2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Darth-Piekus wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 13:28
So technically it is a B-Spec car after all since everything changed on it even the philosophy.
Has the philisophy changed? What changed about the philosophy?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Darth-Piekus wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 13:28
So technically it is a B-Spec car after all since everything changed on it even the philosophy.
Stella said evolution, so which means it'd not a change of philosophy, probably just a different development path. Also, Stella has refrained from calling it a B-spec, at best, he describes it as "sort of" or "what you may call". No chassis change, so it's not until b-spec. Besides, it would be pretty hard to handle a b-spec in a cost cap era. A team like McLaren would be operating near, if not at cap already.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

billamend
billamend

djos wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 14:55
You know what I find hilarious, you guys take issue with me calling the car flawed and using comments from Lando to back up my assertions.
Everyone knows the car is flawed and has been for a long time. But only one driver was unable to extract anything from it. Only one driver used that as an excuse.

Lando has said multiple times that he doesn’t care that the cars are difficult to drive. He just wants it to be fast, he can adapt to anything.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

djos wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 13:54
Balalu wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 13:47
djos wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 13:30
They certainly need a B spec after the last few years of flawed cars!
I see what you're doing. Take a frikin break.
Yeah, yeah, no one likes a realist! #-o

#facts
Realists are ok… Spammers on the other hand…

MrGapes

https://formu1a.uno/en/tella-mclaren-pr ... h-updates/

Stella: “Yeah, we can talk about a B-spec because pretty much everything in contact with air will be redesigned.

“The shape of the car will be different, and we hope to be able to add a few tenths in terms of lap time, which should allow us to be more solidly a Q3 car and consistently score points.

swifteddie1
swifteddie1

I watched the Team Principals press conference and i think we need to temper our expectations with this upgrade. Stella said they are expecting a few tenths of improvement. That doesn't sound like the 0.7 to 0.8 seconds that some on here are expecting. Teams aren't going to stand still so its not realistic that we will jump Alpine/Aston/Mercedes/Ferrari.

What i'm most interested in seeing is the solutions the aero department has come up with to address the aero inefficiencies for the MCL60 and whether those will be a good platform for developing into 2024.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

swifteddie1 wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 19:53
I watched the Team Principals press conference and i think we need to temper our expectations with this upgrade. Stella said they are expecting a few tenths of improvement. That doesn't sound like the 0.7 to 0.8 seconds that some on here are expecting. Teams aren't going to stand still so its not realistic that we will jump Alpine/Aston/Mercedes/Ferrari.

What i'm most interested in seeing is the solutions the aero department has come up with to address the aero inefficiencies for the MCL60 and whether those will be a good platform for developing into 2024.
I don't think anyone here or anywhere is expecting 0.7 to 0.8 secs improvement, except maybe Mika Hakkinen...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

CjC
CjC

swifteddie1 wrote:

Stella’s own target was the 4th fastest car by seasons end
Just a fan's point of view

ScottR267
ScottR267

Ground Effect wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 19:57
swifteddie1 wrote:

I don't think anyone here or anywhere is expecting 0.7 to 0.8 secs improvement, except maybe Mika Hakkinen...
Someone in here has been talking about 1 second instead 😂

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

ScottR267 wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 21:27
Ground Effect wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 19:57
swifteddie1 wrote:

Someone in here has been talking about 1 second instead 😂
I forgot about him 😂

mwillems

djos wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 14:55
Balalu wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 14:43
djos wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 13:54

Yeah, yeah, no one likes a realist! #-o

#facts
We both know the facts, you just choose to see only half of them.

Repeating the same poop again and again will not change anything.

It has been discussed to death, resurrected and disussed to death again many times. Just grab a beer, relax and move on, for your own sake and for the sake of eveyone that reads these forums.
You know what I find hilarious, you guys take issue with me calling the car flawed and using comments from Lando to back up my assertions.

And now we have Andreas telling us, after Key was fired, that Lando was in fact being diplomatic. The car is a dog and needs serious development work to fix!

And then folks like you get all grumpy with me for simply being correct!
Unfortunately, whether this is how you intend to mean it or not in your latest posts, because of the sheer amount of time that you spent previously battering the team and defending Ricciardo, in many peoples eyes you have never taken off those Ricciardo tinted glasses. And they see your posts a little through that lens.

I have to admit I certainly see it that way still, but I try not to get on your back about it. There's enough childish bickering in this thread. Although to be fair, until very recently it had been much better.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

I hope Piastri makes it as he struggles in the wet a lot. Nevermind. This was a much better time than before but he has to go faster. He's not safe yet. It's so nice seeing this abandoned Mclaren project being so good in these wet conditions.

Slahinki
Slahinki

Not too bad of a Q1. Keeping up with a lot of guys in significantly better cars.

Darth-Piekus

Hopefully both Mclarens took the correct strategy on time before the Grand Prix becomes too slippery. We need them both in Q3. Did Piastri got delayed at that last part?

Good job to Mclaren for puting slicks on the right moment to both drivers. So good seeing the car perform in the wet.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Both in q3. Legitimately again.