2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPower
JPower

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

PikeStance wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 19:02
search wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 09:30
PikeStance wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 09:15

Prior to the yellow, Lando was increasing his lead on the Ferrari. Assuming the tires hold up, I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
Norris was 0.3s ahead of Leclerc when the Safety Car came out.
As I said, when he first made the pass they were quite close, the next time they were shown, there was more separation. The separation was shown in the straights, so.... I don't know. I only started watching F1 two months ago, but I have already watched half of 2021 season. So, maybe my observation skills aren't as fine-tuned. That being said, Norris had real pace and was absolutely attacking the corners.
The Ferrari/Mercedes/Aston group was about a second quicker than the McLaren on Sunday...

the EDGE
the EDGE

JPower wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 23:10
PikeStance wrote:
search wrote:

As I said, when he first made the pass they were quite close, the next time they were shown, there was more separation. The separation was shown in the straights, so.... I don't know. I only started watching F1 two months ago, but I have already watched half of 2021 season. So, maybe my observation skills aren't as fine-tuned. That being said, Norris had real pace and was absolutely attacking the corners.
The Ferrari/Mercedes/Aston group was about a second quicker than the McLaren on Sunday...
Yer, but McLaren were caught in a DRS train, there was definitely more pace in the car. I don’t know if they had to pit during SC, but if not it sure hurt them

PikeStance

JPower wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 23:10
PikeStance wrote:
search wrote:

I think you need to stop looking at pure data. It can be misleading. Both before and after the yellow, The McLarens were stuck behind slower cars. Ferrari played catch up and benefited from the slow car pitting and racing in clean air after the yellow.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

Lucky
Lucky

“At the beginning of the season, we realized relatively early on that the car would need to be reconceived as a whole, and this process is really interesting. I would venture to say that almost all of the aerofoils are involved and this is the reason why the updates will be stretched over more races. It will be quite easy to notice. We had to redesign a few parts of the body. This is also the reason why it took a bit of time before we were in a position to lead this development. I would say involving practically the whole of the machine”.
Since the inception of the league, the members of Woking were crystal clear on the fact that the team has not achieved the design goals for the car, 2023. The MCL60 sin especially of aerodynamic efficiency, with important gaps to speed on the straight. This is accompanied by a lack of downforce to medium-low mileage, a general difficulty in the curves slower where there is a grip mechanic and a poor handling of the tires. On the other hand, McLaren has a good level of load at high speed, when the car near the ground, and a great quick in sending the tyres up to temperature. The new fund brought in Baku has opened a new direction of development, that there is reason to believe has guided the design of the updates coming in the next races.
https://www.formulapassion.it/motorspor ... one-estiva

mwillems

And now it is practically the whole car that has been redesigned?

Did we have to do any crash testing? Did the chassis, crash structure or the nose change at all? Are there logs for FIA crash testing that we can see?

Surely it wasn't everything. Honestly when the new car finaly arrives it is going to be like Christmas, I hope Santa is good to us... What will we get??!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Slahinki
Slahinki

mwillems wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 09:55

Did we have to do any crash testing? Did the chassis, crash structure or the nose change at all? Are there logs for FIA crash testing that we can see?

Surely it wasn't everything. Honestly when the new car finaly arrives it is going to be like Christmas, I hope Santa is good to us... What will we get??!
Stella has so thoroughly confused us about what's coming that I have no idea what to expect anymore. But I guess that's at the very least part of the idea. I'm just looking forward to seeing what exactly they show up with and what they're able to do with it. The wait for Austria is going to be absolutely excruciating...

ort895
ort895

mwillems wrote:

Teams can no longer use new chassis' for upgrades with the budget cap. Mercedes was able to do a massive concept change while keeping theirs so I am not worried.

mwillems

ort895 wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 13:07
mwillems wrote:

Teams can no longer use new chassis' for upgrades with the budget cap. Mercedes was able to do a massive concept change while keeping theirs so I am not worried.
They can, it's just that it almost certainly won't be financially expedient. But the post was more about Stella's language than anything else. I don't actually think the whole car has changed. Could they have changed the nose slightly to accommodate a new suspension? I doubt it, but it is more possible.

The only reason I think that is because it was noted that RBs suspension leans forward a little and this meant they had to extend the length of the car and the wheelbase slightly to accommodate it. Again, I don't think this has happened.

But the point I make is I can't understand from Stellas many interviews what actually they are doing lol

And certainly not that there is anything to worry about, if they deemed it necessary to make any changes to the nose or anywhere else then it is a necessary part of the development.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

From Stella’s latest video after Canada he said every aerodynamic surface, so that would suggest front, rear wings, side pod, engine cover, floor and diffuser.

Whether that is the case only time will tell.
It’ll be interesting to see how much of the upgrade they’ll bring to Austria with it being a sprint weekend. You’d imagine only the easiest upgrades to integrate (if there’s such a thing) will be taken but only time will tell.

I know the updates are spread over Austria and Silverstone but for some reason I’m under the impression they are spread over 3 races including Hungary. Have I got that wrong?
Just a fan's point of view

mclaren111

CjC wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 14:17
From Stella’s latest video after Canada he said every aerodynamic surface, so that would suggest front, rear wings, side pod, engine cover, floor and diffuser.

It’ll be interesting to see how much of the upgrade they’ll bring to Austria with it being a sprint weekend. You’d imagine only the easiest upgrades to integrate (if there’s such a thing) will be taken but only time will tell.

I know the updates are spread over Austria and Silverstone but for some reason I’m under the impression they are spread over 3 races including Hungary. Have I got that wrong?

I also read this last week... Think it was a RaceFans.com article...

CjC
CjC

mclaren111 wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 14:29
CjC wrote:

Or maybe in Belgium? I recall reading/ hearing that another update will come just before the summer break
Just a fan's point of view

KimiRai
KimiRai

CjC wrote:

It'd be certainly weird to bring a lot to a sprint weekend, with just one free practice.

mwillems

CjC wrote:

I've read that to, and in the same article he mentioned that things under the Aero had changed and that almost the whole car has changed. I did also see that there might be upgrades in Hungary too.

Once again, it all just seems add odds with other recent interviews lol

AH well, it'll all turn out well in the end.

-Bandit

mwillems

CjC wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 14:51
mclaren111 wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 14:29
CjC wrote:

Or maybe in Belgium? I recall reading/ hearing that another update will come just before the summer break
I think it is the next 2-3 races, plus then another round of updates post summer break, but timelines may have changed.

-Bandit

mwillems

Here it is, I think the "pretty much the entire car" is an exaggeration, but it is obviously huge if not the chassis itself.

McLaren admit ‘entire car’ has been redesigned:

“Most of the upgrades we will see over the course of the following events, so there will be a major overhaul of the car that will be delivered across Austria, UK, and Hungary,” said Stella.

Explaining the thinking behind what will be delivered, Stella added: “Relatively soon at the start of the season, we realised the car needed a fundamental redesign.

“So this redesign actually involves, I would say, pretty much every single aerodynamic part. That’s why the upgrades will be spread over the course of a few races. We even had to redesign some parts under the bodywork.

“That’s also why it took some time to be in condition to deliver these upgrades. So I would say pretty much the entire car.”

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/06/17/mc ... edesigned/
Last edited by mwillems on 20 Jun 2023, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit