2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Sieper wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 00:32
chrisc90 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 23:49
Has anyone gone a full season without doing any major upgrades?
I would say the sidepod inlet and undercut reshaping was a major upgrade.
If you look at the Silverstone shakedown pics it looks like the inlets are already rather narrow there.. :wink:

Sieper

organic wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 00:42
Sieper wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 00:32
chrisc90 wrote:
I would say the sidepod inlet and undercut reshaping was a major upgrade.
If you look at the Silverstone shakedown pics it looks like the inlets are already rather narrow there.. :wink:
True, I think so too, but as they didn’t run it at first I think we can still consider it an upgrade?

Paa

chrisc90 wrote:
Brawn in 2009, I guess.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I think it would be wise for RB to dial it back after the summer break. Avoiding upgrades could allow that to happen organically. A bit boring though...I wanted to see where they go with this car, but maybe they save the best for the RB20.

Winning every race this year would not be wise for a number of reasons. It would simply increase the pressure on the FIA to attempt a nerf or significant change to the regulations. It might be smarter to throw some races and keep things interesting. It will be challenging to manage that alongside Verstappen's need to feast on the blood of opponents :lol:
A lion must kill its prey.

Vanja #66

So, Max was definitely back to full throttle this race for the whole time. As I said, those were some big sandbags he dropped yesterday :mrgreen: Lap 4 was insane, he opened up a 1.5s gap to Leclerc and shut the race with it. Laps 5-6 he was harvesting a bit more and from then on Top Speed was mostly consistent. The only difference was Top Speed on the main straight, which is heavily dependant on T10 exit speed, which was getting higher as the fuel went down of course.

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

chrisc90

I think the fact that when the RB’s have the push mode enabled they weren’t clipping at all down the straight out of turn 1. I dare bet that accounts for a lot of pace in a lap overall.

Vanja #66

chrisc90 wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 09:57
I think the fact that when the RB’s have the push mode enabled they weren’t clipping at all down the straight out of turn 1. I dare bet that accounts for a lot of pace in a lap overall.
Well, yes... Of course it does :mrgreen: The sandbagging so far was curious, since there was no clear explanation at what they were doing, but after yesterday's race it's very clear. Here's Canada for comparison, but it was happening at almost every race this season so far, though Jeddah and Miami were difficult to judge since he started down the grid.

And some more details by Juzh

Juzh wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 23:59
This whole thing is just weird.
Look at time delta Ver vs Ham lap 20 and 61. on lap 20 Ver is almost old-renault-like slow on straights, then on lap 61 he's back to expected performance

lap 20
https://i.imgur.com/VTEJung.png

lap 61 (ver in white)
https://i.imgur.com/AyQhfiT.png
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

TNTHead

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 10:59
chrisc90 wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 09:57
Well, yes... Of course it does :mrgreen: The sandbagging so far was curious, since there was no clear explanation at what they were doing, but after yesterday's race it's very clear. Here's Canada for comparison, but it was happening at almost every race this season so far, though Jeddah and Miami were difficult to judge since he started down the grid.

https://i.ibb.co/NVb14QS/22-23-canada-ver.jpg

And some more details by Juzh

Juzh wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 23:59
This whole thing is just weird.
Look at time delta Ver vs Ham lap 20 and 61. on lap 20 Ver is almost old-renault-like slow on straights, then on lap 61 he's back to expected performance

lap 20
https://i.imgur.com/VTEJung.png

lap 61 (ver in white)
https://i.imgur.com/AyQhfiT.png
May be they did want a showdown on the Red Bull ring as their home GP, which could be helpful in RB headquarters as well.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 09:21
So, Max was definitely back to full throttle this race for the whole time. As I said, those were some big sandbags he dropped yesterday :mrgreen: Lap 4 was insane, he opened up a 1.5s gap to Leclerc and shut the race with it. Laps 5-6 he was harvesting a bit more and from then on Top Speed was mostly consistent. The only difference was Top Speed on the main straight, which is heavily dependant on T10 exit speed, which was getting higher as the fuel went down of course.
It would make sense that RB were keen to win their home race, and gave Verstappen all of the tools to do so comfortably. Whereas in other GPs, they might be managing the temperatures and operating parameters a bit more aggressively to do "just enough" to win while minimizing the wear and tear on the equipment.

Ferrari does the same thing in Monza every year. It's nothing unusual.

Cassius
Cassius

AR3-GP wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 15:57
Vanja #66 wrote:
It would make sense that RB were keen to win their home race, and gave Verstappen all of the tools to do so comfortably. Whereas in other GPs, they might be managing the temperatures and operating parameters a bit more aggressively to do "just enough" to win while minimizing the wear and tear on the equipment.

Or this circuit just suits Max' driving style in combination with an RB19 that is strong in rear-limited circuits with lots of high speed corners.

I think Canada was an anomaly with the colder temperatures and the tyre temp issue RB had.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Cassius wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 16:13
AR3-GP wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

Or this circuit just suits Max' driving style in combination with an RB19 that is strong in rear-limited circuits with lots of high speed corners.

I think Canada was an anomaly with the colder temperatures and the tyre temp issue RB had.
I agree that Max is the terror of the Red Bull ring (lol), but the comment was about the PU modes they were using which you can see in the telemetry. In the previous races you could see big clipping at the start of the GP (much slower than Perez) and then much less clipping later in the race. Here they seemed to start in a much higher energy deployment mode than usual.

Willy
Willy

AR3-GP wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 16:27
Cassius wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I agree that Max is the terror of the Red Bull ring (lol), but the comment was about the PU modes they were using which you can see in the telemetry. In the previous races you could see big clipping at the start of the GP (much slower than Perez) and then much less clipping later in the race. Here they seemed to start in a much higher energy deployment mode than usual.
Could it be that Austria is a shorter circuit and hence better energy deployment?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Willy wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 16:48
AR3-GP wrote:
Cassius wrote:

Could it be that Austria is a shorter circuit and hence better energy deployment?
Austria is shorter true, but in the previous GP, when you compared Checo and Max, Checo often had more power available at the start of the race so it doesn't suggest there was a circuit specific recovery limitation. It just suggest Max using a lower mode than Checo.

Vanja has been reporting on this for a few races. It made sense to me.

Cassius
Cassius

AR3-GP wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 16:54
Willy wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Austria is shorter true, but in the previous GP, when you compared Checo and Max, Checo often had more power available at the start of the race so it doesn't suggest there was a circuit specific recovery limitation. It just suggest Max using a lower mode than Checo.

Or was it just tyre saving by lifting and coasting? I just don't believe it is sandbagging. It is more just being conservative.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Cassius wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 17:02
AR3-GP wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 16:54
Willy wrote:

Or was it just tyre saving by lifting and coasting? I just don't believe it is sandbagging. It is more just being conservative.
It’s easy to see the difference between lifting and coasting, and lower deployment in the telemetry. When they are using a lower mode, the throttle remains at 100% and you see the speed just plateaus. This is what Vanja has been showing in his post race reports.

It’s different to lift and coast where you can see in the telemetry that the throttle input goes to zero before the speed drops