2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Seerix
Seerix

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

He mentioned in F1TV interview that tyre deg was his biggest worry today. That he was able to pull a gap on Alo at the beginning of the stint, but was slower towards the end because of tyres.
Did not look that bad to me, just roughly repeating what he said.

F1_fan
F1_fan

Why do we think Mclaren will fall back in Silverstone, if Silverston has a lot of medium and high speed corners, at which we were pretty good here in Austria. I hope we can repete this result next weekend with a bit more understanding of upgrades.
Last edited by F1_fan on 02 Jul 2023, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

So any idea why tyre deg is such an issue now? Lando over the last couple of seasons has really developed as a bit of a tyre whisperer, so if he's complaining about it, then it must be quite bad.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

chrisgr
chrisgr

I ve read there is a protest from AM about the result of the race. The reason is unknown for now. I just hope it isn't anything about Norris..

organic

chrisgr wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 18:31
I ve read there is a protest from AM about the result of the race. The reason is unknown for now. I just hope it isn't anything about Norris..
They're protesting the race classification on grounds that many laps in breach of track limits weren't clocked as that. Could be related to Alo-Norris finishing position. We'll have to wait and see

haza
haza

What a performance from lando really did not expect the race pace to be so good surprised to see the astons and the mercs not be able to get close and even Lando being able to stick to the back of the Ferraris, I’ll wait till silverstone/Hungary to see where we really are as this is only one race and we seen in Baku that the car can perform well one race and poor the next

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 18:18
So any idea why tyre deg is such an issue now? Lando over the last couple of seasons has really developed as a bit of a tyre whisperer, so if he's complaining about it, then it must be quite bad.
Tyre degradation was an issue for everyone today at the track… Without a meaningful practice session and little data, it was difficult to know how much tire deg was there… Lando was saving tires as much as possible “just in case” Alonso had better ones at the end of the race and needed to defend… He knew it wasn’t going to be too hard to overtake Sainz in the last stint and was managing the gap to Alonso

mwillems

organic wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 18:33
chrisgr wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 18:31
They're protesting the race classification on grounds that many laps in breach of track limits weren't clocked as that. Could be related to Alo-Norris finishing position. We'll have to wait and see
But I think it might relate to Ferrari and Sainz, only on the grounds that the official reply said AM won the protest, the stewards would review laps and that it was attended by a Ferrari representative...

It doesn't mean they won't review everyone however. It could be good or bad. Or nothing!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

I think Oscar will be a very good driver. But, a bit of me would like to have seen Alex Palou in the car. He really is very good.

ScottR267
ScottR267

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ben1980 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 20:54
I think Oscar will be a very good driver. But, a bit of me would like to have seen Alex Palou in the car. He really is very good.
He is a very good driver… Staring from the back, you can always get in trouble… The incident wasn’t his fault and having to stop for a front wing change killed his race

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

From the article on Motorsport.com, it suggests the AMR protest is specifically related to Ferrari and Carlos Sainz, meaning Lando could benefit and be reclassified 4th. That would be a rare lucky break for McLaren.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Ben1980
Ben1980

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 20:59
Ben1980 wrote:
He is a very good driver… Staring from the back, you can always get in trouble… The incident wasn’t his fault and having to stop for a front wing change killed his race
Not being critical of him. Just really think Palou is a great driver, and would have been good in the team( not that Oscar isn't a good pick)

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
Ar the end of the day, Oscar is a rookie, who also didn't race at all in 2022. He will have his challenges, just like Lando did, but I think he's exceptional and his trajectory is strong. What impresses me the most is the progress he makes accross the sessions, from FP to qualifying.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
From the article on Motorsport.com, it suggests the AMR protest is specifically related to Ferrari and Carlos Sainz, meaning Lando could benefit and be reclassified 4th. That would be a rare lucky break for McLaren.
Yeah I saw the document and thought similar to Motorsport.com

But it would be highly unfair only to check Ferraris laps so I think the scope will be bigger.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit