2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

RaceFans:
The team is being cautious in its predictions, however, indicating the incoming upgrades are less of a performance-boosting package but rather a way of providing McLaren with a different development direction – not unlike what Ferrari and Mercedes said about their recent revisions. That may change where McLaren’s strengths lie, and they may not be able to exploit those new opportunities straight away.

Upgrade news... Let's Hope for the Best...

https://www.racefans.net/2023/06/14/mcl ... ays-ahead/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mclaren111 wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 11:13
RaceFans:
The team is being cautious in its predictions, however, indicating the incoming upgrades are less of a performance-boosting package but rather a way of providing McLaren with a different development direction – not unlike what Ferrari and Mercedes said about their recent revisions. That may change where McLaren’s strengths lie, and they may not be able to exploit those new opportunities straight away.

First we were told the Baku upgrade package was the big upgrade that would have them ahead of Alpine and challenging the top 4. I remember folks arguing at length with me when I expressed my skepticism because other teams would have improvements and wouldn't be standing still for Mclaren to catch them but some here were determined to argue that Mclaren knew how much others would improve, and that the Baku package was bigger than anything from anyone.

Then Baku happened, and not too much changed. Then the Baku update was downplayed massively after the fact by the team, and here people completely erased the part where Mclaren said the Baku package would have them ahead of Alpine from their memory. Now Mclaren tell us the "real" B-spec is yet to come.

Now they are saying it's not a performance upgrade....The cycle repeats...

I will remain skeptical.

bauc

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 11:18
mclaren111 wrote:
RaceFans:

First we were told the Baku upgrade package was the big upgrade that would have them ahead of Alpine and challenging the top 4.
The above (bold red) is incorrect, they said the first update package is the car the was supposed to show on preseason testing and on race 1
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

bauc wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 12:03
AR3-GP wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:
RaceFans:

First we were told the Baku upgrade package was the big upgrade that would have them ahead of Alpine and challenging the top 4.
The above (bold red) is incorrect, they said the first update package is the car the was supposed to show on preseason testing and on race 1
PhillipM wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 02:05
No it's more just things they've seen already on cars they were hoping were behind them that are basically easy bits of laptime without much downside, that's why they're kicking themselves a bit. It's not magic massive differences, it'll maybe just put them clear to the front of the midfield where they wanted to be again.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 15 Jun 2023, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
RaceFans:

There are quotes from Stella about our current performance. it's great that we have downforce in a straight line but not a corner :D

So it is very much down to the fact that the car isn't as low and flat as we'd like in corners and some sensitivity probably in the Aero.

Regarding the upgrades, I didn't see any actual quotes about the updates, just an opinion piece. What facts back up that this is just a direction change and not focussed on performance? Did I miss some other interviews with Stella?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 12:11
bauc wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

PhillipM wrote:
No it's more just things they've seen already on cars they were hoping were behind them that are basically easy bits of laptime without much downside, that's why they're kicking themselves a bit. It's not magic massive differences, it'll maybe just put them clear to the front of the midfield where they wanted to be again.
That's just an opinion from PhilipM, not the team making a statement about the upgrade?

As it is, it made then 2-3 tenths quicker at Baku and if we'd had that time at the start of the season, we'd likely have been near the front of the midfield.

-Bandit

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mwillems wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 12:13
AR3-GP wrote:
bauc wrote:

PhillipM wrote:
That's just an opinion from PhilipM, not the team making a statement about the upgrade?

As it is, it made then 2-3 tenths quicker at Baku and if we'd had that time at the start of the season, we'd likely have been near the front of the midfield.
As I understood, that user is well connected to Mclaren, so it's more likely fact from the source than opinion.

Anyway, your point was my point from the very beginning. That no team would stand still and if Mclaren found a few tenths, others may do the same at the same time meaning their relative position did not change.

mwillems

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 12:21
mwillems wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 12:13
AR3-GP wrote:

As I understood, that user is well connected to Mclaren, so it's more likely fact from the source than opinion.

Anyway, your point was my point from the very beginning. That no team would stand still and if Mclaren found a few tenths, others may do the same at the same time meaning their relative position did not change.
Yeah I just don't think the team said it would, I saw PhilipM say that but I know he gets information from different sources and when offering opinions they are interpretations on what people are saying to him, so there is an element of Chinese whispers in howe the information gets to him, like any workplace. There is no governance around the info he is provided and provided to us. Not all of those folks feeding information are as informed as others, I would expect. I have certainly seen the PhilipM is wrong on occassion as all folks can be, and I factor this in to what he says.

Probably best not to take what you read on here as Gospel.

Regarding that article, I'm not sure how accurate it is about the future upgrade as it is the only place I have seen it described like that, and there were no quotes, so where is this from?

Edit: Updated chat groups to "different sources", but the point is exactly the same and quite relevant, PhilipM does not represent the team.
Last edited by mwillems on 15 Jun 2023, 18:39, edited 3 times in total.

-Bandit

PhillipM
PhillipM

mwillems wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 12:36
but I know he sees chat groups and interprets what people are saying, so there is an element of Chinese whispers there.
I know I don't engage here any more but I do still read the forums, and I'd rather people don't put words in my mouth about things.
You don't "know" that because I don't do that.
None of my info comes or came from other chats, group chats, or other forums, and never has - I've always been very explicit with both where my info came from, and how reliable or not I thought it was because of it.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

CjC
CjC

Spoutnik wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 14:46
😂😂😂😂
I never had him down for a comedian🤣
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

PhillipM wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 13:48
mwillems wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 12:36
but I know he sees chat groups and interprets what people are saying, so there is an element of Chinese whispers there.
I know I don't engage here any more but I do still read the forums, and I'd rather people don't put words in my mouth about things.
You don't "know" that because I don't do that.
None of my info comes or came from other chats, group chats, or other forums, and never has - I've always been very explicit with both where my info came from, and how reliable or not I thought it was because of it.
First - I didn't put any words into your mouth PhilipM.

Second, It is what I remember reading in the past from you about being part of a group where others message you to write on here- but then that isn't even consequential. You aren't an official arm of the team and there can be Chinese whispers to your process and you can and have been wrong, as well as providing great information, so I don't see an issue with what I said to be honest.

-Bandit

mclaren111

Spoutnik wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 14:46

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
=P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

PhillipM
PhillipM

"but I know he sees chat groups and interprets what people are saying"

There is no such thing, the people message me directly. Of course I'm often wrong, which is why I usually make explicit what is my own opinion vs outside info.

mwillems

PhillipM wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 15:34
"but I know he sees chat groups and interprets what people are saying"

There is no such thing, the people message me directly. Of course I'm often wrong, which is why I usually make explicit what is my own opinion vs outside info.
. I shouldn't have said "know" it was loose language, but that is the only thing I'd change and I think that there is Chinese whispers and the info is not always accurate.

Certainly in the statement quoted previously about being in front of the midfield, it looks very much like opinion to be honest and I do think you interpret what you're told, as the language you use certainly is written that way, perhaps we both use loose language. But then that is kinda perfectly normal isn't it...

Sorry you felt the need to pop up for that, but I think you're being quite silly.

-Bandit