2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

diffuser

peewon wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 16:41
diffuser wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 16:24
peewon wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 14:42
I couldnt understand why they went on softs again after struggling so much in the first stint. Surely, trying on a different tyre makes more sense. They seem very conservative and tentative in their decision making on the pit wall.
Yep, they obviously wanted to avoid the Mediums. Suggests they had problems keeping Mediums (C2) in their operating temperature.
AFAIK they only tried the mediums on friday which was hot. Different conditions on Sunday. Still if they were strictly no mediums, they could've gone hards and then try the softs at the end with the possibility that the lighter fuel load could be a performance differentiator.
Fear of rain might have factored into it?

diffuser

He cracks me up.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Picking this up from the Autosport forums. So many street circuits on the calendar (and more that will come like Madrid) makes me think slow corners and traction seem much more important nowadays than high speed corner performance. There's not a lot of tracks left with a similar configuration to the new/old Barcelona. What do you guys think.
Last edited by KimiRai on 06 Jun 2023, 02:41, edited 3 times in total.

Zynerji

Oh, I'm a 2023 Alonso fan! 🥳🥳🥳

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

KimiRai wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 02:36
Picking this up from the Autosport forums. So many street circuits on the calendar (and more that will come like Madrid) makes me think slow corners and traction seem much more important nowadays than high speed corner performance. There's not a lot of tracks left with a similar configuration to the new/old Barcelona. What do you guys think.
I don’t think so. Saudi Arabia and Miami are very fast Street circuits. Vegas will be a high speed circuit as well.

The only proper slow street circuits are Singapore and Monaco.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

A new floor is going to be the bulk of the laptime improvement for any upgrade package. They must be feeling optimistic.

Zynerji

AR3-GP wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 02:52
A new floor is going to be the bulk of the laptime improvement for any upgrade package. They must be feeling optimistic.
AMR probably has the 2nd best floor now...

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 02:46
KimiRai wrote:
I don’t think so. Saudi Arabia and Miami are very fast Street circuits. Vegas will be a high speed circuit as well.

The only proper slow street circuits are Singapore and Monaco.
Well you're right that it will be a "high speed circuit" due to the giant straights but the corners themselves seem to be mostly slow corners, unlike Jeddah which admittedly has quite a lot of high speed corners.

organic

Larger % of calendar becoming street tracks which tend to be rear limited and lower speed cornering does tend to result in larger importance on traction/slow speed cornering. Think it more than anything encourages building a car which has wide window / mixed characteristics

AMR had a great start to the season, but unless it can be corrected with updates they may fall to 3rd power in the european leg of the season with more front limited tracks which may favour merc. Points will need to be maximized at Canada, Singapore, COTA & Austria

They said earlier this season that Barcelona should be one of their best tracks, so I'm now wary of their bullish predictions

peewon

Strange that their tyre wear which was so good in the first part of the season seems to be worse after the front wing upgrades. Alonso was complaining in Monaco about a phantom puncture and started loosing significant time to Verstappen after that. Russell also to be seemed on a different compound after 5 laps in this race. The development will be the litmus test for the much applauded AM tech team but we'll learn if they're really that good or copied homework was flattering them a bit.

KimiRai
KimiRai

organic wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 04:46
They said earlier this season that Barcelona should be one of their best tracks, so I'm now wary of their bullish predictions
Yeah that was weird, it was Lance's trainer who said that in a livestream. He was correct in other things but that one didn't really come true, at least race pace definitely not.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
There is Silverstone, SPA, Texas, Suzuka...

-wkst-
-wkst-

Michael Schmidt (AMuS video blog):
"Martin Whitmarsh told me that in Canada the biggest upgrade of the year should arrive. He didn't want to tell me what it is but I expect it is a new floor. (Because) they changed other areas in detail already and I believe they stay with their sidepod philosophy cause it works pretty good."

Redragon

Make sense to introduce the floor after introducing the new wings so you can get data on track. I don't understand the negativity about not bringing the updates so far. They did a pretty good job last year seen how sh-- dog the car was and how it ended and also the big jump over the winter. The year is too long, you might be able to introduce a big update on May but still 16 races to go, so it make sense to take a bit of time to introduce the updates and see what it works or not. Specially when Redbull is so ahead and the budget cap. Also being P3 as constractors at the end of the year I think is benefitial with budget cap and the difference on wind tunnel time it makes. If they manage to be in par with Mercedes and gain a bit of time on Redbulls the rest of the year. Building this year the car already with all the wind tunnel time advantage they have to reduce the gap, finishing 3rd at the end of the year would be a great achivement in comparation to last year but could be even be an advantage towards Mercedes ( if they really are 2nd team ish which i doubt) and Redbull next year with the extra time on wind tunnel. If you are even with your accounts with sponsors, for me with budget cap until your car is at the level of Redbull the only advantage you can have is wind tunnel time.