2023 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 30 - July 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Juzh

Re: 2023 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 30 - July 02

langedweil wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:24
chrisc90 wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:22

Really really need to sort that out if they are re-instating laps after Q3.
That'd be odd
One of gasly's deleted laps got reinstated like 5-7 minutes after it was deleted. In that case we got a message from race control, there isn't one in perez' case so I'm sceptical.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Mr.S wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:31
Given the race pace Ferrari showed in Canada, if they keep @ it & continue to develop, they will be winning races this year especially given RB has really slowed down on upgrades to focus on next year's car.

Mclaren, surprise of the event. If this was 50% & they have 25% coming in Silverstone & Hungary, they will be seeing many podiums this season. Very difficult to judge race pace but their upgrades in Baku & beyond were already reasonable enough to get near to Alpine level before this big package.

The Gap to RB has shrunk. Aston will probably miss Q3 in Silverstone given Mercedes are bringing a big upgrade (they say biggest of the season), Perez will probably turn sane & Piastri will get Norris's upgrades + 25% more. It is going to be tight. The 1s gap to RB is gone. Everyone will be bunched up within 5/6 tenths. So a few tenths here & there & you are P2/P3/P4 types or you could be out of Q3.

This will be an upgrade race between Ferrari, Mclaren, Aston & Mercedes with Alpine nearby as well.
Remember that Austria is a very short track. To interpret the gaps generally you need to look at percentages or gaps normalized by circuit length (and even this can be flawed as some circuits can be biased towards specific corner types).
A lion must kill its prey.

Juzh

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:18
Juzh wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:01
denyall wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 17:55

The walls of Monaco and Baku are millimeters, so I see no issue. The track is the track, off the track is off.
Nah, it's not the same. Some puny white lines can't hold same significance as solid walls or gravel, I dont care what those BS rules say. If kerbs were the limits as they were for years and years then this would be avoided entirely or at least in 95% of cases.
Track limits are entirely in the control of the driver - they go out that wide because it's faster. But they decide how far to push it, no one else. To then complain about it is silly - just don't go out there.

The answer is to make going out there slower than not going out there - a 1m wide strip of gravel or wet AstroTurf immediately behind the ribbed kerb. The drivers will then miraculously be able to ride the edge of the kerb and avoid the nasty stuff on the other side.

It's good that they enforced them, it's a shame it takes so long to do it.
I know what the whole deal is, still I don't agree with it. IMO they should adjust the rules on per track basis as they did in the past and that was much more sensible. Now drivers dont actually push, they just look for that 3cm line, game of chicken is all it is.

Artur Craft

What a fiasco the track limits stewarding! Both of Verstappen´s deleted laps were in. His front tyres were out of the track but the right rear was in on both laps and that could be said about a few others too. It would be nice if someone picked up the footage from the 1st QLF, in Austria, from 2020(The one where Bottas got pole, and I think Hamilton got pole on the other one). FOM/Liberty showed an animation making it very clear where the limits were on the final turn and that was showed in the opening of every session.Then, on his first lap of Q3, Hamilton went off the track, with all 4 wheels, by a huge margin and guess what?! His first lap was not deleted :roll: F1 has always been extremelly unfair and inconsistent with their penalties.

Sevach
Sevach

Juzh wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:17
Sevach wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:15
organic wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:09
Classic leclerc.. Sainz had better pace all weekend and in Q3 Leclerc comes alive and almost grabs pole :lol:
Those final 2 corners looked spetacular from the outside, car absolutely on the edge, hopefully someone (Juzh) can find us the onboard.

Good evolution for Ferrari and Mclaren.
Maybe later today and if not, then tomorrow.
Thanks =D>

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Juzh wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:34
langedweil wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:22

Really really need to sort that out if they are re-instating laps after Q3.
That'd be odd
One of gasly's deleted laps got reinstated like 5-7 minutes after it was deleted. In that case we got a message from race control, there isn't one in perez' case so I'm sceptical.
https://i.imgur.com/VxA2U2y.png
What if the team already burned another set of tires due to race control's mistake?

Juzh

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:42
Juzh wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:34
langedweil wrote:

That'd be odd
https://i.imgur.com/VxA2U2y.png
What if the team already burned another set of tires due to race control's mistake?
Tough luck

vorticism

DGP123 wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:23
Max might win this title with six or seven races to spare.
It's like the sack of Rome all over again. Absolute gigagoths.
𓄀

Artur Craft

Fantastic lap from LEC, the rear was about to go away on the final two corners, what a commitment from him! Nice lap from Sainz also, by far the strongest line up on the field*.

