Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vorticism

Re: Ferrari SF23

That bulge in the corner of their diffuser visible when the car was lifted:

Never seen this in any motorsports diffuser. The anti-radius.

Re: comments below. "motorsports diffuser" i.e. motorsports generally i.e. outside of F1.
Last edited by vorticism on 19 Jun 2023, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
𓄀

Farnborough
Farnborough

The other teams using this too, from outside it appears to be giving more of a flare (the only way I can think of describing) to encourage flow exiting the diffuser to attach to the predominant airstream coming through between wheel and outside diffuser wall, brake duct area etc.

vorticism

Loose panel on Sainz' car, quali, Canada.

Farnborough wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 20:01
The other teams using this too...
Who else? Edit: Looks like the W14 uses it but not the RB19.
𓄀

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Vasseur confirmed updates for red bull ring. Was thinking suspension but then there’s a sprint race, so my thinking is front wing or rear wing upgrade at best?

Vanja #66

vorticism wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 19:54
That bulge in the corner of their diffuser visible when the car was lifted:

https://i.postimg.cc/8P4WhRSR/Screen-Sh ... -52-PM.png

Never seen this in any motorsports diffuser. The anti-radius.
Ferrari had that kind of diffuser corner geometry since the launch last year

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

F1NAC

Vinlarr89 wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 00:32
Vasseur confirmed updates for red bull ring. Was thinking suspension but then there’s a sprint race, so my thinking is front wing or rear wing upgrade at best?
suspension is just an imaganary thing for now. Probably we will see track related updates. I would expect (I hope) for some bigger updates in Silverstone. Especially since Merc is bringing another batch of updates and they basically almost cleared us in pace.

gordonthegun

F1NAC wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 09:49
Vinlarr89 wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 00:32
suspension is just an imaganary thing for now. Probably we will see track related updates. I would expect (I hope) for some bigger updates in Silverstone. Especially since Merc is bringing another batch of updates and they basically almost cleared us in pace.
I wouldn't call the track related wing changes as upgrades, so if Ferrari don't want to lie to people, they must bring something more, even small that doesn't need long tests and setups, but something.

gordonthegun

From Motorsport.com Italy (https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... /10485837/):

"The Scuderia has decided to be daring: the budget for the evolution of the SF-23 will be spent entirely within the summer break, now that the Prancing Horse technicians seem to have understood where to get their hands on the red car.
A new floor and a different electric power management of the ERS will debut in Austria, even if at the Red Bull Ring there will be only one session of free practice due to the Sprint race format.
In Maranello they are convinced that the time has come for courageous choices that could also be useful for the 2024 single-seater."

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

gordonthegun wrote:
21 Jun 2023, 18:47
From Motorsport.com Italy (https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... /10485837/):

"The Scuderia has decided to be daring: the budget for the evolution of the SF-23 will be spent entirely within the summer break, now that the Prancing Horse technicians seem to have understood where to get their hands on the red car.
A new floor and a different electric power management of the ERS will debut in Austria, even if at the Red Bull Ring there will be only one session of free practice due to the Sprint race format.
In Maranello they are convinced that the time has come for courageous choices that could also be useful for the 2024 single-seater."
Have a hard time believing that after a new floor only one race ago that they will bring another new floor this quickly... but who knows

Vanja #66

SoulPancake13 wrote:
21 Jun 2023, 19:31
Have a hard time believing that after a new floor only one race ago that they will bring another new floor this quickly... but who knows
The problem with media now is that they are addressing every update on the car as a bulk update. You change a flap on the front wing - new front wing. You change a winglet on brake duct - new brake ducts. You change the floor edge - new floor. In reality, only a few elements are changed at the time (yes, even on the floor, they cut away the old bits and bond them with the new elements), since actually making new parts every time puts a big dent in the limited budget.

Since the start of the season, we know Ferrari changed diffuser keel, floor leading edge with strakes and the floor edge itself. We don't know if they changed the whole underside from Bahrain to Monaco, but it doesn't look likely. But we do know only the floor edge changed between Monaco and Barcelona (and a tiny change on the front outboard strake vortex generator).

#BlessYouLaddie

S D

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Jun 2023, 19:41
SoulPancake13 wrote:
21 Jun 2023, 19:31
The problem with media now is that they are addressing every update on the car as a bulk update. You change a flap on the front wing - new front wing. You change a winglet on brake duct - new brake ducts. You change the floor edge - new floor. In reality, only a few elements are changed at the time (yes, even on the floor, they cut away the old bits and bond them with the new elements), since actually making new parts every time puts a big dent in the limited budget.

Since the start of the season, we know Ferrari changed diffuser keel, floor leading edge with strakes and the floor edge itself. We don't know if they changed the whole underside from Bahrain to Monaco, but it doesn't look likely. But we do know only the floor edge changed between Monaco and Barcelona (and a tiny change on the front outboard strake vortex generator).
I'm with you on this one. The media like to hype with exaggerated click bait. Then when the updates are minor or invisible they quickly declare that it's a let down. Then they can create more click bait about how Ferrari failed to live up to the hype.

gordonthegun

In any case, it was Vasseur who said in an interview with Sky Italy after the Canadian GP, that there would be some upgrades in the Austrian GP.
Then more "precise" information began to arrive on all the Italian motorsport media, namely the floor and a better management of the ERS.
In particular, the ERS (MGU-K) should deliver power less aggressively in some key situations, especially to put less stress on the tyres.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Fair enough to Nugnes, seems like he got it spot on. Formu1a.uno writes that there is a new floor spec already and that it will be ran on Tuesday's filming day in Fioriano. Additionally, a new front wing and rear brake ducts. Also, no new suspension for this car, but for 2024. Link to article: https://formu1a.uno/en/ferrari-exclusiv ... -to-sf-23/

Ced
Ced

SoulPancake13 wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 16:54
Fair enough to Nugnes, seems like he got it spot on. Formu1a.uno writes that there is a new floor spec already and that it will be ran on Tuesday's filming day in Fioriano. Additionally, a new front wing and rear brake ducts. Also, no new suspension for this car, but for 2024. Link to article: https://formu1a.uno/en/ferrari-exclusiv ... -to-sf-23/
Full article 👇🏽
According to Formu1a.uno, Enrico Cardile has pushed very hard to quickly equip the SF-23 with a rather different floor. The engineers have already been given a mandate to start its production. It is not clear whether they will be able to bring 3 specimens to Austria, also in consideration of the tight format of the sprint, which sees the cars go into qualifying on Friday. The site adds that Ferrari will hold their second Filming day at Fiorano on Tuesday with the new floor. Included in that is a new front wing and new front brake ducts. Nobody forbids thinking of the 2023 and 2024 car with the same intensity, however it is not possible to redesign the entire dynamic platform of the current car due to budget constraints and hours in tunnels and CFDs. Despite some rumors, any new suspension project is eagerly awaited on the 676 and we won't see it this season.

Vanja #66

New front wing tested in Filming Day in Fiorano today. A new floor was also mentioned a lot in the last few days, but so far nothing was confirmed.

The endplate and all 4 flaps connecting to it have changed. The endplate is a lot smaller now, rear edge is cut away from the tyres completely. On the front the top corner is curved and the deflector has a different shape. The flaps are fairly different now, with linear slope towards the endplate. The main plane is also changed, mainly the leading edge profile it seems. There is no overhead photo, so there is no comment on the overall planform surface change. I think we will need to wait for Thursday/Friday photos for that - if the new wing will be used in Austria.

https://formu1a-uno.translate.goog/ferr ... r_pto=wapp

#BlessYouLaddie