McLaren MCL60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
CjC
CjC

Re: McLaren MCL60

The wing mirrors are different too on Norris’ upgrade
Just a fan's point of view

mclaren111

CjC wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 00:48
Indeed...

CjC
CjC

mclaren111 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 10:56
CjC wrote:
Indeed...

https://i.ibb.co/1nXz8cH/Fz6n1-O0-WAAI7mah.jpg
Yea, what I find interesting is a few seasons ago it’s was all the rage to have the winglet above the mirror housing. Now Mclaren have reverted back to a more normal wing mirror housing and support- just like the Red Bull (I haven’t checked the other teams)
Just a fan's point of view

michl420
michl420

CjC wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 14:37
mclaren111 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 10:56
CjC wrote:
Indeed...

https://i.ibb.co/1nXz8cH/Fz6n1-O0-WAAI7mah.jpg
Yea, what I find interesting is a few seasons ago it’s was all the rage to have the winglet above the mirror housing. Now Mclaren have reverted back to a more normal wing mirror housing and support- just like the Red Bull (I haven’t checked the other teams)
Almost every team remove them when they bring updates.

MTudor
MTudor

mwillems wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 15:49
MTudor wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 20:44
How much of a differentiator are the sidepods? Yes they help and they need to work with the package but my understanding from comments from many teams, including Mercedes recently, is that the sidepods aren't much of a differentiator. Mercedes specifically stating that their time wasn't found from the sidepods and that the significant change did not represent significant time found, it was just a bit more optimal.

The floor is where the geometry is so car specific that you can't really copy other peoples designs and this is where I am more concerned about whether we have found the time and where we have focussed our innovation.

The sidepods act like skirts in the 80's and they direct the air to the floor by sealing it,that's my understanding.
I've just realised you've deleted some of the quotes so my text looks like yours.
Everything bar the last line around sidepods sealing the floor is from my post on the last page and the final line is your reply.

Incidentally, sidepods now will deal outwash from the tyres and push air down the the diffuser and won't seal the floor. That is done using the tunnels and by using the floor to generate vortices to further seal the floor.
mwillems wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 14:22
proteus wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 14:17

Ferrari had their original idea and they ditched it, Mercedes had one and ditched, Williams had one and ditched it, Alpine had theirs and they changed it, Haas had one and changed it, also AMR... To me it looks like RedBull was spot on right from the start and majority of the field is copying what they came up with last year allready. Every single team above tried their own version of sidepods last year and they all more or less failed, with Ferrari being the most succesfull. And all implemented some kind of RbR style in the end.

How much of a differentiator are the sidepods? Yes they help and they need to work with the package but my understanding from comments from many teams, including Mercedes recently, is that the sidepods aren't much of a differentiator. Mercedes specifically stating that their time wasn't found from the sidepods and that the significant change did not represent significant time found, it was just a bit more optimal.

The floor is where the geometry is so car specific that you can't really copy other peoples designs and this is where I am more concerned about whether we have found the time and where we have focussed our innovation.

Somebody mentioned a new rear wing soon, but I think we've already had it. I'm expecting new front wing and diffuser and possibly some new suspension and some of the pieces around it.
Sorry that I deleted ur messages and that I was pretending to be mine,but I'm fairly new on this page and I still find it chalenging at time.
I apologize again.

mwillems

MTudor wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 08:29
mwillems wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 15:49
MTudor wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 20:44

The sidepods act like skirts in the 80's and they direct the air to the floor by sealing it,that's my understanding.
I've just realised you've deleted some of the quotes so my text looks like yours.
Everything bar the last line around sidepods sealing the floor is from my post on the last page and the final line is your reply.

Incidentally, sidepods now will deal outwash from the tyres and push air down the the diffuser and won't seal the floor. That is done using the tunnels and by using the floor to generate vortices to further seal the floor.
mwillems wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 14:22

Somebody mentioned a new rear wing soon, but I think we've already had it. I'm expecting new front wing and diffuser and possibly some new suspension and some of the pieces around it.
Sorry that I deleted ur messages and that I was pretending to be mine,but I'm fairly new on this page and I still find it chalenging at time.
I apologize again.
I totally understood it was an accident, I was just confused. Welcome to the Forum :D
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mclaren111

Small "indent" on the Sidepod ? Or shadows again ?
Last edited by mclaren111 on 04 Jul 2023, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

mclaren111

organic

The mouse hole on the new package is very minimal. Curious.

mclaren111

Last edited by mclaren111 on 04 Jul 2023, 14:51, edited 2 times in total.

mclaren111

Planetf1:
McLaren combine new ideas with already proven concept
Another interesting detail on the new McLaren is the support cable, which literally passes through the back of the bodywork. Although this solution is not the most elegant, they saved a few precious grams on the car. Another reason for such an unusual design is the change in the rear suspension, which is now very similar to that of Red Bull, as you can see from the picture below...

The new concept of the suspension allows significantly larger openings, which is very important with the change of sidepods. Moreover, these two systems work together to provide maximum diffuser and beam wing efficiency.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-u ... rand-prix/

New Rear Suspension ??

Tomsky
Tomsky

mclaren111 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 12:06
New Rear Suspension...
The FIA documents do not confirm this.

mclaren111

organic wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 11:42
The mouse hole on the new package is very minimal. Curious.
Indeed...

Farnborough
Farnborough

I understand the focus of air volume going through between wheel and diffuser wall is to provide virtual soft seal of diffuser to ground at variable heights (this was the reason in exhaust blown config) to bring consistency to diffuser performance over much wider transient range.

The mousehole I understand to "feed" the diffuser at lowest floor to ground point, in chassis position, and prevent it from going absolute full "suck" when the main floor approaches ground, this to mitigate porpoising as the diffuser responses goes over curve response when fully sealed.

The mousehole must be proportional to the "leak" they need in keeping diffuser flow alive at full "clamp" and try to avoid it bouncing the chassis into the tire wall response, to then ping it upward in uncontrolled fashion.... we may see that mousehole geometry trimmed as more familiarisation gets going with new aero.

vorticism

A lot of parallax difference between those two photos, note.
𓄀