2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Looks like a dry FP1. That should be enough to gather data.

NAPI10
NAPI10

Upgrades looks promising at least in race pace; team must be trying different set-ups for one lap pace

diffuser

NAPI10 wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 01:16
Upgrades looks promising at least in race pace; team must be trying different set-ups for one lap pace
They gathered a ton of data but we might not find out till the next race how good they are. If it rains tomorrow, it'll be anybody's guess as to why.

KimiRai
KimiRai

NAPI10 wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 01:16
Lance and Fernando had different rear wing configurations. Pedro said this was in order to gather as much data as possible.

He also said that Fernando at the start of the session was complaining of a lot of oversteer, but later on he was more comfortable (& a little understeer was noticeable). Sadly we didn't get to hear his final fp2 comments, but at least Tom McCullough said "We tried a lot to get to know the new package better. So far everything is going according to plan".

abhi1200
abhi1200

It took Aston Martin a long time to get up to speed. The setup was repeatedly rebuilt. Then Fernando Alonso first put in a lap in which he set the absolute best time in the first sector but lost in the next two sections. And then one in which he took out two tenths in the first sector and set his personal bests in sectors 2 and 3. In the end, Aston Martin breathed a sigh of relief. Places 4 and 9 are a respectable debut. And also Alonso's long run on the medium tires. The Spaniard was fastest with an average of 1:17.371. "We tried a lot to get to know the new package better. So far everything is going according to plan," chief engineer Tom McCullough said. The tutorial also included the use of different wings. Fernando Alonso drove with more downforce, Lance Stroll with less.

Alonso Fan

They're struggling for tyre warm up again it seems but not a bad thing of it reaps dividends in race pace
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

KimiRai
KimiRai

https://the-race.com/formula-1/astons-n ... ngredient/

Krack in my opinion seems to be preparing everyone psychologically in case the new normal becomes Spain like performances after Mercedes and Ferrari end their underachievement, as he should do. Finishing P4 will still be a great season performance though I think beating Ferrari is very possible still, even if they have a faster car.

peewon

KimiRai wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 16:29

Krack in my opinion seems to be preparing everyone psychologically in case the new normal becomes Spain like performances after Mercedes and Ferrari end their underachievement, as he should do. Finishing P4 will still be a great season performance though I think beating Ferrari is very possible still, even in the case they have a faster car as well.
I think he's being realistic. It's possible they get out developed by like of Merc and Ferrari. Who knows even Alpine is not too far off.

I always wondered how much of their progress was down to what knowledg Fallows brought from RB vs their own ideas. I guess it will be the telling factor but so far the development has not been great. Still early to say but they didn't seem to have very obvious ideas on how to develop the car further.

Since they've brought upgrades the car looks a bit more unstable so maybe quest to make the car less draggy is coming at the cost of some downforce.

KimiRai
KimiRai

peewon wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 17:01
but so far the development has not been great. Still early to say but they didn't seem to have very obvious ideas on how to develop the car further.
I don't agree. Krack himself states in the article that they've improved their car but it could just be the case others did more than them, and in theory they should because both Mercedes and Ferrari still have more people and infrastructure. It's not necessarily that AM has failed, and that's his main point.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Seems to me new package improved tyre wear even fruther,but they struggle to get heat into them for faster runs.
Speculation of course
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

The Prodigy
The Prodigy

KimiRai wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 17:06
peewon wrote:
but so far the development has not been great. Still early to say but they didn't seem to have very obvious ideas on how to develop the car further.
I don't agree. Krack himself states in the article that they've improved their car but it could just be the case others did more than them, and in theory they should because both Mercedes and Ferrari still have more people and infrastructure. It's not necessarily that AM has failed, and that's his main point.
Ferrari and Mercedes not inlay have more people and infrastructure. They have also the more experienced team.

But: Aston Martin should have a big advantage on windtunnel/development time. Shouldn’t that be a huge advantage for AM?

Egresi Tamás
Egresi Tamás

Alonso has confirmed in RdP that they are happy with the new parts, which are behaving as the team expected.

He has also said that they will not be able to extract the full potential of the car until Silverstone yet because they are still optimizing everything.

NAPI10
NAPI10

The best-case scenario for AM is to end the season as 2nd fastest car on the grid behind Redbull & still finish P4 in the construction championship.
Lance is making sure to make it a reality

zoroastar

peewon wrote:
KimiRai wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 16:29

Krack in my opinion seems to be preparing everyone psychologically in case the new normal becomes Spain like performances after Mercedes and Ferrari end their underachievement, as he should do. Finishing P4 will still be a great season performance though I think beating Ferrari is very possible still, even in the case they have a faster car as well.
I think he's being realistic. It's possible they get out developed by like of Merc and Ferrari. Who knows even Alpine is not too far off.

I always wondered how much of their progress was down to what knowledg Fallows brought from RB vs their own ideas. I guess it will be the telling factor but so far the development has not been great. Still early to say but they didn't seem to have very obvious ideas on how to develop the car further.

Since they've brought upgrades the car looks a bit more unstable so maybe quest to make the car less draggy is coming at the cost of some downforce.
yeah people keep saying that. they said it after testing, then after the first race, after a bad race in spain, and now after their big update package when alonso is still 2nd fastest. maybe well finally see their lack of developement after the race tomorrow.

zoroastar

Aston are extremely lucky that they got alonso. can you imagine what they would think about this car if they had 2 Lances driving for them?