2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrGapes

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

eurwynf1 wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 07:37
mwillems wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 23:04
I wonder, will tomorrow be the day the pictures surface? I'm excited to see the new Macca..
I hope so too, Imagine they changed concepts to zeropods but got it to work, Mika must of seen something to think we would fight with the Bulls :lol: :lol: =D>
Convergence suggest the larger sidepods is the ideal development direction. If anything the sidepods will be bulkier and have a flatter side profile to act as a skirt with deeper gulley's. Maybe they will reduce some center line cooling and move the louvres to the upper engine cover surface with mini gulley's like Merc.

organic

the EDGE wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 10:40
I’m hoping they’ve moved to a higher anti-dive suspension set-up, like Merc have done. That may have to wait until 2024 though

During Ted’s notebook at Canada he mentioned he believed a deal had been done to bring Rob Marshall into the team earlier than January 2024, I wonder whether this is true or not, as we’ve not heard anything about it yet
I would not be surprised if he was going to move earlier. RB have shown a lot of goodwill towards marshall in his departure (compared to some of their other employee exits) and he hasn't been directly involved in the ongoing regs so may not have as much exposure to currently relevant sensitive info..

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

organic wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 11:47
the EDGE wrote:
I’m hoping they’ve moved to a higher anti-dive suspension set-up, like Merc have done. That may have to wait until 2024 though

During Ted’s notebook at Canada he mentioned he believed a deal had been done to bring Rob Marshall into the team earlier than January 2024, I wonder whether this is true or not, as we’ve not heard anything about it yet
I would not be surprised if he was going to move earlier. RB have shown a lot of goodwill towards marshall in his departure (compared to some of their other employee exits) and he hasn't been directly involved in the ongoing regs so may not have as much exposure to currently relevant sensitive info..
That’s likely the case, but let’s also remember the new FIA directive closing the loophole of teams moving staff to other projects but still exploiting and bringing in data to help the F1 team. Who knows, Marshall could have been such an example. Working in RBPT, specifically on chassis and power unit integration would at least suggest he’d know a bit about the chassis. But he’s still a great engineer with a proven track record.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I read an interview yesterday of Marko reiterating the challenge of keeping their top engineers and technicians from other teams, offering double what they’re being paid in some cases. At the moment, their core team, which Horner has praised is Newey, Waché, Slater, Waterhouse and Balbo. I wonder if there’s a possibility to still get any of these guys on board, (except Newey, of course). If not McLaren could still be eyeing lower level senior staff.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

saputra_25
saputra_25

any sneak peek images from the paddock of the upgrade the team is bringing this weekend? they normally presented this on Thursday right?

SilviuAgo

According to Junaid on Twitter:
AUSTRIAN GP UPDATES:
1. Ferrari - NEW FLOOR [revised in the area of ​​the Venturi tunnels], a new FRONT WING and front BRAKE DUCTS.
2.Alpine - NEW FRONT WING.
3.McLaren - NEW SIDEPODS, ENGINE COVER and FLOOR
4.Williams - Sargeant will get the update that Albon ran last time out

Also Simon Dau confirmed the McLaren MCL60 package for Austria:
"Looks like McLaren are finally cooking something of an exciting nature. New sidepods, engine cover and floor make for a huge update, and let's hope it is one that moves this battered team in the right direction. #F1 #AustrianGP"
Last edited by SilviuAgo on 29 Jun 2023, 12:52, edited 2 times in total.

SilviuAgo

saputra_25 wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 12:26
any sneak peek images from the paddock of the upgrade the team is bringing this weekend? they normally presented this on Thursday right?
For the moment we only have the rear wing configuration for Austrian GP.

organic

Ground Effect wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 11:59
organic wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 11:47
the EDGE wrote:

That’s likely the case, but let’s also remember the new FIA directive closing the loophole of teams moving staff to other projects but still exploiting and bringing in data to help the F1 team. Who knows, Marshall could have been such an example. Working in RBPT, specifically on chassis and power unit integration would at least suggest he’d know a bit about the chassis. But he’s still a great engineer with a proven track record.
He's been focused on the 2026 rules for the past couple of years I believe.. so yes part of their grey area skirting of the cap but I think not directly relevant to the current cars

mwillems

eurwynf1 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
I wonder, will tomorrow be the day the pictures surface? I'm excited to see the new Macca..
I hope so too, Imagine they changed concepts to zeropods but got it to work, Mika must of seen something to think we would fight with the Bulls :lol: :lol: =D>
I've heard rumours it has three wheels and is sponsored by Trotters Independent Traders.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

Ground Effect wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 12:04
I read an interview yesterday of Marko reiterating the challenge of keeping their top engineers and technicians from other teams, offering double what they’re being paid in some cases. At the moment, their core team, which Horner has praised is Newey, Waché, Slater, Waterhouse and Balbo. I wonder if there’s a possibility to still get any of these guys on board, (except Newey, of course). If not McLaren could still be eyeing lower level senior staff.
RBR became the team that they are today 20 years ago by systematically poaching the best people from other teams. life comes full circle

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:

Is anti drive really the benefit of the suspension or is it also to do with managing yaw and keeping the car stable and flatter to the ground in cornering?

-Bandit

MrGapes

mwillems wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 13:42
the EDGE wrote:

Is anti drive really the benefit of the suspension or is it also to do with managing yaw and keeping the car stable and flatter to the ground in cornering?
They took the Red Bull route towards more anti-dive with the front suspension. If it were that easy, everyone would have done it. What risks are hidden in this solution?

Allison: The danger is that too much anti-dive makes the suspension a bit stiff because it takes away travel from the shocks. When you get the balance right, it's a net win because the aerodynamic platform is more controllable. This gives you more advantages than more freedom with dampers and springs.

^^ quote from James Allison in a interview

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 13:46
mwillems wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 13:42
the EDGE wrote:

They took the Red Bull route towards more anti-dive with the front suspension. If it were that easy, everyone would have done it. What risks are hidden in this solution?

Allison: The danger is that too much anti-dive makes the suspension a bit stiff because it takes away travel from the shocks. When you get the balance right, it's a net win because the aerodynamic platform is more controllable. This gives you more advantages than more freedom with dampers and springs.

^^ quote from James Allison in a interview
Yeah, to explain better I think the term anti dive has stuck but is misleading in that it is about managing that diving forward and leaning out of the corner. I may be totally wrong though.
Last edited by mwillems on 29 Jun 2023, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 13:27
eurwynf1 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
I've heard rumours it has three wheels and is sponsored by Trotters Independent Traders.

=D> :lol: :lol: =D>

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

I'm hoping the sidepod they bring is a novel concept! Something out of the box