McLaren MCL60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
pronopheus

Re: McLaren MCL60

The double t-tray was there since the Baku floor.
Last edited by pronopheus on 30 Jun 2023, 13:39, edited 2 times in total.

JordanMugen

AR3-GP wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 19:25
Yes it has the appearance of the launch spec RB and the launch spec AMR cobbled together. Considering the timing, this makes sense as this work would have had to have been in the windtunnel since the start of the season. They've even made the sidepod inlet detail more obvious.

If the performance of AMR and RB is anything to go by, then this is a good direction.
It's OK, but it makes it seem as if they are following instead of leading with their own ideas. In theory, that would make it impossible for McLaren to catch those two teams as they will (presumably) always be a step behind?

Unless this is just a stepping stone before original McLaren ideas are introduced on the next upgrade?

You can see where the original radiator inlet was (lower down). I wonder why McLaren did not initially place the inlet as high as possible for the largest undercut, but instead have only done so now? What were the benefits of the previous McLaren design over this current design and why have McLaren supposed the positives of the higher inlet now outweigh the negatives?

organic

proteus

JordanMugen wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 13:46
AR3-GP wrote:
Yes it has the appearance of the launch spec RB and the launch spec AMR cobbled together. Considering the timing, this makes sense as this work would have had to have been in the windtunnel since the start of the season. They've even made the sidepod inlet detail more obvious.

If the performance of AMR and RB is anything to go by, then this is a good direction.
It's OK, but it makes it seem as if they are following instead of leading with their own ideas. In theory, that would make it impossible for McLaren to catch those two teams as they will (presumably) always be a step behind?

Unless this is just a stepping stone before original McLaren ideas are introduced on the next upgrade?

You can see where the original radiator inlet was (lower down). I wonder why McLaren did not initially place the inlet as high as possible for the largest undercut, but instead have only done so now? What were the benefits of the previous McLaren design over this current design and why have McLaren supposed the positives of the higher inlet now outweigh the negatives?
Ferrari had their original idea and they ditched it, Mercedes had one and ditched, Williams had one and ditched it, Alpine had theirs and they changed it, Haas had one and changed it, also AMR... To me it looks like RedBull was spot on right from the start and majority of the field is copying what they came up with last year allready. Every single team above tried their own version of sidepods last year and they all more or less failed, with Ferrari being the most succesfull. And all implemented some kind of RbR style in the end.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

mwillems

proteus wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 14:17
JordanMugen wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Ferrari had their original idea and they ditched it, Mercedes had one and ditched, Williams had one and ditched it, Alpine had theirs and they changed it, Haas had one and changed it, also AMR... To me it looks like RedBull was spot on right from the start and majority of the field is copying what they came up with last year allready. Every single team above tried their own version of sidepods last year and they all more or less failed, with Ferrari being the most succesfull. And all implemented some kind of RbR style in the end.

How much of a differentiator are the sidepods? Yes they help and they need to work with the package but my understanding from comments from many teams, including Mercedes recently, is that the sidepods aren't much of a differentiator. Mercedes specifically stating that their time wasn't found from the sidepods and that the significant change did not represent significant time found, it was just a bit more optimal.

The floor is where the geometry is so car specific that you can't really copy other peoples designs and this is where I am more concerned about whether we have found the time and where we have focussed our innovation.

Somebody mentioned a new rear wing soon, but I think we've already had it. I'm expecting new front wing and diffuser and possibly some new suspension and some of the pieces around it.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mclaren111

Nice angle...

bjpower
bjpower

organic wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 14:08
Is that another inlet? or an optical illusion?
I don't see it in other pics

JordanMugen

organic wrote:
It seems like the flow vis paint was put on too thick and a lot of that is just paint splatter and runs, and not actual streaklines, bifurcation lines and separation lines?

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

From Autosport

michl420
michl420

I think a key element from red bull with that big sidepod undercut is maximize the strenght of the air that flow over the floor edge or that airflow to the rear tire/floor gap. Many teams go in that direction now. But this distinctive bump on the outside of the front sidepod half that Red Bull had since 2022 copied (until now) no one.

bosyber
bosyber

JordanMugen wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 14:46
organic wrote:
It seems like the flow vis paint was put on too thick and a lot of that is just paint splatter and runs, and not actual streaklines, bifurcation lines and separation lines?
Almost wonder whether they did it intentionally (and are using before vs after+some filter to compare, hiding some of the flow), it looks so thick.

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 14:22
proteus wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:

How much of a differentiator are the sidepods? Yes they help and they need to work with the package but my understanding from comments from many teams, including Mercedes recently, is that the sidepods aren't much of a differentiator. Mercedes specifically stating that their time wasn't found from the sidepods and that the significant change did not represent significant time found, it was just a bit more optimal.

The floor is where the geometry is so car specific that you can't really copy other peoples designs and this is where I am more concerned about whether we have found the time and where we have focussed our innovation.

Somebody mentioned a new rear wing soon, but I think we've already had it. I'm expecting new front wing and diffuser and possibly some new suspension and some of the pieces around it.
Only track specific rear wings so far.
We’ll see next week if they have a new design with a track specific wing angle on
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 16:58
mwillems wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 14:22
proteus wrote:

Only track specific rear wings so far.
We’ll see next week if they have a new design with a track specific wing angle on
I mean to say a new design RW and beam wing appeared in Canada and seemed to help.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

michl420
michl420

michl420 wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 16:11
I think a key element from red bull with that big sidepod undercut is maximize the strenght of the air that flow over the floor edge or that airflow to the rear tire/floor gap. Many teams go in that direction now. But this distinctive bump on the outside of the front sidepod half that Red Bull had since 2022 copied (until now) no one.
Actually I see now that Ferrari have sort of a bulg now, but only by accident :twisted: .

_cerber1