2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Slahinki wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:23
mwillems wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:16
Slahinki wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:04

I'd say I agree, with the caveat that I have absolutely no clue about the deg McLaren experienced. But yeah, I was honestly a bit surprised when they stopped again.
I thought Ferrari did a smart move by just staying out at the safety car, I suspect we should have done the same.
Yeah, I feel the aim should have been some form of one-stop. Wether going long in the first or second stint is best I don't know but I feel that if you stop early for hards on a track like this you better be able to finish on that set.
I thought it was worth the risk given we had decent pace, we would have gained track position and a lot of free air for the tyres, I think we could have stretched a 1 stop and done better.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

chrisgr wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:27
Slahinki wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:19
Ben1980 wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:13

I dont understand the penalty, surely they have regs or rules to follow?
I could have agreed with a penalty for unsafe release, because that looked dodgy to me. But a penalty for unsportsmanlike behaviour? Give me a frakking break.
I think Lando was under investigation for being slow at turn 10. A clarification would be nice

edit: https://www.racefans.net/2023/06/18/ste ... e-driving/
Remind me again if you can, what was the gap between Lando and Oscar immediately before the the safety car please?
Just a fan's point of view

MrGapes

I’m so glad to see Lando do some ballsy moves today.. he’s usually quite hesitant but he absolutely sent it today… sucks for the penalty

- oddly the car was alright... I was quite pessimistic coming into this weekend.. so many factors on this track go against our car

Anyways starting next race we'll start to see a few changes.. I'm pretty excited

MrGapes

"Finally, we have gone through a long process of redesigning the car"

"We knew that we needed to redesign it substantially to make it more competitive in the future"

"So over the few races coming over, we'll have various stages of upgrades"

"We should gain considerable amount of lap time"

"We should have good racing in the future"

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

chrisgr wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:21
mwillems wrote:
Slahinki wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:04

I'd say I agree, with the caveat that I have absolutely no clue about the deg McLaren experienced. But yeah, I was honestly a bit surprised when they stopped again.
I thought Ferrari did a smart move by just staying out at the safety car, I suspect we should have done the same.
If we're being outsmarted by Ferrari strategy, then we have a problem :D :D
Also Lando's first pit stop was slow.
Haha I know. Ferrari and Williams took the risk, but they must've been pretty confident the numbers would stack up. Albon's pace was just enough to keep the train going, and my face when I saw the Ferrari strategy play out...

MrGapes

Mostlyeels wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 01:21
chrisgr wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Haha I know. Ferrari and Williams took the risk, but they must've been pretty confident the numbers would stack up. Albon's pace was just enough to keep the train going, and my face when I saw the Ferrari strategy play out...
People don't realize how insane the Williams was on the straights this weekend.. they had a massive margin to all the teams.. if that car was quick on the straights before its updates, its a rocket ship now

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

MrGapes wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 01:37
People don't realize how insane the Williams was on the straights this weekend.. they had a massive margin to all the teams.. if that car was quick on the straights before its updates, its a rocket ship now
Yes, the whole race almost without DRS for them. Not the first time they've done this?

McLaren's strategy was conventional (as were most teams, except Ferrari, Perez, Albon, and didn't Hulk do something weird in the last stint?), and most of the time this would play out well, but this time different strategies together with good tyre management or speed, and the SC/VSC worked out well.

I'm personally happy that it worked out for Albon and their strategy team. Wonder how they'll go in Austria. Wonder how McLaren will go in Austria, more to the point!

Harisudhan
Harisudhan

MrGapes wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 00:52

"Finally, we have gone through a long process of redesigning the car"

"We knew that we needed to redesign it substantially to make it more competitive in the future"

"So over the few races coming over, we'll have various stages of upgrades"

"We should gain considerable amount of lap time"

"We should have good racing in the future"

Another Positive is, we are going to get more development time as the places are locked in after this race.

djos

Well that was a disappointing race, both cars should have been in the points, but for some reason McLaren stopped 1 more time than it seemed was really needed. I'd have understood if they'd put the mediums on for the final stint, but putting the hard tires on was a bad move imo.
"In downforce we trust"

PikeStance

I don't know, it seems to me if you going to go to hard tires anyway, you might as well stay out during the yellow. Then again, hindsight is 20/20.
The positive is that we had a pace that looked like we were pulling away from the Ferrari prior to the yellow.
Norris drove much more aggressively than his usual passive self, but I wonder if the better pace is a reason for that.
Oscar looked like a driver with more F1 experience.

If you think we had a horrible race, it could be worse, Hulkenberg started off in 3rd, penalty, and finished behind Piastri. ;)

Anyway, we seem to have pace.... with the upcoming upgrades, I am feeling much more optimistic.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Good noises about the upcoming update, a bit more efficiency is all that is needed to sniff at the top teams. Hopeful :D

mwillems

Nah we also need the platform to be more stable in the corners. Either a wider operating window for the Aero or an upgraded suspension.

In one interview he says a few tenths for the upgrades, I another interview he says it will find a lot of time.

I never quite understand Stella 100%, here's hoping it's half a second!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 08:23
Nah we also need the platform to be more stable in the corners. Either a wider operating window for the Aero or an upgraded suspension.

In one interview he says a few tenths for the upgrades, I another interview he says it will find a lot of time.

I never quite understand Stella 100%, here's hoping it's half a second!
I noticed that as well, makes me scratch my head a bit. Hopefully, they're seeing more and more potential in the sim and other tools they use.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

CjC
CjC

CjC wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:38
chrisgr wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:27
Slahinki wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:19

I could have agreed with a penalty for unsafe release, because that looked dodgy to me. But a penalty for unsportsmanlike behaviour? Give me a frakking break.
I think Lando was under investigation for being slow at turn 10. A clarification would be nice

edit: https://www.racefans.net/2023/06/18/ste ... e-driving/
Remind me again if you can, what was the gap between Lando and Oscar immediately before the the safety car please?
I’ve had a look. Lando was 3 seconds behind Oscar just before the SC then as Oscar enters the pits Lando had dropped back to 6 seconds- basically loosing the extra 3 seconds on the back straight. I guess it was necessary to loose some time as 3 seconds is a bit tight for a pit stop.
Nevermind
Just a fan's point of view

search

Mostlyeels wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 01:21
chrisgr wrote:
mwillems wrote:

the strategy for Ferrari also mainly worked so well because they had a really quick car yesterday, and were able to get a big enough gap on the cars behind before finally pitting. I doubt this would have been the case for McLaren.