2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sieper

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Juzh wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:38
That little dirty air did him in. I think he could be 3rd or 4th on the grid otherwise. That's assuming he'd be able to make a clean lap in Q3 that is.
This. The car there waiting to start the lap, Ocon I think, just a tad of dirty air and you drift a bit wider.

TNTHead

Sieper wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:50
Juzh wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:38
That little dirty air did him in. I think he could be 3rd or 4th on the grid otherwise. That's assuming he'd be able to make a clean lap in Q3 that is.
This. The car there waiting to start the lap, Ocon I think, just a tad of dirty air and you drift a bit wider.
And may be a slight interuption of his concentration. But then again, he could have driven 4 tenth's slower than Max and still would have reached Q3. Three times in a row track limits is just not smart.

So I think the pressure on Perez is rising and the odds for an in season swap is also increasing.

organic

I don't think an in-season swap will occur but I think his chances of being in for 2024 are dwindling to nil

Curbstone
Curbstone

'Not smart' is quite the understatement. For that final run he was told to just put in a banker-lap, but Perez descidded to take the risks... Failing, and then blaming the system and Albon... That's just digging your own grave.

TNTHead

Curbstone wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 07:31
'Not smart' is quite the understatement. For that final run he was told to just put in a banker-lap, but Perez descidded to take the risks... Failing, and then blaming the system and Albon... That's just digging your own grave.
Horner was frustrated and annoyed about that
https://nos.nl/video/2480965-horner-kri ... t-gebeuren

organic

Pierre waché insinuating that RB still have some problems with the weight of the car and/or understeer
An engineer like Waché is never satisfied. Last year, the Red Bull was initially still very overweight and the front of that car, the RB18, was still a bit weak. “We still have some issues with that,” says Waché. “Everything is very close. We have a budget ceiling and manufacturing parts costs a lot of money.”
From this interview with him
https://archive.ph/2023.07.01-052102/ht ... en-op-2024

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I think that Perez is not exercising good judgement or choosing his battles and it's to the detriment of the team. After yesterday and the previous race weekends, what he needed was a boring consolidation drive to P2. Instead, he went right back to edge trying to live with Max, which is what got him in trouble in the first place.

Considering the 20+ second gap at the end, I'm unsure why RB/Horner would even entertain what happened at the start. :wtf: Perez managed all of 2 seconds on Sainz in 24 laps. Having Perez delay Max is not in the team's interest. Perez is simply not fast enough.
A lion must kill its prey.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 19:43
I think that Perez is not exercising good judgement or choosing his battles and it's to the detriment of the team. After yesterday and the previous race weekends, what he needed was a boring consolidation drive to P2. Instead, he went right back to edge trying to live with Max, which is what got him in trouble in the first place.

Considering the 20+ second gap at the end, I'm unsure why RB/Horner would even entertain what happened at the start. :wtf: Perez managed all of 2 seconds on Sainz in 24 laps. Having Perez delay Max is not in the team's interest. Perez is simply not fast enough.
I don’t mind them fighting but your teammate halfway onto the grass and risking a massive shunt is just daft. If VER had done it I would have called him a total idiot for it too. The return overtake in the next corner was probably deliberately done by VER. Don’t think it was particularly gentlemanly done but it’s got precedent with other drivers too.

Rikhart
Rikhart

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 19:43

After today, I can see them swapping him out mid-year.

Zynerji

I mean, Max chopped to block Checo very hard at the start. He kinda instigated the entire thing IMHO.

organic

Zynerji wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 23:00
I mean, Max chopped to block Checo very hard at the start. He kinda instigated the entire thing IMHO.
Defending at the start like everyone does is different to pushing teammate onto wet grass on a straight with entire pack behind. Not laying down the red carpet Vs a dangerous manoeuvre.

Zynerji

organic wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 23:02
Zynerji wrote:
Defending at the start like everyone does is different to pushing teammate onto wet grass on a straight with entire pack behind. Not laying down the red carpet Vs a dangerous manoeuvre.
I think Checos message about "Whats wrong with Max" came from how close that chop put him to the wall first.😒

TimW
TimW

Rikhart wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 22:57
They won't as long as Perez stays in the battle for 2nd place for the WDC. Something can happen to Max that takes him out of the championship. In that case Perez is their back up. If they swap him for another driver, that driver will not be competing in the WDC, he will just be a support act for Max.

Perez will only need to worry if he loses sight of 2nd in the WDC.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Zynerji wrote:
Drivers coming across from pole is nothing unusual at all. Space was given. Perez didn't hit the wall.

Sainz did the same last year on the red flag restart in Silverstone:

Perez did the same thing in Baku '21:

There are countless others who move like this on the race start. Isn't it called the "Schumacher chop"? It's nothing unusual or new to the sport. It's textbook "don't give the inside guy a radius" so he has to slow down more.
A lion must kill its prey.

Big Tea

TimW wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 23:27
Rikhart wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 22:57
They won't as long as Perez stays in the battle for 2nd place for the WDC. Something can happen to Max that takes him out of the championship. In that case Perez is their back up. If they swap him for another driver, that driver will not be competing in the WDC, he will just be a support act for Max.

Perez will only need to worry if he loses sight of 2nd in the WDC.
I think what Checo has going for him this year is that if he was to be changed, it would be embarrassing for some one.
Its getting to be the old story now that someone is chosen as a good driver who will survive against Max and bring the other car home with good points, and it is not happening and has not happened for the last handful of drivers.

It leaves the question of who is choosing the replacement drivers and by what criteria.
Either they have made several large mistakes time on time, or something is changing the driver once they are in the car.

Best option is to brush it under the carpet and wait for the natural change time, or get awkward questions.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.