Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vorticism

Re: Red Bull RB19

Looks like they use a damper with an internal pivot and remote reservoire on the tray:

motorsport.com

+1 Salvatore. Do you have a version without the green? Interesting junction at the portal; looks like it acts as a cooling vent down to the floor (probably, typical).
𓄀

vorticism

Impressive. Using remote Leica touch probe to inspect t-tray position.

𓄀

organic

vorticism wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 19:30
Looks like they use a damper with an internal pivot and remote reservoire on the tray:

https://cdn-7.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... cal-1.webp
motorsport.com

+1 Salvatore. Do you have a version without the green? Interesting junction at the portal; looks like it acts as a cooling vent down to the floor (probably, typical).
If I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly, I believe the suspension has always inserted into a blister in the bodywork that presumably acts as a cooling outlet. Has been a feature since early RB18

vorticism

organic wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 19:55
If I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly, I believe the suspension has always inserted into a blister in the bodywork that presumably acts as a cooling outlet. Has been a feature since early RB18
It's not new, just haven't seen it up close yet. It consequential, but the flow behavior between arm, vent, and floor might be beneficial.
𓄀

ringo

I saw mebtion of RB19 lower wishbone fairings in the mclaren thread. Was this looked at here?
Could there be an aerodynamic role for the fairings to play if the rear of the car squats down and the relative position of the fairings to the top of the diffuser changes?
Just looking at the downwash section of the sidepod it terminates right into the lowrr wishbone fairing flow path.
For Sure!!

Stu

ringo wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 04:00
I saw mebtion of RB19 lower wishbone fairings in the mclaren thread. Was this looked at here?
Could there be an aerodynamic role for the fairings to play if the rear of the car squats down and the relative position of the fairings to the top of the diffuser changes?
Just looking at the downwash section of the sidepod it terminates right into the lowrr wishbone fairing flow path.
As they are fairings, they can only have an aerodynamic effect (primarily reducing the drag of the suspension arms), any other effect is secondary - even if it doesn’t look like it!
By placing the forward suspension element so close to the ‘off-ramp’ and floor it may be generating a small amount of local load, but primarily is stabilising the flow in this area.
The rules are very prescriptive regarding fairing dimensions, to reduce downforce generation, but because of the complex flow patterns and the angles of the elements it would be impossible to prove one way or another.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Nice picture of the strakes. By andreas haput / amus

Vanja #66

Damn, that leading edge curvature gives a whole new perspective on their floor... It does explain this a lot better, though

organic wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 11:20
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

nico5

CaribouBread wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 12:09
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0WE9inXsAA ... me=900x900
My god, didn't know lip surgery on F1 floors was a thing.

AMG.Tzan

CaribouBread wrote:
Why is the bodywork above the inlet so thick??

Is the side impact crash structure housed in there?
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Stu

The best comparison that I can think of is inlet trumpets for carbs/throttle bodies.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

Are we not supposed to bring new floor this weekend?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dxpetrov wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 17:42
You might as well close up this thread for the season :lol:

organic

dxpetrov wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 17:42
Marko said no updates for silverstone in a post-race interview with ORF. Interview and timestamp is linked in team thread as well as translation of what he said. No need to bring floor if not needed. IMO it's ready to be brought to the car but they won't introduce it unless they need it to retain a performance advantage - similar to how the new chassis was ready since Spa last year but wasn't used until 2023

Can't see anything new in photos so far. Single element BW with medium DF RW. About what I expected.

Albert Fabrega [@albertfabrega] tweet:
The Red Bull in Silverstone

shady
shady

AMG.Tzan wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 14:46
CaribouBread wrote:
Why is the bodywork above the inlet so thick??

Is the side impact crash structure housed in there?
It is a primary suction surface (you will also see this chord depth on the leading edge of airplane wings) - How it interacts or anything further than that I do not know.