Mercedes has always been a good car on Barcelona. I remember them topping the times on the first pre season testings of these new regulations. Now we are seeing how their car remains pretty much where they were, ie, entangled with AM, FER and even Mclaren now. People are waking up from their sweet dreams. We should start a bet on which GP Max will be mathmatically champion.

* I would rate the drivers as this: VER=9.6, PER=7.5 ; HAM=8.8(much better rating than his team mate mainly because of consistency), RUS=7.7 ; LEC=9.6(on dry I think he´s a tiny bit better than Max but VER is way better on wet, but dry performance matters more), SAI=8.3 ; NOR=8.2(I know he´s appears to be a genious now but Sainz had him covered for 2 straight years so I can´t rate him higher than the Spaniard), PIA=7(way too early to judge but he´s certainly not setting the world on fire.) Will not judge the drivers from other teams because their cars are too slow anyway, eventhough Hulk and Albon are punching way above the weight of their machinery

denyall

Juzh wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:36
Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:18
Juzh wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:01

Nah, it's not the same. Some puny white lines can't hold same significance as solid walls or gravel, I dont care what those BS rules say. If kerbs were the limits as they were for years and years then this would be avoided entirely or at least in 95% of cases.
Track limits are entirely in the control of the driver - they go out that wide because it's faster. But they decide how far to push it, no one else. To then complain about it is silly - just don't go out there.

The answer is to make going out there slower than not going out there - a 1m wide strip of gravel or wet AstroTurf immediately behind the ribbed kerb. The drivers will then miraculously be able to ride the edge of the kerb and avoid the nasty stuff on the other side.

It's good that they enforced them, it's a shame it takes so long to do it.
I know what the whole deal is, still I don't agree with it. IMO they should adjust the rules on per track basis as they did in the past and that was much more sensible. Now drivers dont actually push, they just look for that 3cm line, game of chicken is all it is.
What are you talking about?! Of course they push, to the limit of the line! In fact they push harder because the penalty for getting it wrong is your lap time deleted and not a trip to the garage. Wherever they set the limit drivers will go to the absolute limit if it benefits them. Perez failing to put in a banker is on him. Many drivers didn't have any problem setting fast times and staying on the track.

ValeVida46

It's a toy track for cars that are far too big.

The risk reward is also silly, a tenth maybe 2 or get a lap time deleted. No Bueno

Artur Craft

DGP123 wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:23
Max might win this title with six or seven races to spare.
Yeah, we might start betting on this. If the gap from 1st to 2nd was as big as the old system(10,6,4....) I think he would wrap it by mid season. Remember RB is not even a super dooper car on QLF, they perform relatively better on the races, where points are given. BTW, tomorrow there is another QLF and a gimmicky "race" and I have mixed feeling about that...

Artur Craft

Sevach wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:39
Juzh wrote:
Sevach wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:15

Those final 2 corners looked spetacular from the outside, car absolutely on the edge, hopefully someone (Juzh) can find us the onboard.

Good evolution for Ferrari and Mclaren.
Thanks =D>
Shal´s final lap was really on the edge, I thought he was gonna lose the rear on both corners. I guess the others were not remarkable. About the bold part, it might be solely track dependant and I won´t be surprised if Mclaren is nowhere again on, say, Silverstone.

Sevach
Sevach

Artur Craft wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 19:06
Sevach wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:39
Juzh wrote:

Thanks =D>
Shal´s final lap was really on the edge, I thought he was gonna lose the rear on both corners. I guess the others were not remarkable. About the bold part, it might be solely track dependant and I won´t be surprised if Mclaren is nowhere again on, say, Silverstone.
It's possible, but they were fast in every part of qualy today(both teams), it wasn't simply a magic lap(other than maybe Charles to threaten Max), i'm expecting good things.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The track limit fiasco puts a damper on the whole qualifying session. We shouldn't have to see laptimes get posted, applaud a driver, and then see his time revoked 5 minutes later.

More usage of natural terrain track limits which are self policing and apply their punishment immediately are needed.

As if it was not farcical enough, race control reinstated laps during the session :?