2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

PikeStance wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 15:30
mwillems wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 14:51
bauc wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 14:44

What? I'm quite sure this is not the case.The deficit was due to a faulty fuel pump design and all Mercedes engines were operated in lean mode in the first 4 races of LAST season. There is less than 1% difference (below 10hp) between all 4 engines currently.
What are the reported Peak BHP output of these engines now?

I say Peak because these engines are so complex that with their Power Curves and the electrical harvesting, you can have a peak of X whereas Team B has a Peak of X-15, but they can sustain the peak for much longer, then Team B have the better setup.
Where do y'all get information like this?... I am not questioning, I am genuinely curious to learn more about it.

Thanks
I don't know much, but engines deliver power in slightly different ways. It's way more complex than just the torque curve but some engines will be marginally better at higher revs than others giving a slightly better top speed.

The electrical systems have been talked to death in here and I'm still stupid when it comes to that stuff. But they have their own Harvesting profiles and methods of delivery of charge through the track, efficiencies etc. They are all very close but different enough that you'll see it a little on track to some degree.

I know no details though, you'd be best reading the car threads or opening up a new thread asking for someone to explain it all. Or googling.

-Bandit

bauc

mwillems wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 15:29
bauc wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 15:28
mwillems wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 14:51

What are the reported Peak BHP output of these engines now?

I say Peak because these engines are so complex that with their Power Curves and the electrical harvesting, you can have a peak of X whereas Team B has a Peak of X-15, but they can sustain the peak for much longer, then Team B have the better setup.
Modern F1 engines produce 840/50 HP (the old fashion way) + 160 HP from the MGU-K (capped at this number) driving the number
to a total of 1000 hp.

1% is 10 hp, and as per GPS data available, f1 teams say and F1 officials say the difference is less than 1%.
I knew we'd hit 1000hp a few years back when the Merc reportedly got their first, but I assumed we'd exceeded that already.
Development was frozen by winter 2021 to accommodate RBR request to acquire Honda IP for the PU (long story remember?). Now, using the new fuel technologies, you can increase the HP marginally but not dramatically so again it will be within of this 1%. Teams are now focusing more on efficiency (gain more for less) instead of brute HP power.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

bauc wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 15:36
mwillems wrote:
bauc wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 15:28

Modern F1 engines produce 840/50 HP (the old fashion way) + 160 HP from the MGU-K (capped at this number) driving the number
to a total of 1000 hp.

1% is 10 hp, and as per GPS data available, f1 teams say and F1 officials say the difference is less than 1%.
I knew we'd hit 1000hp a few years back when the Merc reportedly got their first, but I assumed we'd exceeded that already.
Development was frozen by winter 2021 to accommodate RBR request to acquire Honda IP for the PU (long story remember?). Now, using the new fuel technologies, you can increase the HP marginally but not dramatically so again it will be within of this 1%. Teams are now focusing more on efficiency (gain more for less) instead of brute HP power.
I've since edited, it was Renault in 2019 not Merc as I first thought. This surprises me.

But since 19 there's been a lot of development and even under the freeze the reliability upgrades typically bring more power. You may well be right, but I'm going to keep sniffing around lol

-Bandit

bauc

mwillems wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 15:38
bauc wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 15:36
mwillems wrote:

I've since edited, it was Renault in 2019 not Merc as I first thought. This surprises me.

But since 19 there's been a lot of development and even under the freeze the reliability upgrades typically bring more power. You may well be right, but I'm going to keep sniffing around lol
reliability upgrades typically bring more power

I see what you mean, but usually reliability updates mean you can push to the max for longer periods of time, by which you gain lap time and people might think that the HP increased as well but that is not often the case.

Anyway we went off topic :)

Who is looking for Silverstone, our home gran prix :)
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

I know its hard to see twitter stuff nowadays but this is a cool promo video.

Slahinki
Slahinki

The tease is real. =D>

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Are they foreshadowing a return to a proper livery?

The partnership with Google Chrome should demand a chrome Mclaren livery :lol:

mwillems

If they DON'T turn up with a chrome car then I'll set fire to the world 😂 😂

If it is Chrome and Papaya then I'll start looking for those Infinity Stones I keep seeing on TV and see what can be done about this mad universe

#ThanosHatesPapaya

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

MrGapes

https://formu1a.uno/en/will-the-new-pir ... the-sf-23/

I remember Isola mentioning a structural change for the new Pirelli’s at the coming race, according to some teams, is has a slightly better front end. The more external front end these tyres provide the better it is for Mclaren.

Overall the car still drives the same in my opinion, the mains losses in Austria still came from the same phase in the slower-medium speed, but it has definitely improved massively thus we are able to push even at heavier fuel ranges. I might post a detailed analysis later in the week of where the time is being lost and how the upgrade has improved the car.

Maybe if we get some renders of the new livery we might see the new wing early. I’m a bit skeptical about the chrome livery, I think it would look good if all the carbon and papaya parts were chrome.. But we all know the bare carbon will most likely be retained for weight saving.

Tomsky
Tomsky

Slahinki
Slahinki

Looks like it's the old mirrors, so might not get any other updates present either, but we'll know in due time.

organic

Not enough chrome

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Ron would have never allowed such terrible pictures to be taken on a livery launch. :mrgreen: At least put up some bright lights to highlight the chrome =P~