2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrGapes

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:17
Totally unkown, the package hasn't been in the race. Not sure if the floor is the solution to the way we handle the tyres so we may be a bit slower in the sprint race and the main race. Still, we have the chance to go again in the sprint qualifying and see if we can extract any more from the car.
If it rains maybe we cook! :lol:

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

The team had mentioned the challenges they have on Sundays, and there’s a conscious effort to address it with the upgrades, so let’s hope for improvements.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:19
mwillems wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:17
Totally unkown, the package hasn't been in the race. Not sure if the floor is the solution to the way we handle the tyres so we may be a bit slower in the sprint race and the main race. Still, we have the chance to go again in the sprint qualifying and see if we can extract any more from the car.
If it rains maybe we cook! :lol:
Very much so.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky

Lando was 0.55 faster than Oscar.
It's good.

chrisc90

What a upgrade package! Seriously hoping it transpires into race pace too!

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:19
The team had mentioned the challenges they have on Sundays, and there’s a conscious effort to address it with the upgrades, so let’s hope for improvements.
Yeah I'm meaning I'm not sure which part of the upgrade over the next few races will address that issue.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Mansell89
Mansell89

Really pleasing to see that pace over one lap on a track where you don’t wanna be draggy- we certainly look more efficient, superb effort from Lando and even Oscar was unlucky there.

Clearly some potential in this first part of the upgrade - will see what else is to come but a nice dose of positivity and potential- just what the doctor ordered for this new design group.

organic

Amazing result after the upgrade. Couldn't hope for anything more.

f1rules
f1rules

Positive first impression, but lets see race pace, also this is a track that lando always performs well at, and a simpel track that suits even the old car, but signs are good

Emag
Emag

It is very important to see how this transpires into race pace. It has been McLaren's doom since forever at this point. They almost never translate their quali pace to race pace.

If this is translated into race pace tomorrow and on sunday, then it's reasonable to assume the next half of the season will look much different for McLaren.

Looking forward to the rest 50% of this upgrade package. Already in Silverstone they should have a more mature iteration of this concept, but I am mostly looking forward to Hungary and Belgium with the full thing.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Yeah boys. I am grinning from ear to ear. Yes all the usual provisos apply but it seems like a solid 0.3-0.5s gap to the old package which is extremely encouraging

Lucky
Lucky

Lando Norris: I am super happy. The guys have done a good job to get all the parts here, and it paid off straight away. A very good day from start to finish. Small problems this morning, but with quite a new car and to get it to work as it should. The guys have done a good job.
I am complaining. I could have been P3, I made a little mistake. The last corner is a difficult corner, and I just missed the apex a little bit. It definitely cost me P3, I would have like to beat Carlos.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Lucky wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:40
Lando Norris: I am super happy. The guys have done a good job to get all the parts here, and it paid off straight away. A very good day from start to finish. Small problems this morning, but with quite a new car and to get it to work as it should. The guys have done a good job.
I am complaining. I could have been P3, I made a little mistake. The last corner is a difficult corner, and I just missed the apex a little bit. It definitely cost me P3, I would have like to beat Carlos.
Was just about to mention this. More pace definitely in it over one lap! I was stunned when I heard Lando was on a used set on that first run. Hopefully it transfers into race pace, I'm cautiously optimistic though

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Good job, Team! Excellent drive for Lando! I am satisfied! The increase in downforce should give us control over tire wear and higher pace in the race. I also note that the rear wing is used the same as in Canada, and it was updated there.

Lucky
Lucky