brought certain things, in Montreal more will come and so on. It's not one aerodynamic package that is going to transform us, but a number of incremental improvements. We are improving but so are the others, but we have to trust in the team, not because of one bad race means Mercedes has made a giant step forward or we have lost our podium ways. What we have to understand is why we made the tyre work so badly, which was the key to this race. Except for Red Bull and Mercedes, nobody knew how to work the tyre.

DGP123
DGP123

AMG.Tzan wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 17:18
Alonso looked nowhere on the contrary but came alive at the end! Though this is just one track favoring certain car characteristics they surely need upgrades sometime soon…otherwise I don’t see them ending up above 4th in the constructors championship!
Will certainly be interesting to see if it’s the same outcome in Canada.

I wonder how long Alonso keeps up this PR crusade he’s on this season, if AM begin to go backwards, and the podiums dry up. I wonder if the cracks start to appear and all the looking after Lance stuff disappears. A fourth in the constructors would be a serious disappointment, given where the team began the season, would it not?

KimiRai
KimiRai

If there's a positive, I see a much better team dynamic so far compared to last year where Vettel and Lance were pushing each other off the track and so on. With only a few laps remaining it makes no difference for the team and without a championship fight this year, so that's good.

DGP123 wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 17:52
I wonder how long Alonso keeps up this PR crusade he’s on this season, if AM begin to go backwards, and the podiums dry up. I wonder if the cracks start to appear and all the looking after Lance stuff disappears. A fourth in the constructors would be a serious disappointment, given where the team began the season, would it not?
There's no "PR crusade". It's called 5 podiums in 7 races, a completely unexpected thing to us when we were in 2022. Like Pedro said they have a poor race and now suddenly it's the end of the world, come on. This was just a poor post from you.
No, even if a 4th place happens in the WCC (which I doubt but anyways), it won't be a serious disappointment at all. You have to remember where this team came from and all the potential it has from now on.

Jambier

It was very bad today.

I believe Mercedes will finish P2 in constructor, the goal is that ALO can still be ahead them and do podiums.

What other races will have those awful tyres?

organic

Jambier wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 18:20

This race had the C1-C3 tyre selection.

I think we can't draw huge conclusions from just the compound, as Bahrain was also C1-C3 and that was a good race for AMR relative to other teams.

However races such as Silverstone, Zandvoort, Suzuka are those left on the calendar which will use the harder tyre ranges. It's possible 1 of those such as Silverstone may even go a step harder to c0-c2 tyres.

diffuser

Jambier wrote:
It was very bad today.

I believe Mercedes will finish P2 in constructor, the goal is that ALO can still be ahead them and do podiums.

Think you have to look for front limited tracks.....Silverstone will probably be the next one.

organic

diffuser wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 18:42
Jambier wrote:
It was very bad today.

Think you have to look for front limited tracks.....Silverstone will probably be the next one.
The last time Merc had the legs on amr was Australia, the previous front limited track.

Canada should be pretty good for AMR. Lot of emphasis on traction

KimiRai
KimiRai

organic wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 18:44

The last time Merc had the legs on amr was Australia, the previous front limited track.

Canada should be pretty good for AMR. Lot of emphasis on traction
You're right, hopefully that is the case.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Not sure if it means anything but I remember Barcelona last year was also a poor race (in 2022 standards) despite the upgrades and the switch to the new concept.

InsaneX_Badger

Is much of a factor is drag in Canada? Would that be what they are trying to focus on in their upgrades?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

InsaneX_Badger wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 19:15
Is much of a factor is drag in Canada? Would that be what they are trying to focus on in their upgrades?
You want a slippery car in Canada as it's mostly straights with traction zones. I think they will use that low downforce wing that they had a few races ago, Miami I think?

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 19:22
InsaneX_Badger wrote:
You want a slippery car in Canada as it's mostly straights with traction zones. I think they will use that low downforce wing that they had a few races ago, Miami I think?
Rear wing could be, they have a new front wing. Ill have faith in that the upgrades did work and it was just a tyre and/or circuit thing because if not that would be bad.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

KimiRai wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 19:30
AR3-GP wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 19:22
InsaneX_Badger wrote:
Rear wing could be, they have a new front wing. Ill have faith in that the upgrades did work and it was just a tyre and/or circuit thing because if not that would be bad.
It was definitely a car/track/tire compatibility issue.

Graining of the rear tires is reported. This would be why Alonso and Stroll were so slow at the start.

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 19:41

Graining of the rear tires is reported. This would be why Alonso and Stroll were so slow at the start.
Oh yeah I forgot that, was watching Fernando's onboard the whole race and with the softs he had massive graining on the rear right tyre. Which is weird considering the front left should be the most stressed tyre under this configuration. Lance while I didn't look it's likely he had the same issue. Certainly something to study and probably was a big reason the pace was bad.

Dextercitox
Dextercitox

Not the race we expect today but not as bad as some people says I think.
First, the mistake in the Q1 compromises your race a lot, a P3 or P4 in qualy give you much more room to save tyres better and "make your race".
Second, cold weather today at Barcelona in June and that's not usual at all. Track temperatures didn't help Aston I think, otherwise Mercedes has been able to make the tyres work much better and with low degradation.

Other teams has bring more updates in the last races, and the teams were very near each other, has been said a lot of times, will be a develop war between Merc, Ferrari, Aston and also Alpine.

What I didn't understand very well is why to use 2 set of used soft in two long stints, saving tyres and seems to have graining problems too in Alonso´s car.

Hard in the last stint looks much better and Alonso pushed making decent lap times, on par with Mercedes.

Mercedes and of course Redbulls were faster today, and without the Saturday mistake we probably have P5 and P7 today, so P6 and P7 is not a disaster at all.

Lets see Canada upgrades (finally the new floor?).

Anyway P3 in drivers championship, P3 in constructors, much much better than expected for this year.