2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Cassius
Cassius

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 11:16
LM10 wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 10:32
On another note, both Ferrari’s (and interestingly Sainz even more) were the only cars scraping the floor throughout the complete main straight. Can we suggest that Ferrari is able to run the floor so low and have no issues anymore?
Ferrari's still generating floor downforce in a way that also leads to the most bouncing, so it's hard to judge the ride height based on this. On the other hand, they were great in S2 in Q, but Max blew them away in S2 in the Race. So the core issue of ride height sensitivity at the start of the race compared to the leading car on the grid is still very much present.

Funny enough, Leclerc had a very comparable stint 3 on Hards vs Max' stint 2 on Hards, with fuel load offset of course - so when the car is lighter and takes the corners faster it drops down more than RB (which is already as low as possible) and gains extra downforce that way. It will be interesting to see if they keep the classic Venturi floor or they try something different already later this season.
First of all, Max still seemed faster by 0.3-0.5s correcting for fuel load on the hards. Secondly, he didn't need to push, but to just manage the pace until Leclerc's last stop. Leclerc however had to push on the hards a bit as he was expecting a challenge from Perez. Finally, one relative weakness of the RB compared to others is the understeer on hards. Whether it is car or setup related I don't know, but we saw it in many races, Canada and now also Austria. A bit similar to last year although with the RB19 they have dialled most of it out.

Cassius
Cassius

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 08:15
Pierre Wache is mentioned again as the top-end RB engineer joining Ferrari...

https://scuderiafans.com/f1-rumour-in-a ... n-ferrari/

No idea if it's just a speculation on the name, or someone spilled some beans...
In May the rumour was Enrico Balbo now it is Waché.

If he is allowed to start already in 2024, I don't think RB will bring him to races. Waché still gave an interview a few days back. Was he at Austria? I think they would have put him at inactive already, as RB is already working on the RB20.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Motorsport Italy says there will be a new diffuser for Silverstone

codetower

Cassius wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 16:31
Vanja #66 wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 11:16
LM10 wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 10:32
On another note, both Ferrari’s (and interestingly Sainz even more) were the only cars scraping the floor throughout the complete main straight. Can we suggest that Ferrari is able to run the floor so low and have no issues anymore?
Ferrari's still generating floor downforce in a way that also leads to the most bouncing, so it's hard to judge the ride height based on this. On the other hand, they were great in S2 in Q, but Max blew them away in S2 in the Race. So the core issue of ride height sensitivity at the start of the race compared to the leading car on the grid is still very much present.

Funny enough, Leclerc had a very comparable stint 3 on Hards vs Max' stint 2 on Hards, with fuel load offset of course - so when the car is lighter and takes the corners faster it drops down more than RB (which is already as low as possible) and gains extra downforce that way. It will be interesting to see if they keep the classic Venturi floor or they try something different already later this season.
First of all, Max still seemed faster by 0.3-0.5s correcting for fuel load on the hards. Secondly, he didn't need to push, but to just manage the pace until Leclerc's last stop. Leclerc however had to push on the hards a bit as he was expecting a challenge from Perez. Finally, one relative weakness of the RB compared to others is the understeer on hards. Whether it is car or setup related I don't know, but we saw it in many races, Canada and now also Austria. A bit similar to last year although with the RB19 they have dialled most of it out.
From what I've read this morning, seems Ferrari has made significant progress in reducing or eliminating the porpoising with all the latest upgrades. This is allowing them a bigger setup window with a lower ride height. This is good news.

Additionally, there are reports they are bringing in a new diffuser to Silverstone. Along with the new Pirelli tyres, I'm becoming more and more optimistic as the season progresses. :)

Here's the article on porpoising:
https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-no-por ... bull-ring/

Xyz22
Xyz22

So i was able to watch quite a lot of onboards from the race. The understeer of the SF 23 is still massive. Leclerc was struggling so much to rotate the car out of the corners. It seems Sainz can deal with this limitation in a better way at the moment. I have no idea what Mercedes and AM did to perform that badly in this track, by the way.

Vanja #66

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 12:31
And even with those mistakes, he still is up in the table. That is not luck, even if you can only attribute Sainz merits to luck #-o , it is not the case, he´s up in the table on merit, and deserves a respect. But for some reason you are unable to provide a minimum respect to one Ferrari driver, while at the same time you invent excuses for every mistake the other Ferrari driver do #-o
Ferrari (Xavi+reliability) cost Leclerc at least 3 more podiums and at least of 52 points. As a result, Sainz gained 4 points and had his chances to get another podium and 27 more points because of Leclec's misfortune - but he made amateur mistakes and lost them. He also lost 7 more points and a podium all on his own yesterday. He's insanely lucky to be in front. Or it's a Spanish connection with Xavi, powered by Santander :)

I said he had a good race on Saturday. It was the only good race of his this year.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

You can really see the limitations of this car in the telemetry, not only against RB, but also the 2022 car.
Last edited by Xyz22 on 03 Jul 2023, 17:51, edited 2 times in total.

