2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
-wkst-
-wkst-

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Yes and no. There are still a lot of races, true, but after the summer break we will hear the usual stuff (developments shifted to 24, no bigger updates anymore). The big stuff comes every year around May until summer break / first autumn race.

And there are several areas still untouched:

1) floor fences
2) floor body
3) diffusor
4) sidepods
5) engine cover

Mansell89
Mansell89

Did Alonso’s floor damage from quali carry over into the race, guys?

Whilst they had a less spectacular race than usual, the fact that Lance was comfortable in the Top 10 suggests that without issues Alonso could have fought Lewis and George for top 4, given we know the performance delta on most weekends between the two respective drivers.

Very interested now for Canada if indeed this is where a new floor arrives.

organic

Mansell89 wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 12:03

Whilst they had a less spectacular race than usual, the fact that Lance was comfortable in the Top 10 suggests that without issues Alonso could have fought Lewis and George for top 4, given we know the performance delta on most weekends between the two respective drivers.

They changed the whole floor assembly so I imagine it wouldn't be possible for floor damage from quali to still exist in the race

Mansell89
Mansell89

organic wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 14:47
Mansell89 wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 12:03

They changed the whole floor assembly so I imagine it wouldn't be possible for floor damage from quali to still exist in the race
Thank you!

So we can rule that out then in terms of the overall reason for less pace this weekend. I think perhaps other teams just made some good jumps - in particular Mercedes.

Should be some intriguing fights between Aston and Merc coming up!

KimiRai
KimiRai

Montreal is a racetrack that historically despite usually doing a good qualifying lap, something always goes wrong for Fernando on Sundays and mostly outside his control. Be it engine issues, bad strategy, an accident, setup issues, bad luck with Safety cars... With only a few exceptions Alonso fans know it's a racetrack where he is completely jinxed and he totally knows that as well. So I'd be a little bit cautious, but hopefully this is the time the curse is broken...

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 17:48
Montreal is a racetrack that historically despite usually doing a good qualifying lap, something always goes wrong for Fernando on Sundays and mostly outside his control. Be it engine issues, bad strategy, an accident, setup issues, bad luck with Safety cars... With only a few exceptions Alonso fans know it's a racetrack where he is completely jinxed and he totally knows that as well. So I'd be a little bit cautious, but hopefully this is the time the curse is broken...
I agree..He's OVER DUE!

organic

Rain would be welcome for Fernando judging by his quali performance last season at Montreal

diffuser

You know I hasven't been able to find 1 article that speaks why they went Soft, Soft, Hard.

You'd think someone would have asked them.

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 10:38
Yes and no. There are still a lot of races, true, but after the summer break we will hear the usual stuff (developments shifted to 24, no bigger updates anymore). The big stuff comes every year around May until summer break / first autumn race.

And there are several areas still untouched:

1) floor fences
2) floor body
3) diffusor
4) sidepods
5) engine cover
We really have no idea what their floor looks like. Sad in a way ....

I think Aston don't have this floor where it's made up of a bunch of different pieces like Alpine did. I suspect we'll see a change to numbers 1 through 3 all at once. I doubt we'll see any changes in the Sidepods and engine cover. Those items are moulded to the structure, which is expensive to change.

Pretty sure Merc are relegated to minor tweeks for the remained of the year.

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GoranF1
GoranF1

KimiRai wrote:
I remember 2007 in pain....
Fp1 P1
Fp2 P1
Fp3 P1
Q1 P1
Q2 P1
Q3 P2
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

KimiRai
KimiRai

GoranF1 wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 20:00
KimiRai wrote:
I remember 2007 in pain....
Fp1 P1
Fp2 P1
Fp3 P1
Q1 P1
Q2 P1
Q3 P2
Yeah but the worst part wasn't the qualy. He had setup issues in the race which made him miss corners multiple times and he was unlucky with the SC, because in that year I think the pits were closed during them and that screwed him. To finish it off he even got overtaken by Sato in the Super Aguri.

Not to mention years such as 2005 (crashed out of the lead), 2011 (killed by Button, the one who won the race), 2012 (tyres died while in the lead) and 2022 (engine issues while running near the podium).... Not his luckiest track. I think the only GP everything went smoothly was 2006, pole and win.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

KimiRai wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 17:45
In fairness, he's been following Aston Martins all season on track... :wink: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

KimiRai wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 17:45
He's following and waiting for the Lance Stroll retirement post!🤣🤣