2023 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 30 - July 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 30 - July 02

I didn't get to see the sprint, but I see that RB locked out the front row for the sprint. What happened to the Ferraris and Alonso?
A lion must kill its prey.

search

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 14:19
I didn't get to see the sprint, but I see that RB locked out the front row for the sprint. What happened to the Ferraris and Alonso?
nothing really. They were just slow today. Alonso and Sainz had no new softs left for SQ3, but that was the case for Hülkenberg (who took Mediums instead) and Perez as well

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 14:19
Leclerc just was struggling to set good times, most likely bad tyre warmup, Sainz was setting competitive times but ran out of softs at the end. Alonso just wasn't on it, same as yesterday - didn't have soft tyres either.

hollus

Cs98 wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 14:15
Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 14:04
mendis wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 13:43
How do they assess if it was deliberate? What are the provisions for a deliberate Vs non deliberate penalty?
You look at the throttle trace and see flat out to drag past on the straight and then less than to be expected in the corner. Can't claim "I didn't know he was there" because he'd just overtaken him in to the corner before deliberately slowing down on the apex/exit.

It's entirely obvious that he deliberately went to mess up Hamilton's lap. He overtook him and then messed around in T1 and immediately afterwards before pulling over. It was childish behaviour and entirely as expected from Max in such a circumstance.
He'll just say. "He impeded me so I had to go for another push lap to ensure I was safe". Him backing off out of T1 conincides with GP telling him he went P1 and was safe.
OK, I just watched it from Verstappen P1. And that is exactly what happened: Midway through the straight the engineer went "OK, that's P1 Max ..." and then, immediately, Max backs off.
Rivals, not enemies.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

3 place penalty for leclerc

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

hollus wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 14:24
Cs98 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

You look at the throttle trace and see flat out to drag past on the straight and then less than to be expected in the corner. Can't claim "I didn't know he was there" because he'd just overtaken him in to the corner before deliberately slowing down on the apex/exit.

It's entirely obvious that he deliberately went to mess up Hamilton's lap. He overtook him and then messed around in T1 and immediately afterwards before pulling over. It was childish behaviour and entirely as expected from Max in such a circumstance.
He'll just say. "He impeded me so I had to go for another push lap to ensure I was safe". Him backing off out of T1 conincides with GP telling him he went P1 and was safe.
OK, I just watched it from Verstappen P1. And that is exactly what happened: Midway through the straight the engineer went "OK, that's P1 Max ..." and then, immediately, Max backs off.
Depends if the audio is actually in sync or just overlayed.

Mogster

Cs98 wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 14:18
bosyber wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 14:07
Just_a_fan wrote:

Yeah, pretty clear really. Don't expect to happen anything with it then, it's Verstappen, and it's in Austria, somehow the FIA never seems to finds fault in some circumstances.
FIA never seems to finds fault in some circumstances.
Like Hamilton dawdling on racing line out of the final corner?
Hamilton wasn’t dawdling though he just seemed to be fighting with the car. Juvenile from Max.

Cs98
Cs98

GrizzleBoy wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 14:34
hollus wrote:
Cs98 wrote:

There's a five second delay on audio, so the message comes right on the exit of T1.

Cs98
Cs98

Mogster wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 14:36
Cs98 wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 14:18
bosyber wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 14:07

Yeah, pretty clear really. Don't expect to happen anything with it then, it's Verstappen, and it's in Austria, somehow the FIA never seems to finds fault in some circumstances.
FIA never seems to finds fault in some circumstances.
Like Hamilton dawdling on racing line out of the final corner?
Hamilton wasn’t dawdling though he just seemed to be fighting with the car. Juvenile from Max.
Fighting with the car? He was dawdling on the racing line about to open a lap. Max's telemetry shows he lost close to 10kph apex speed, and that was on a new set of softs compared to old mediums on his previous lap.

hollus

GrizzleBoy wrote:
hollus wrote:
Cs98 wrote:

True. But I think it is in sync in the onboards in F1TV, is it not? Happy to be corrected here.
Cs98 wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 14:38
GrizzleBoy wrote:
hollus wrote:

There's a five second delay on audio, so the message comes right on the exit of T1.
In that case, if it really is 5sec off, I take it back. But is there really?!

The engine noise, the gear shifts, are in perfect sync with the image. It would be weird that the engineer's voice would be delayed. The dialogue between driver and engineer also suggest no audio delay.

Later in teh same onboard: the engineer gives Max an instruction for the steering wheel, Max presses it after 1 second.
Later again, Max crosses the finish lin in his second flying lap, the engineer says "Recharge on, please" aone second and a half later.

There is no audio delay. At least not in the F1TV onboards.

Note, I did some edits last minute as answers were arriving, that's why I copy again below, in the right dialogue order.
Rivals, not enemies.

chrisc90

Weather depending it’s mercs time to shine coming through from the back

Cs98
Cs98

hollus wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 14:43
GrizzleBoy wrote:
hollus wrote:

True. But I think it is in sync in the onboards in F1TV, is it not? Happy to be corrected here.
Cs98 wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 14:38
GrizzleBoy wrote:

The delay varies. Here you can see it's around 5 seconds from the time Max presses the button to when you hear him later in the lap.

The message comes middle of the straight which equates to a second or two after the exit of T1. By that point Hamilton has already backed off.

hollus

The engine noise, the gear shifts, are in perfect sync with the image. It would be weird that the engineer's voice would be delayed. The dialogue between driver and engineer also suggest no audio delay.

Later in the same onboard: the engineer gives Max an instruction for the steering wheel, Max presses it after 1 second.
Later again, Max crosses the finish line in his second flying lap, the engineer says "Recharge on, please" one second and a half later.

Rivals, not enemies.

search

CaribouBread wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 14:29
3 place penalty for leclerc
is this for tomorrow then or does the sprint count as "next race in which the driver participates"

edit: it does, as specified further down in the document: "It should also be noted that this penalty is to apply ONLY to the Sprint and should the driver be unable to contest the Sprint at this event, the penalty shall carry over to the next Sprint (and not the Grand Prix"

Cs98
Cs98

hollus wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 14:57

Later in the same onboard: the engineer gives Max an instruction for the steering wheel, Max presses it after 1 second.
Later again, Max crosses the finish line in his second flying lap, the engineer says "Recharge on, please" one second and a half later.

I've been using F1TV for years, there is definitely a team radio delay. The team radio is only overlayed on top of the car sound effects, causing the varying delay. You used to be able to choose only sound effects or sound effects + team radio. When you say Max makes changes after one second he's really making changes after 5-6 seconds because of the delay. If you want to see what I'm talking about, just look at the lap where the incident happened with LH. Look between turns 3 and 4 on the onboard. Max presses his talk button, the light goes on on his steering wheel, he talks for a second, presses it again to stop transmitting, the sound is only heard after he stops transmitting around 5 seconds from the light first turning on.

I went back and saw it. Talk button pressed, talk button depressed (or is it pressed again), then sound. I felt more like 2 seconds, but there is a small delay for human voices that is not there for engine noises. Interesting. And it does affect this issue, clearly. Thanks.