Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RZS10

Re: Mercedes W14

Yup!

In fact that detail can be traced all the way back to the Bahrain test spec W13:

The only show and tell document this year which mentioned changes to the diffuser was the one for Spain and it says

"small change to diffuser sideview profile, to allow more flow into the diffuser [...]"

My guess is that the key words "side view profile" and "into" might mean that it could be hard to spot and/or find comparison pics.

PlatinumZealot

That indentation in the diffuser is to prevent "choking" of the flow in that sensitive endplate, beam wing, brake duct, diffuser corner nexus. Basically makes the car more efficient.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

SiLo

RZS10 wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 18:21
Yup!

In fact that detail can be traced all the way back to the Bahrain test spec W13:
https://cdn-5.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ith--1.jpg

The only show and tell document this year which mentioned changes to the diffuser was the one for Spain and it says

"small change to diffuser sideview profile, to allow more flow into the diffuser [...]"

My guess is that the key words "side view profile" and "into" might mean that it could be hard to spot and/or find comparison pics.
When they say sideview, is that literally from the side of the car? Trying to figure out in what dimension the changes will have been to allow more flow in. I wonder if the mouse hole was made slightly larger?
Felipe Baby!

Farnborough
Farnborough

SiLo wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 13:16
RZS10 wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 18:21
Yup!

https://cdn-5.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ith--1.jpg

When they say sideview, is that literally from the side of the car? Trying to figure out in what dimension the changes will have been to allow more flow in. I wonder if the mouse hole was made slightly larger?
I was considering that statement in the same way "air entering the diffuser " together with side view description as the volume through that mousehole. It would logically seem the only route into there from what we generally see on these cars.

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

from autosport.com

Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

pursue_one's

1. Removal of outer tip winglet from sidepod wing for performance (drag reduction).

Removing this small vertical tip element results in cleaner local flow, improving flow to the rear of the car, whilst also reducing drag.

atanatizante

From the above pictures seems that they`ll test both rear wings available until now, although the medium-high DF one has the main plain with a deeper spoon shape ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

pursue_one's

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Hamilton and Russell ran different FW setup.

It should explain the difference between them over slow speed corners/straight line speed.

atanatizante

pursue_one's wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 07:36

This former F1 aerodynamicist said that the upcoming 2 updates could be around a bigger undercut and the following channel under the side pod that will help with the slow speed corner issue W14 has ...

Questions:

1. could this clean airflow also increase diffuser extraction hence downforce at the rear of the car?

2. how can they improve rear traction knowing that AMR23 has the same rear end (suspension and gearbox)?
Jesus

Stu

With the cooler size and location that they have the only way to a bigger undercut is with a wider pod body, but this would mostly negate the use of the mid-wing.

Low speed issues are more likely to be suspension related than aero.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

Stu wrote:
21 Jun 2023, 06:44
With the cooler size and location that they have the only way to a bigger undercut is with a wider pod body, but this would mostly negate the use of the mid-wing.

Low speed issues are more likely to be suspension related than aero.
The guy in that video explains that those deep curved channels in the engine cover that AMR has, greatly assist in slow corners from 90-100 km/h and above.
Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

atanatizante

pursue_one's wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 07:36
In order to better understand the W14 anti-dive front suspension and what the former F1 engineer B Sport suggests in his above video we should see this one:

Jesus

vorticism

More louvers for Austria.

𓄀

chrisc90