Vanja #66

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 12:31
Andres125sx wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 13:03
Sainz impeding...
Vanja #66 wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 15:31
Sainz' Q3 lap and the lack of awareness and respect for other drivers in the final chicane are simply appaling. I want to say someone in the team should talk to him about it, but everyone else is dropping the ball just as bad #-o
Lecrerc impeding...
Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 17:13
It was an in lap and a bs penalty. Max impeeded Lewis and there wasn't even an investigation. As usual, monetisation favourites get a preferential treatment.
Some double standards are extremelly disgusting :sick: ](*,) #-o

It´s your refusal to accept reality what leads to frustration and needlessly biased discussions on this thread, if you could keep some respect to Sainz, Ferrari driver, in this Ferrari thread, there would be a lot less useless discussions :wink:
I have no idea how you can compare Sainz being warned multiple times and still staying on the racing line with Leclerc not being warned in time and staying on the line for pit entry as required by rules

#BlessYouLaddie

Vanja #66

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 12:41
On lap 17 he did pass Norris.
On lap 19 he did pass Hamilton
On lap 20 he did pass Perez!! :shock:

So he did recover 3rd position
He passed two cars on harder tyres and one car on completely shot, 20-lap old tyres. Good for him :)

#BlessYouLaddie

Vanja #66

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 12:41
If he was able to pass RBR, I guess he could pass Ferrari... if he was allowed, but that was not the case, he received TOs to not try a pass on Lecrerc, despite he was leading the table, and actually he still leads #-o

Even so he made some mistakes and Lecrerc deserves his final position, but at that point in the race, there was no reason to provide TOs and deprive theirselves from a small but real chance to fight for victory. I don´t think they had any real chance, but it´s first time I see a F1 team ignoring the chance for victory when they start the race 2nd and 3rd, as that provides a huge advantage to push the leader, split strategies, and force the leader to make a perfect race. Wich btw he didn´t, as not pitting under VSC was a huge mistake for RBR, but Ferrari deprived theirselves from any chance to victory
He was attacking Leclerc in spite of team's agreement and was able to keep up only because of DRS and Leclerc managing tyres. Perez on shot 20-lap-old tyres has nothing in common with Leclerc on same tyres - even when he was managing tyres :lol:

#BlessYouLaddie

Vanja #66

Cassius wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 16:45
Actually, the rumour was both of them were contacted a while back. Wache would be more valuable to Ferrari and would likely be offered a TD position and a massive pay.

#BlessYouLaddie

organic

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 17:55
Cassius wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 16:45
Actually, the rumour was both of them were contacted a while back. Wache would be more valuable to Ferrari and would likely be offered a TD position and a massive pay.
I don't think pay can sway waché from RB as I believe he is in the top 3 exemptions from the cap already there.. so they would be able to increase spending on him without worry presumably

deadhead

Xyz22 wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 17:20
So i was able to watch quite a lot of onboards from the race. The understeer of the SF 23 is still massive. Leclerc was struggling so much to rotate the car out of the corners. It seems Sainz can deal with this limitation in a better way at the moment. I have no idea what Mercedes and AM did to perform that badly in this track, by the way.
Doesn't sound good. Why is understeer so hard to eradicate from the cars in general?

I'm surprised that LEC is doing as well as he is in this car.

He did say he was more comfortable with it after the race, so imagine how bad it must've been prior to the upgrades.

organic

deadhead wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 19:49
Xyz22 wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 17:20
Doesn't sound good. Why is understeer so hard to eradicate from the cars in general?

I'm surprised that LEC is doing as well as he is in this car
Most of the cars have understeer on at least one compound. I think with the new suspension regulations, heavier cars, and the new aerodynamic balance caused by the majority of the downforce generated by underfloor venturi the tendency is for more understeer. As the teams find it easier to jettison more weight which will happen as the regs mature they will have greater freedom with ballast, but they're still somewhat limited by the centre of pressure being further rearward due to the way df is generated.

Even RB who seem to have pretty good balance across most tracks have pretty bad limitations with understeer compared to what max would prefer and was able to drive in pre-2022 cars. These regs just have a bias towards understeer. Pretty much only mercedes have a car that is oversteering and that's ultimately down to a rear that lacks df. They haven't arrived there deliberately but their rear hasn't delivered the df they were expecting

scuderiabrandon

I think weight is the primary reason for understeer. Also the absence of high rake angles on these cars could be a big contributor to low speed understeer.