2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Always nice to come to the team thread and see lots of smiles :) Upgrade package worked well, judging by the gap between the two drivers.

Yes, Silverstone and Hungary will be the real tests, but I'm happy to enjoy being competitive again for a change!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Let’s take this weekend with a grain of salt and not build too high expectations… This is a circuit that McLaren was expecting to have good performance regardless of the new package… The half a second between Piastri and Norris isn’t far off from other qualifying sessions and even though the upgrades may have had an effect, based on everything we’ve seeing so far this season a big part of the Delta is driver related.

On the other hand, the Team worked hard to get this package to the track and it’s following design cues that clearly work and there is nothing wrong with that, I’m actually happy that ego’s are not getting in the way and they have enough humility to copy what is proven to generate performance… Hopefully a bit of McLaren’s DNA has been mixed in and they can extract a bit more

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 01:22
Let’s take this weekend with a grain of salt and not build too high expectations… This is a circuit that McLaren was expecting to have good performance regardless of the new package… The half a second between Piastri and Norris isn’t far off from other qualifying sessions and even though the upgrades may have had an effect, based on everything we’ve seeing so far this season a big part of the Delta is driver related.

On the other hand, the Team worked hard to get this package to the track and it’s following design cues that clearly work and there is nothing wrong with that, I’m actually happy that ego’s are not getting in the way and they have enough humility to copy what is proven to generate performance… Hopefully a bit of McLaren’s DNA has been mixed in and they can extract a bit more
I was thinking yesterday about throwing some cautionary tales in around seeing the platform at other tracks, this is just one qualy section and the fact that this track was always going to suit the car... but you've been that guy so thanks 🤣

But even though I agree in sentiment it is worth pointing out that half a second is generally bigger than the Delta between the Mclaren drivers, especially recently, and that at such a fast track with low lap times as Austria half a second is bigger than it sounds.

So it does seem with one small amount of evidence that the car could be a lot faster. But personally I think we need the "pinch test" to make sure that this wasn't circumstantial because its also possible that everything came together to make it look this way.

If the gap is consistently big after this weekend then the package works here, then we see about Silverstone etc

But I have to say it does look good for us right now and maybe, juuuuuust maybe, Mika wasn't smoking crack....
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky

MrGapes

After looking at the telemetry what has surprised me the most is the performance in the slower corners and the corners that induce understeer.. historically in turn 3-4 and 10 is where the car lost majority of its time in past cars even in 2021.. the delta between max and Lando is 0.0048 because the MCL35M was low drag hence made up for this deficiency in these corners. But with this car.. Lando was one of these quickest in all of these corners, I don't know if the team has turned a page on slow speed performance, but it certainly looks far better, and will aid overall racepace.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Lucky wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 07:38
Is that for the Sunday race? Or does the sprint choice also come out of the allocation?

Either way, quietly pleased to see 2 sets of hards available for the McLarens.

Lucky
Lucky

Mansell89 wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 08:33
Lucky wrote:
Is that for the Sunday race? Or does the sprint choice also come out of the allocation?

This is for qualifying and two races.

Seerix
Seerix

Oscar actually did 1:05.213(deleted lap) so he was less than 2 tenths of Lando in Q2, or am I wrong?
Anyways, hopefully during the race we will see the difference in race pace with the upgrade, the most important topic.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Seerix wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 09:48
Oscar actually did 1:05.213(deleted lap) so he was less than 2 tenths of Lando in Q2, or am I wrong?
Anyways, hopefully during the race we will see the difference in race pace with the upgrade, the most important topic.
You right, he said a caught a bit if tail wind in the last corner, which apparently caused him to exceed track limits.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

BMMR61

Well done getting the setup for a distinctly revised car into the window, indeed getting it to track a week ahead of schedule. Good decision to put the new parts behind Lando, both drivers understand the deal and it’s also a way to get comparisons between the MCL60 and “60B”. 😉
Weather for today looks iffy so we may get another read on the upgrade in a different scenario. Not bad prospects considering it’s an interrupted sprint weekend. Well done to all for yesterday’s efforts, we’ve come a long way in eight races.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

I really see the gap between old and new package more to be around 0.2-0.3 on this track. Lando is always rapid around here and generally outqualifies Oscar.
But from top speed, low speed to high speed into straight line speed, All indications are there of an improved package. If race pace also is greatly improved I’m cautiously optimistic. Especially considering it’s 50% of the total package upgrade. No fine tuning. No dialling in on a longer track etc. It’s out of the box quick. That means the underbody aero just works otherwise this isn’t possible. Huge compliments to the guys at the factory. That floor looks a lot different but clearly delivers

djos

The Track limits issue in Austria is ridiculous, why don’t they just put gravel on the other side of the curbs and then the drivers will self police.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

Mansell89 wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 08:33
Lucky wrote:

We will use that for the rest of the weekend, the 1 red is likely to be used for sprint Qualy but we could save it for the race if we thought that was better, and start on a new red instead of used red since we can start on any tyre we want this weekend. I have no idea what is best but I think they'll use the soft for sprint Qualy.

-Bandit

mwillems

djos wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 10:00
The Track limits issue in Austria is ridiculous, why don’t they just put gravel on the other side of the curbs and then the drivers will self police.
Not sure about Austria, but some places can't have gravel due to motorbike races held there. I'd prefer gravel everywhere, I'd rather see people physically punished on track for their mistakes than through the stewards.

-Bandit

djos

mwillems wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 10:11
djos wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 10:00
Not sure about Austria, but some places can't have gravel due to motorbike races held there. I'd prefer gravel everywhere, I'd rather see people physically punished on track for their mistakes than through the stewards.
Same, grass or sand would likely work well too.
"In downforce we trust"